OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Browning X-Bolt Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Browning X-Bolt Review
    Posted: September/05/2012 at 17:38
Since I already had the thing out today, I figured I'd do a video on it...
Remember, I'm just an amateur (it's not scripted or anything)
Hope you like it Smile

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 18:23
Thanks for posting! 

Didn't get a chance to see it all, but will continue this tomorrow. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 18:47
Yea I know it drags on. I'm not very good at this I guess Big Smile

-A. Einstein
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 18:54
Originally posted by Trickster Trickster wrote:

Yea I know it drags on. I'm not very good at this I guess Big Smile

No, I didn't meant that. I thought it was fine, I just have been moving around on the intra-webs this evening and can't sit still long enough to watch it.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 19:00
Well, in that case, thank you. Glad you like it Smile

-A. Einstein
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 19:53
Thanks for the review! I've actually been considering an xbolt micro in 7-08 but none of my local stores have the xbolt so I have been unable to get a better look at it, so I found your review to be helpful 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 06:56
Nice job! I had an X-Bolt a few years ago when they first surfaced. The fit and finish was excellent, and I distinctly remember the checkering as sharp and very functional. It was a .270 WSM and shot well. I thought the feel and handling ergos were also very nice. It was rather nice to say the least. Congrats.  Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 07:11
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Thanks for the review! I've actually been considering an xbolt micro in 7-08 but none of my local stores have the xbolt so I have been unable to get a better look at it, so I found your review to be helpful 

I bought the Micro Midas in .243 for my daughter and it's sweet. It's a little tack driver and I like shooting it as well.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 13:38
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

I bought the Micro Midas in .243 for my daughter and it's sweet. It's a little tack driver and I like shooting it as well.

Thanks Mike! That just sealed the deal for me ( actually for my wife )
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
maxx442 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maxx442 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2012 at 00:18
I bought an X-bolt last year, also in .270 WSM, to replace my inheirited Grand Dad's Winchester 88 which I passed down to my son.

By far one of the nicest rifles I've ever owned. I zero all my high powered rifles @ 200 yards and got nice (for me) 1 to 1 1/4 inch groupings at that distance. I used my Nikon Buckmasters 4-12 X 50 and was shooting Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 150 gr rounds.

Browning uses their own four screw scope bases that are pretty heavy duty but a touch pricey, not sure if there is an aftermarket option on those yet.

I opted for the Hunter grade as opposed to the Medallion grade mainly because of the difference in finishes. The Medallions are very nice and slick, just didn't want to have to worry about scratching it in the field.

So far it is two for two, as far as hunting is concerned. Filled both of my whitetail tags last year with it. Four point buck @ 175 yds and a nice doe @ around 100 yds.
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2012 at 03:46
Quote Browning uses their own four screw scope bases that are pretty heavy duty but a touch pricey, not sure if there is an aftermarket option on those yet.

There are a few manufacturers that make mounts and bases for the X-Bolt (I did quite a lot of research, looking for a new set of mounts for my rifle).

Talley's lightweight mounts are available for the X-Bolt. Leupold pretty much makes all of their bases for the X-Bolt (QD, Weaver and Dovetail). Weaver's got some stuff, so does Burris. There might be others but I'm not sure.

If you want a rail on your X-Bolt, the only one I managed to find was EGW's, aside from that there's also two companies in Europe - ERA-TAC and EAW. They also make rails for the X-Bolt.

One more thing to mention, I noticed how harsh I was on the stock. I give the impression, that it's horrible.

The stock in beautiful, looks great, feels great, glass bedded (supposedly), and overall just a nice thing. If only it wouldn't be so sensitive...

-A. Einstein
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2012 at 08:48
Nice review.

I bought a Hunter in 280 Rem last November and love it so far.  Fit & finish is good, accurate, and has a really nice trigger.

Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 05:14
Got my new scope today so I can finally post a pic showing the accuracy of the X-Bolt:

Just to explain, I was sighting the thing in so the rounds are all over the place - I was making adjustments after each shot: the two below the centre and the far right one were the first three shots I fired. The group in the centre has 4 rounds in it (I was doing slight adjustments after each shot), and the final two, that are high were shot somewhat carelessly and also the barrel was so hot I couldn't hold it with my hands. Together I shot 8 rounds, and I'm happy with it. For hunting way more than accurate enough. Used my trusty backpack as a sandbag (not great + the cheek weld isn't perfect, I should get my cheek pad tomorrow), shooting from prone. Shot at 100 yards using German Geco 170 grain softpoint ammo.

(sadly the battery in my phone was empty otherwise I would record the shooting)

Edited by Trickster - September/11/2012 at 05:32

-A. Einstein
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 07:19
not to shabby
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 08:50
Thanks.

I could probably get better results if I'd use a shooting rest, but since I rarely shoot past 100 yards and for hunting, IMHO, it's good enough.

-A. Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic