OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger No 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger No 1
    Posted: September/01/2012 at 21:13
I have wanted a single shot in either a break action or falling block for a few years.  What do you guys think of the Rugers?  How is the accuracy, quality, etc?  Not sure what caliber yet.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 21:57
I have two... one .458 Lott, one .458WM.  They are both exceedingly accurate, very nice.  Among my favorite of rifles.  I am going to get one in 45-70.  That should round out my .45 caliber rifles.  I'm also thinking of a few others.  With a little practice, it is surprisingly fast to reload... surprisingly...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 22:10
I was thinking either 25-06 or 300 WM to start.  More towards the 300.  
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 22:32
I would go for .300WM.  I'm actually thinking of getting one in .300H&H.  I like that caliber a lot...  Truthfully, the Ruger #1 seems a little wasted to me unless it is a MAGNUM caliber...
It has a wonder "feel", balance is amazing and recoil is not as heavy as expected...  If I could TRULY only have one rifle, I would have to go with the Ruger #1 .458 Lott.  "Guaranteed to knock down anything on the planet..."  Gotta love it...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 23:56
Interesting rifle. I have the opportunity to purchase one in 458WM for about $800. Not sure if that is a fair price or not. It is in good condition. For some reason I want it. I don't know why but I want it.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 09:29
I only have one #1 left...it's a 300 H&H mag in the 1-S configuration...my favorite. Gotta love single shots and the #1 is elegant and functional. What's not to like? Good luck. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 09:31
$800 is a "fair" price.  Not the best, not the worst...

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 10:33
Thoughts on the 458WM cal?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 10:35
I picked my 45-70 up for $400 some years back. The trigger is nice and crisp and the quality is a notch up from my other Rugers.
Doug
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 10:45
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Thoughts on the 458WM cal?

With today's improved powders and bullets, the 458WM can finally nearly live up to it's promise... much better than in it's early years.  Ir is a reasonable dangerous game caliber and will certainly take anything on the North American continent...

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 20:57
Thanks Kickboxer.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 22:00
I'm a falling block SS slut.  My favorite  of the type is the Dakota Model 10, but the Ruger No 1 is very nice too.  To me, the No 1 isn't as sleek, graceful, or as well-balanced as the Model 10, nor does it have the fit, finish, and wood quality of the M10, but it's also 1/3 the price.

Ruger used to put a much higher grade of wood on their No1 than their other rifles, but it seems wood quality has declined in recent years, around the time they changed from the "red" recoil pad to the black pad and the change in checkering pattern shape in the buttstock grip.  You can still find the occasional No 1 with exceptional wood, but the average No 1 of current mfg has much plainer wood than they did 20-30 years ago.  I still love the No 1 regardless, with my favorite config being those with the more slender, shorter Alex Henry style forend rather than the wider beavertail forend.  The No 1 action has a solid feel and look to it, and working the lever gives you the impression of vault-like strength.

Accuracy of No 1s is a crapshoot.  They have better barrels now than they did 20+ years ago, once Ruger started hammer forging their own barrels rather than purchasing the barrel blanks.  So, my totally unscientific opinion is that they shoot better now than they used to.

The problem, if there is one, usually arises from the hammer spring hangar that the forend attaches to.  The forend can move around and apply pressure on the barrel and front of the receiver when shooting from a rest, to the detriment of precision.  The hangar is also the source of vibrations from the long spring driving the hammer that gets transmitted through the receiver and barrel.  The solution is to do a combination of bedding the forend to the hangar, sand the rear edge of the forend so there's slight clearance between it and the front of the receiver and makes sure the forend has "float" clearance between it and the barrel.  The other accurizing trick is to drill and tap a screw hole in the end of the hangar forward of the spring, and put a socket head set screw in the hangar to apply slight upward pressure against the barrel.  Then, you can "tune" barrel vibrations by varying the amount of upward pressure of the set screw.  I've personally done all of the above and can attest to accuracy improvements from these modifications.  I don't want to give the impression that these mods are needed on all No 1's because they certainly aren't, it's just that the design isn't without flaws.  I've shot plenty of No 1's that were superbly accurate right out of the box, namely a 1-V in 6mm Rem a buddy of mine had. 

More than anything, I just think the No 1 has a certain "cool factor" beyond its price tag.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 17:35
IMO the Ruger #1 is an excellent rifle, and I don't think you will be the least bit sorry If you buy one. 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 07:42
Got 2 No. 1B's: a .270 Wtby. Mag. and a 6mm Rem. both are sub MOA rifles.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 12:05
The single most accurate rifle I have ever had was my Ruger #1 300 Weatherby. I could start throwing some 200 accubond group sizes around, but it would be hard to believe, and it doesn't really matter. I sold it because I found a buyer that would pay way more than I did, and I thought I wanted a bolt gun. I was (am?) an idiot. I never should have sold that wonderful rifle. there are many great positives to the #1. They look great, they shoot great, they are sleek, they are compact even with long barrels, and you never have to worry about magazine size. Seat your pills out as far as you want.

Geez, this thread is depressing.
-Matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The single most accurate rifle I have ever had was my Ruger #1 300 Weatherby. I could start throwing some 200 accubond group sizes around, but it would be hard to believe, and it doesn't really matter. I sold it because I found a buyer that would pay way more than I did, and I thought I wanted a bolt gun. I was (am?) an idiot. I never should have sold that wonderful rifle. there are many great positives to the #1. They look great, they shoot great, they are sleek, they are compact even with long barrels, and you never have to worry about magazine size. Seat your pills out as far as you want.

Geez, this thread is depressing.

LOL. I've bought and sold a few #1's myself. It is what it is. Don't beat yourself up too much. Wink
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 20:53
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I would go for .300WM.  I'm actually thinking of getting one in .300H&H.  I like that caliber a lot...  Truthfully, the Ruger #1 seems a little wasted to me unless it is a MAGNUM caliber...
It has a wonder "feel", balance is amazing and recoil is not as heavy as expected...  If I could TRULY only have one rifle, I would have to go with the Ruger #1 .458 Lott.  "Guaranteed to knock down anything on the planet..."  Gotta love it...

ON BOTH ENDS RIGHT!! Crutch
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 22:25
Roll on Floor Laughing
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 22:45
A pleasant, rolling recoil... kind of like a nudge from a beautiful lady...

catch 22 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catch 22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 21:20
I love my number 1's. I have a Stainless/Walnut light sporter in 6.5x55 Swede that will shoot one ragged hole 5-6 shot groups. And I have a Stainless/laminate 1B in .270Win that is nearly as accurate but not near as pretty. My #1 Swede is the only rife I have that NOT for sale at any price.

Got Ammo?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic