OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger No 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miragetex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 01:00
I don't disagree with any of the comments about the Rugers, but would also suggest a glance at one of the Browning - Winchester models.  I have a pair of B78's, one in 22-250 with heavy round barrel and one in '06 with light octagon barrel.  The 22-250 is very accurate, and the '06 is accurate enough for any hunting purpose.  I mostly bought them because I got a good price, and thought (and still think) they are beautiful rifles.  Browning changed to the B85, but I'm not an expert on what changed (they look about the same). One thing I do notice - the stock design on the '06 causes it to deliver noticeably more recoil than other '06s, though it's not intolerable.  Obviously, that's not an issue on the 22-250.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the exposed hammer of the HiWall design and the graceful curve of the lever give it an elegance that few other rifles can match (although I admit the Ruger is also a handsome design). 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 07:10
Originally posted by miragetex miragetex wrote:

I don't disagree with any of the comments about the Rugers, but would also suggest a glance at one of the Browning - Winchester models.  I have a pair of B78's, one in 22-250 with heavy round barrel and one in '06 with light octagon barrel.  The 22-250 is very accurate, and the '06 is accurate enough for any hunting purpose.  I mostly bought them because I got a good price, and thought (and still think) they are beautiful rifles.  Browning changed to the B85, but I'm not an expert on what changed (they look about the same). One thing I do notice - the stock design on the '06 causes it to deliver noticeably more recoil than other '06s, though it's not intolerable.  Obviously, that's not an issue on the 22-250.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the exposed hammer of the HiWall design and the graceful curve of the lever give it an elegance that few other rifles can match (although I admit the Ruger is also a handsome design). 

+1. I too like the Browning versions...especially the B78. I just got one in 25-06 that is totally nice...good wood and feels great in hand. Beauty and functionality all in one. I was really trying to get a Dakota 10, but just could not swing the cost. The B-78 will do just fine!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 18:20
http://www.bullberry.com/  I went the Encore route with multiple barrels.  Knowing what I do now I would just buy only the Bullberry barrel and their fore end rather than suffering the TC brand barrels.
As for 300 WM while I own several I much prefer to reload 300WSM which has no belt on the magnum case the belt does not get resized which can be a problem with a tight chamber. If I were shooting factory ammo that would not be an issue but for me if I dont reload I cant afford to shoot.  I have had one Ruger #1 it was a stainless 30-06 and I was not impressed with its accuracy I would buy a Tikka instead if I wanted accuracy right out of the box or at least a Savage, but I do like the look and feel of the Ruger and it's an ejector rather than an extractor like the TC so a bit faster to load.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 21:16
Thanks guys.  I will take a look at the other stuff as well.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 20:59
i just handled one in a .450 nitro today, it was a very nice rifle.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 14:25
Well, I did buy a Ruger No. 1   ...  today actually from our host here.

Ruger No. 1 Falling Block 
Action: Lever
Caliber: 7mm STW 
Overall Length: 44”
Barrel: 28” Custom Barrel by Pete Pieper 
Weight: 8.5lbs 
It also has a custom set trigger set right under 1 lb.

Now to send them the ffl and payment and the patiently wait.  Maybe they would even be nice enough to put a scope on for me.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 14:29
thats gonna be a nice long range elk killing mfer! nice drew!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 14:35
I am hoping.  It is one of the few 7mm I have actually thought about.  Maybe because it is different.  Should be fun to play with and I hope to thump an elk with it at some point.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 14:41
now to buy some brass and dies for it
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 14:43
You better be glad I saw your name as the high bidder. I was gonna add that to the davis vault until I saw your name as the high bidder.  That was a smokin' deal!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 14:56
Thanks Graham. I actually couldn't believe it didn't go higher. Got it for less than others I looked at even after shipping and fees.

If you come out to Montana, I'll let you shoot it.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 15:10
Glad you got it and it will get use,  I woudl have just put it in there and probably not used it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 16:37
I will certainly use it.  If all falls in line I might even shoot a deer with it this year.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 16:42
Good grab. The #1's are fine weapons to be sure. Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 19:17
Congrats helo! Enjoy! Excellent
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 19:43
Awesome.

This thread is still depressing, though.

Really Sad
-Matt
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 19:48
Why is that? I am even going down and going to pay them in person.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 20:03
Because I am an idiot:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The single most accurate rifle I have ever had was my Ruger #1 300 Weatherby. I could start throwing some 200 accubond group sizes around, but it would be hard to believe, and it doesn't really matter. I sold it because I found a buyer that would pay way more than I did, and I thought I wanted a bolt gun. I was (am?) an idiot. I never should have sold that wonderful rifle. there are many great positives to the #1. They look great, they shoot great, they are sleek, they are compact even with long barrels, and you never have to worry about magazine size. Seat your pills out as far as you want.

Geez, this thread is depressing.
-Matt
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 20:38
Ah I see.  I hope this one is that accurate.  Just have to decide on optics, bullets, powders, etc.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 22:07
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Ah I see.  I hope this one is that accurate.  Just have to decide on optics, bullets, powders, etc.
Ah geez ... what a chore.

Boo Hoo
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic