OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Heckler & Koch SL8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heckler & Koch SL8
    Posted: September/06/2012 at 16:18
Thoughts?  Anyone used one?  Would be used for plinking and SHTF.  Just looking at something "different"
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 16:23
No experience with the SL8, but it is based on the G36, of which I am a fan.

H&K is generally well regarded, buy it, play with it, if you don't like it, sell it for what you paid.  Nice thing about them is they tend to keep their value.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 16:29
I'm leaning towards it.  Found one for a good price.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 16:53
They look a little bigger than the G36, but still really nice though.

I say go for it and let's all go pig hunting. JS.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 16:54
Wowza, did you see how much that thing weighted?  9.3 lbs unloaded.  By the time you add optics and ammo you will have an 11lb rifle.  Kind of heavy for its intended use IMO.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2012 at 08:05
Yeah its heavy for sure.  But then again most of my AR's are about that weight except my SBR.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2012 at 21:34
Do you want a .223?  What about an FN  SCAR 17 in .308 ?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2012 at 00:49
IMHO you should take a look at the 7.62 LaRue PredatAR and PredatOBR with the 16.5 inch barrel.
Yes, I have both the SCAR 17 and the LaRue, magazines are much easier to find for the LaRue and cheaper, if you order either gun try to get at least six extra mags, more if you do a lot of run & gun type stuff.
LaRue know that they are in a "service industry" and try to please the customer, they are easy to deal with, they tell you it could take up to sixteen weeks but delivered mine in thirteen.
The AR manual of arms works and triggers and grips for the AR will work, the guns are very accurate and so far very reliable with quality ammo and you can use LaRue or P-Mags.
The SCAR can destroy some optics...I believe mine may have taken out my Swaro Z6 1-6 and also damaged a Weaver but I think that a Leupold EFR 3x9 that is airgun rated might work, stripping is different and magazines can be hard to get and very expensive but man is it fun to shoot, very smooth.
I don't get turned on by really heavy 5.56 systems, don't see the point.
The Colt 901 is heavier than the LaRue PredatAR or SCAR 17 but you might check on it and I have heard but not verified that you can fit a standard AR 5.56, 6.8 or 6.5 Grendal upper on it and reports so far give it a thumbs up for reliability.
The H&K SL8 is clunky to use and to heavy for a carbine in 5.56, if you like strange French cars you might like the H&K.
Art

Good day.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2012 at 21:27
I wouild agree that, at that weight, you are getting near 308 territory. That said, i've spent a bit of time behind the G36 and liked it, handeled well for the weight, reliable, controls were easy, recoil was actually quite easy, and it aimed well for me. I like SCARs, mostly the heavies, not a LaRue fan, for the owner than his wares.
Get the hk, don't like it, you will have little problem selling it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic