OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

All Purpose Binos (mostly hunting) ~$200US

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmy_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Purpose Binos (mostly hunting) ~$200US
    Posted: September/04/2012 at 21:01
I'm looking for an all purpose binocular (will be used mostly for hunting - bow and rifle, primarily MidWest but also West and South on occassion).  Bowhunting will mostly be glassing less than 200yds.  Rifle hunting will be glassing at a max. of around 400-500yds primarily with the potential for excursions here and there but I won't focus on those chances.
Looking to spend around $200 range.  I am looking for good low light/clarity first, water proof and rugged second, FOV 3rd.  I'm not as worried about size or weight as I'm usually using a quad and will include a bino harness.  Was primarily looking at a 10x50 for the magnification and minimum 5mm exit pupil, but some don't seem to have this option, so I can probably go to the 4.2mm exit pupil if clarity makes up for exit pupil.
Here's what I was considering.  Looking for recommendations and input.  I was originally leaning toward the Vortex but I'm now leaning more toward the Zen HD due to other posts and recommendations I've read.  Please add any I may have missed or that may be considered better than those below in the price range.  Thanks!
J

ZR HD 10x42

Vortex Diamondback 10x50

Alpen Apex XP 697 10x50

Alpen 388 Shasta Ridge 10x50

Minox BV either 10x42 or 8x56

Any others to consider????
meglio un giorno da leone che cento da pecora
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 21:45
The Diamondbacks are very good. Especially for $219. I can't speak for the others but personally like the Vortex.
Old Mil ftw
jrmy_1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmy_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 08:42
I'm really torn up between the vortex diamondbacks and the zrs hd.  I also threw the minox in there due to reviews and a friend of mine has some Alpens that he said he paid around $170 for them and a guy with swaros said the alpens seemed clearer and brighter than his glass.

IDK, still up in the air.  Seems like the Zens get pretty good reviews for the price......

Any other input for best ~$200 binos for hunting/low light/rugged conditions?
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 15:48
Probably a bit over $200, but you could also check out the Nikon Monarch 3 and Bushnell Legend Ultra HD.
dandeployed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dandeployed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 19:25
I've got some like new ZRS HD 8x42 I'd sell for a good price. PM me if you're interested.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 20:51
Sightron Blue Sky SII should also be on your list in my opinion. Less expensive than the others, just as durable and very good optical performance.
Frank
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 09:14
I haven't tried those particular Sightron binoculars, but I've had a couple of their rifle scopes and have seen other models of their binos. I've always been impressed with them for offering great optics at their respective price points.
jrmy_1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmy_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 09:46
I don't have much experience with the Sightron, but I heard that a reviewer compare the Sightron to the Vortex PST and said the Vortex was significantly better.  Kinda put me off on Sightron compared to Vortex....
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 11:22
Originally posted by jrmy_1 jrmy_1 wrote:

I don't have much experience with the Sightron, but I heard that a reviewer compare the Sightron to the Vortex PST and said the Vortex was significantly better.  Kinda put me off on Sightron compared to Vortex....
No matter how you cut it, comparison of products regarding companies rifle scopes of different price and quality levels, to binoculars, does not even begin to get to the closeness of apples vs oranges.
Wink

The Sightron Blue Sky 8x32 are a lot closer to the Vortex Viper optically than any other Vortex product.  The Theron Wapiti LT 8x32 and the Sightron are so close optically it may not be possible to seperate them.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 15:13
Normally I'm a hardcore Vortex guy, especially with thier binoculars, but I was thoroghly impressed by Zen Ray. Great binocs for the money.
jrmy_1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrmy_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2012 at 17:09
Thanks for all the input guys.  I think I'm going to give the Zen Rays a try!
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2012 at 17:46
I've been very happy with these Pentax in 8x40.
Koshkin, et al, have good things to say about them, also.

I must confess, I'd originally planned on some Zen Ray's but these came my way at a significantly low price and I've seen no reason to look further.

http://swfa.com/Pentax-PCF-WP-II-Binoculars-C3442.aspx
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic