OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver 1..5-6x24 Super Slam Euro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver 1..5-6x24 Super Slam Euro
    Posted: September/26/2012 at 22:41
A friend recently put one on a Remington Custom Shop 700 .338 Win Mag and loves it.  I've looked through it out to 200 yards and the optical quality was excellent.  He's setting it up for Alaska so has put well over 100 rounds through through the rifle with no issues so far.  I've owned various Weavers over the years that have been very reliable and provided good overall optical quality for the money.  I keep several older US made K 4s and a K 6 on hand I've used for years that have rotated through a number of nice used classic hunting and varmint rifles from that period that come and go.  One or two always seem to be in the safe.  They look correct on the rifles and have taken animals from over 100 yards to 280 yards last year, a decent  4 x 3 Mulie using a K 4 on a Savage 99 in 250 Savage.  I just bought a 3-15 Weaver Tactical FFP scope for a Savage .308 that seems to be a bargain and so far, based on limited shooting out to 200 yards, is very impressive.  I plan to shoot it against Vari-X II, VX II and Nikon Monarchs I own in similar power ranges to compare overall optical quality, functionality and shooting impressions.  I'll put some comments on the forum after fire season ends and I can shoot steel out to 1000 yards. 
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 15:46
While I've not had the opportunity to do a low light comparison side by side as of yet, I'm amazed at the brightness and clarity of this scope every time I use it. I have had it out in decreasing light in the woods and experimented with the illuminated dot. There are times when the green is preferable vs the red, but its nice to have the choice. 5 levels of brightness are adequate, but neither color is visible in bright light.

This is a FFP scope, but might have been better thought out as 2nd FP with heavy duplex/dot for a hunting scope. I'm not criticizing as much as thinking out loud..... fabulous glass!
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 17:55
Thanks for the info & keep us up to date........
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 14:28
good review so far.  Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 14:24
Now that I've had a chance to look at and through the scope, I'll say that I'm pleased. The turrets are large and the scope is heavy for a "compact, low magnification variable". It is noticeably larger and heavier than a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5.

The glass is exceedingly bright, clear, and sharp. The turrets are the capless "pull up to adjust variety, and clicks are very distinct. There are 5 levels of illumination for the 2.5moa center dot in both red and green. The illumination does flare if set too bright, but lessens if the eye is perfectly centered. Eye relief seems generous.

The reticle is better than expected in regards to the depictions that I've seen. In that it is FFP, the reticle size does change as the magnification is adjusted. Its a German #4 with center dot. The outer posts are pretty heavy, but give way (17moa from center) to finer crosshairs that extend ALMOST to the center dot. The distance from the center of the dot to the ends of the fine posts appears close to 4moa, and they are distinct enough to use as an alternate aiming point.

I'll give it a low light comparison to my other hunting scopes when I get a chance.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2012 at 15:17
I don't think you will be disappointed. Let us know how it works out!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2012 at 11:23
Having read numerous positive comments about Weaver Super Slams, I've decided to take the plunge. I'll compare it to several compact, low magnification variables that I already have. My purpose is primarily for a woods hunting rig, and it will be my first with illumination.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 18:40
haven't tried that particular model, but the 2-10 42 super slam I tried was very nice. 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 18:18
Has anyone actually tried this scope? The MSRP is pretty high, but it is listed as FFP and illuminated reticle, so appeals to me, especially at the discounted price and $50 rebate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic