OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ar
    Posted: September/04/2012 at 16:38
I am looking into an ar. Don't want a 556/223 or 762/308 something a little different in short action. Any suggestions?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 16:41
6.8 spc is a good caliber.  I have a lot of fun with mine
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 17:04
6.5 Grendel.

I have one and I am quite happy with it.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 17:33
+2 on the 6.8 (spc II)
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 17:37
+ 3 on the 6.8 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 18:02
FAL or M1A.....
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 19:05
+ 4 and I'm about to build a second 6.8

Eagle
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 19:35
300blk, great for subsonic and supersonic alike.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 19:56
I have fun with my 30 Rem AR.  Hard to find ammo for, so best to reload if you go that route.  I have been impressed with my friends 6.5 Grendel as well.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 20:02
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

300blk, great for subsonic and supersonic alike.

I've become VERY interested in this variation... very intriguing...
Pretty sure I want one...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 20:58
Another vote for the 6.8.  I have one, and have been very happy with it.  I would have likely been just as happy with the 6.5 Grendel, but I went with 6.8 because at the time, brass was more readily available, and it was a little cheaper to load for.  Up to about 300 yards or so, basically the envelope where I'll be using my AR the vast majority of the time, there's little difference in terminal performance and drop between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC.  At longer distance, 6.5 Grendel has the edge in drop and wind drift due to higher BC bullets available.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 20:55
Good ammo place for the 6.8?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 21:56
Silver state armory makes tons of 6.8 ammo variations.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 22:00
I'm toyin with the idea of buildin a 450. Kinda expensive but the guys I know who have one have nothing but love for em.
(Cabela's Ad)
Bushmaster .450 
It’s called "Thumper" and it’s capable of taking any game animal in North America. Engineered to mount on your mil-spec AR-15 lower, this 20" model hurls the 250-grain Hornady SST/FT .450 Bushmaster bullet downrange at 2,200 fps. Though not designed as a long-range caliber, there’s nothing on this continent capable of standing up to the firepower of Thumper and inside 200 yards its accuracy is outstanding. Recoil has been compared to that of a 20-gauge shotgun. A tubular-aluminum forend allows the barrel to free-float from the nut forward to enhance accuracy. Chrome lining in both the bore and chamber makes the .450 Bushmaster easy to clean and extends barrel life. A five-round magazine is included.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 22:20
Sgt.D might want to compare the ballistics to the 458 SOCOM.before you jump into the Bushmaster!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 09:39
SGT D,  i had the bushmaster.  fun initially but sold it rather quickly,  after 250 I was not impressed.  It falls flat on its face quicker than you'd think.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 11:09
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

6.5 Grendel.

I have one and I am quite happy with it.

+1 with the Grendel. Hippie

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 11:10
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

SGT D,  i had the bushmaster.  fun initially but sold it rather quickly,  after 250 I was not impressed.  It falls flat on its face quicker than you'd think.

At 10 yards, it hits like a sledge hammer. Beyond that, wrong tool.

I have had a few 6.8s, taken a few animals with them, never got comfortable with a specific load, though I got best results with 95-gr tactical TTSX. 
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 17:16
Thanks for the perspective. I was trying to think of why I needed one other than it being a monster semi-auto. I will put that one to rest for a while and focus on more practicle adventures. Still waitin on the bushings for the 223 chamber reamer. And thats cool cause the temps are forcast to drop to the upper 70's this comming week and the does are gonna fall. Matthews Hyper-lite, Gold Tip XT hunters, Rage 100gr broad heads and a Tru-ball Copperhead release. I might could do better but not by much.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2012 at 22:15
To me the problem lies not with the selection of calibers as much as the availability of  working magazines.
There are several interesting calibers available and I have considered 25WSSM
After a lot of though on the subject I believe that .204 Ruger makes as much sense as most anything though for how I would use something not  .223 and not .308 althought the 458 big bore guns are interesting but use is limited by the cost of the ammo and low mag capacity. One of the finest uppers available in .204 Thunbs Up would be this one.
at least the .204 runs in the .223 mag. As does anythign .308 platform based in .308 type mags like .243 or 7mm08Thunbs Up or 260 Rem of which the 7mm08 sounds particularly fun but I have stuff for a .223 or .308 and jumping to another caliber that I dont already have brass and load for is quite painful.  I also think the 6.72x39 cartridge makes a lot of sense in an Arsenal built AK because ammo is cheap. So we go full circle and I still say the issue to be considered is the magazines, because some of these oddball calibers you wont be able to just run down and buy a working mag for.  I would much rather have a cartridge that runs in a standard mag if its a semi auto.  Much here depends on how the rifle is to be used. I tend to think AR guns are coyote guns as much as anything but a lot of stuff is just range queens where some specialty weapons are police guns etc subject to strict rules which is probably not your case.  For me though I would stay .308 probably a La Rue OBR or a FN SCAR17,
But one other place to look is GAPrecision who could probably build you a 7mm08 or 260 Rem or ..243.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic