OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem 700 recoil lug problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rem 700 recoil lug problem
    Posted: September/02/2012 at 14:13
Recently put my 700 sps varmint 300wsm on a accublock stock. Or recently started trying to get the barrel lined up in the stock. The barrel rubbed the side of the original stock also so I figured the recoil lug was not aligned with the barrel, no big deal this is common on 700's that I have seen, not common, but I have seen 10 so far with this problem personally. what we have done in the past (uncle, dad, brother and a few friends) is take a non marring hammer and tap the lug to align the barrel to the stock, common practice, houge originally told us this. well on this particular occasion today I used a non marring hammer with a plastic head and the damn thing mushroomed, I've hit 5 lugs with this thing and this is the first to mushroom. Anyone else had this problem? It will be off to the gunsmith Tuesday afternoon now. Who makes the best recoil lug on the market?
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 19:45
Which mushroomed, the lug or the hammer?  Do you mean by mushroomed that the bottom or side of the lug bent?

Why don't y'all just glass the lugs in with AcraGlas or Devcon?
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 22:17
The corner of the lug mushroomed, looking at the hammer it looks as though I may have hit it with the metal part by accident.  These are full aluminum bedding blocks not pillars, google bobby hart accustock. If the lug is not decently centered with the action it will make a look of the barrel being bent off to one way or the other. and the action will not torque down strait. If it sits as bad as this one was even bedding will not help it. Basically when I put the action in the stock the right side of the barrel and action hug the stock all the way down. Checked the stock and it was square, the lug however needs to be moved .331" counter clockwise when looking at the muzzle to be perfectly square with the bottom of the action. Usually it isn't that bad and you can get by with a few taps and the lug slides around. But this thing is stuck like chuck and I wailed hard on it with absolutely no movement. When I say mushrooming, I mean wear you hit a metal to metal surface usually the softer metal will give and cause a rise in the metal. I should've taken it to a smith, hopefully I didn't ruin anything besides the lug.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 10:40
Since you'll be springing for a new recoil lug anyway, you can get slightly thicker lugs (stiffer) for an extra 7-8 bucks.
How were you holding your mouth?
Have an extra scoop of Wheaties that morning?
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 11:12
You can grind or file the mushroom on the lug to flush with the original surface, also.
Doug
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 11:30
If you don't have or have access to a barrel vice, take it to a gunsmith, remove the barrel, and have a small dowel pin hole drilled on the front face of the action in the 6:00 position below the barrel threads, with a matching hole drilled through the lug in the same position.  Press a dowel pin through the hole to keep the lug aligned.  This is the solution many of the custom action mfgs use to keep the lug from rotating away from center when the barrel is torqued.  The lug on a 700 is really nothing more than a washer with an extended tab on it.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 14:32
Spoke to the gunsmith yesterday, (same guy that is doing my Ruger), he is going to replace the lug, pin it and fit it to the stock for me, I just have to find time to get it to him. He asked me the same thing about my mouth...haha.

I considered filing it, but it never did move, so the barrel has to come off, even considered a blue print and new barrel.... but my wife is getting good at this mind reading thing. Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic