OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica scope, German no 1 reticle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica scope, German no 1 reticle?
    Posted: September/10/2012 at 09:21
Why is the no 1 reticle so rare? It seems like a good choice for low light hunting; it would work very well in dense brush and allows precise shots with the sharp tip of the bottom post. 
I think that i want a Leica 2.5-10x42 with the #1 reticle, for a .338 hunting rifle. This reticle seems even better than the #4 reticles on the market, because the bottom post goes all the way up to where the POI is; it is visible in low light. I have used #4s in the past. In low light the center crosshairs fade away and i am left centering the target between the thick posts, but this is not so precise. 

Any comments on the Leica scope optics and the #1 reticle ? 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 09:42
when I think of precise shot its usually prone, with lots of time, and something in the 20x class of scopes, and certainly not prone from a .338 (light wt. hunting class 338 not my trg 42). The #1 reminds me of the very popular redfield post in the 80's (still have one although it sets on a 77/22). These worked great, and so should the Leica.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 10:17
anweis,
Can´t comment on the Leica scope but share your affection for german reticle No.1 It´s a pity that Zeiss stopped the production.

Dale Clifford,
"The Redfield post" is that the same reticle as japanese Banner´s from the 80´s ? (that means it´s close to German No 2, the thicker vertical post rises above the thin horisontal "line") or close to
German No 14 (the thicker vertical post is level with the thin horisontal line)

Gerry Atric
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 11:54
That Leica scope is very nice...the glass is excellent. Mine had the #4A but I think the #1 looks great for low light. In a rating, John Barnsness rated the Leica among the best he had ever tested. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 19:10
I have that very scope -- Leica ER 2.5-10X42 with the German #1 reticle.  I love both scope and reticle.
The scope is as good as or better than any hunting scope made on the planet.  The reticle is as good as it gets for low light visibility without an illuminated reticle.  The posts are very thick.

The #1 has never been popular among American shooters, most likely because traditional crosshair and plexes have been the most common reticles available in the scopes sold in the US market.  Manufacturers don't make what doesn't sell. 

It's a common misconception that post reticles aren't conducive to precision aiming, but this is false.  You should aim with the very tip of the sharp point at the top of the post, and it subtends no more of the target than a fine crosshair would.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 19:21
if you can hold that fine standing, most can't
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 20:36
20 rounds 7.62x51 @ 100 yards with Kahles ZF84 (German #1)... off bipod with stock rest...  rapid fire changing mag after every 5 rounds... 24 Oct 2010...
I was actually trying to separate the shots out a little because I was testing 4 different loads using the Barnes TTSX 168gr bullet...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 08:17
From what i was able to find, the subtensions for the posts in the #1 Leica are:
at 2.5x and 100 m, the post covers 40 mm (about 1.5")
at 10x and 100m, the post covers 10 mm (about 0.4"). 

The thickness is what attracts me. It's a fast point and shoot reticle for very dense brush, both eyes open at 2.5x, it works very well in low light, and it allows slow aimed precise shots when there is time, with the tip. Also, the three posts are not very far apart: at 15-60 meters, just bracket the chest of a big animal and fire.A heavy and very obvious reticle is best when the critters run towards me. The last thing i want is to waste a second looking for a fine crosshair.

Does this sound about right?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 11:11
Yep, and your reasoning is precisely why I picked the #1 reticle in my ER.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 19:44
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

20 rounds 7.62x51 @ 100 yards with Kahles ZF84 (German #1)... off bipod with stock rest...  rapid fire changing mag after every 5 rounds... 24 Oct 2010...
I was actually trying to separate the shots out a little because I was testing 4 different loads using the Barnes TTSX 168gr bullet...

Holy Bat crap Dan!! NICE shooting!!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2012 at 03:38
Just an FYI, but Meopta still offers the #1 reticle in a wide selection of Meostar and Artemis scopes in EU/ROW markets. It never became a popular seller in the USA so it hasn't been offered for a while, but special requests can always be made.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2012 at 00:15
I really hope the manufacturers are listening here. Especially the German ones.

WE NEED MORE #1 RETICLE SCOPES!!!!
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2012 at 18:06
I just get hold of a Leica ER 2,5-10x42 with the #1 reticle for use on my Hawkeye in 375 Ruger.
All based on the feedback from you guys on this site!
They are about as common as hens teeth here where I live, so I concider myself very lucky Big Smile
I think this scope was intended primary for the US marked as it has 1/4" clicks and  a SFP reticle?

About the # 1 reticle, it is very good in low light, dense brush and fast shot on moving targets.
A bit oldfashioned perhaps compared to all the new gismos, but a true hunting reticle it is!
Today, only Leica Magnus are found on these shores, obviously competing with Zeiss and Swarovski in the top segment it seems.

Seawolf
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2012 at 08:25
Seawolf-How do you like the Leica compared to your Zeiss ?
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2012 at 09:03
cbm
I have two Zeiss Victory scopes with the Lotutec coating.
One is 2,5-10x50 reticle #4, the other 3-12x56, reticle #40 (illuminated)

Comparing the Leica and the x50 Zeiss, I would say that the Leica follow the Zeiss to the doorstep.
It is clear, crisp, and both color and contrast is on par with the Zeiss.
Naturally it looses with a few minutes when darkness fall, but the #1 stayes very clear against even dark background.

Against the big x56 Zeiss it takes the backseat in regard of low light perfomance, but still, it is impressing how long the Leica tags along.
Glasswise I can´t say which is better, but bear in mind that this is based on my eyes (which are 67 years old Wink).
A young person with exellent eyesight, might be abe to tell another tale.

Bottom line is that the leica ER scopes is a bargain the way I see it (pun intended Smile)
Seawolf
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 08:46
Thanks ! I have been looking at the Leica's for a while. I knew you do a lot of low light hunting so I really appreciate your opinion. I want to stick with a 42-44mm objective so I am looking for the best in that range. I know I can't get alpha class 56mm performance but I am hoping one is pretty close !
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 09:01
Originally posted by seawolf seawolf wrote:

cbm
I have two Zeiss Victory scopes with the Lotutec coating.
One is 2,5-10x50 reticle #4, the other 3-12x56, reticle #40 (illuminated)

Comparing the Leica and the x50 Zeiss, I would say that the Leica follow the Zeiss to the doorstep.
It is clear, crisp, and both color and contrast is on par with the Zeiss.
Naturally it looses with a few minutes when darkness fall, but the #1 stayes very clear against even dark background.

Against the big x56 Zeiss it takes the backseat in regard of low light perfomance, but still, it is impressing how long the Leica tags along.
Glasswise I can´t say which is better, but bear in mind that this is based on my eyes (which are 67 years old Wink).
A young person with exellent eyesight, might be abe to tell another tale.

Bottom line is that the leica ER scopes is a bargain the way I see it (pun intended Smile)

I've compared my Leica ER 2.5-10X42 against those exact same Zeiss Victory scopes (albeit with different reticles), and my observations exactly mirror yours. The Leica ER holds it's own against anything. By any measure, it's world-class.
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 17:53
I have been spending some qulity time with two Leica scopes this year: 3.5-14x42 and 2.5-10x42.  To say that I am impressed would be a major understatement.

They easily hang with anything else out there while having their own "character" so to speak.  Every scope maker has something that sets them apart.  For Leica, it is the mounting flexibility and an incredibly user friendly image with nice contrast, large sweetspot and rich colors.

ILya
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 03:21
I have to pull this thread back up again as I need some help from you experts.

On my Leica ER scope there is what Leica calls ASV (Absehen-Shnellverstellung), which is more or less a fast elevation adjustment or bullet drop compensator (BDC).

I know what it is supposed to do, but for my use on my 375 Ruger Hawkeye African, long range shooting is not an issue.
The BDC can be zeroed  when one has found the right setting for the actual load and bullet.
There should be a small hex key supplied with the scope (1,3 mm) but that one is missing and I have on ordered at a local tool shop.

Thing is that I´m a bit worried about accidently turning the turret out of zero in the heat of the hunt.
I would much more prefered an standard elevation turret with a cap on.
That way I could zero the rifle and leave it there.

I have the trajectory for my bullet/load out to 300 meters, and the drop with 2,5 cm/1" high at 100 meters is 52 cm/20,5" at 300m.
That mean I can easely hold over if the ranges get a bit longish rather than get my reading glasses on and start turning the knob.

And I guess if I decide to use the BDC, I also had to do a job to figure out the corrolation of the knob according to the actual drop of my bullet?
This is getting a bit complicated for an old man like me....

Do I better leave it alone an put a pice of tape over the BDC?
Other than that, the scope is top notch and I just love the bold #1 reticle.

Seawolf
rd7fox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rd7fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2013 at 10:13
For me, and I have several high end scopes and  my overall favorite has become the Leica ER 2.5-x10x42. I will describe it in one word, stunning! Once most look thru one, and the price is factored in, it becomes a most tempting choice.

I have the plex and 4a both in 2.5-10x42.  I have sat evening after evening comparing zeiss victories and conquests, swarovski  z3s and Kahles cls against each other, and for me, the Leica and Kahles are just a bit more superb for my eyes.

If it could be any better, I would go with the #1 reticle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic