OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help choosing first AR scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help choosing first AR scope
    Posted: September/01/2012 at 18:52
I can get a Leupold VX6 1-6 for like $500 or the SWFA SS 1-4, so is the SWFA worth the extra cost?  The Leupold seems nice but my only concern is that they're pretty lightweight compared to "tactical" scopes (it's technically hunting/shooting) meaning it has less durability.  Is that a correct assumption?  Any help is appreciated, thanks.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 09:17
I have a SS 3-9x42 which I've ran on my AR for awhile now.  I also have the SS 1-6 on pre-order which will find a permanent spot on my AR.  You will be hard pressed to find a better scope for your dollars spent.  When you factor in the customer service and warranty of SWFA compared to many other companies, your final decision should be pretty clear.

You could also keep any eye out on SWFA's sample list for Demo B items.  You should be able to find a SS 1-4 or 3-9 that falls within your budget or very close.  Upon buying a Demo B item, you'll open the box and swear it's a brand new item which comes with the same warranty and customer service.

When the new 1-6 finally start shipping, I would think that there will be quite a few of the 1-4's coming up for sale.

In my opinion, yes the SS is worth the extra coin.

The other question you have to answer for yourself is are you the type who wants to set your turrets once and forget them, or are you the type who likes to dial in your elevation and windage often?  If you set and forget, then capped turrets may be for you.  If you like to spin your turrets, then un-capped tactical turrets may be more to your liking.

If it were me, I'd look at a SS model over a Leupy any day of the week, but that's just me.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 10:06
The biggest difference between the scopes is the SS is a First Focal Plane scope, and the Lueppy is Second Focal Plane.  The SS can be bought with low profile capped knobs as well. And the 1-4 is not more expensive than the 1-6 Lueppy, they are priced the same...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 12:22
What is your intended use of this rifle? Have you given any consideration for a red dot like an Aimpoint,that is also withih your price range?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
THEMAKKER13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 13:58
No the price is not the same, I can get the Leupold for $495.  My intended use is home/ land defense and possibly 3 gun in the future if I can find a place around here, but I'd like to.  No I want a variable optic, not a red dot, thanks for the advice though.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 21:50
SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 1-4x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD14X24TC
  • Matte Black Finish
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated T (Post/Mil-Scale)
  • 30mm Tube
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
  • Capped Turrets
$799.95 
Leupold 1-6x24 VX-6 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1-6x24 VX-6 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU112317
  • Matte
  • German #4
  • 30mm
  • Fast Focus Eyepiece
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
  • DiamondCoat 2 (Scratch Resistance Lens)
  • Lead and Arsenic-Free Glass Lenses
  • CDS Capable and Includes one free Custom Ballistic Dial
$799.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 21:52
Let me help to muddy the water - this is what I went with:
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$844.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2012 at 21:55
Honestly you will be fine with any of those scopes. The SS will be the toughest built, The Trijicon will be the best illumination system. The Leupold is still a great scope with CDS knobs for elevation. No matter which you choose you will be OK on this.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 12:13
If you can get Leupold VX-6 1-6x24 for $500, you should most definitely get that one.

At that price, you can get it, try it out and see if you like.  You will later be able to sell it for more than you paid for it (or at a minimum get your money back) in case you want to try something else.

ILya
THEMAKKER13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2012 at 14:06
Ok thanks for the help guys, I'll probably get the Leupold and hopefully get to check it out at Cabelas or somewhere first.
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2012 at 14:21
I would keep an eye out for a used SS 1-4 with the donut if you're serious about three gun.

Mine has taken a beating or 6 and has never failed my once. (I am not the most graceful person)
The reticle is extremely fast on 1x for those close shots and still being able to reach out to 500 yards from the tower is nice. Then being able to run back down the tower transitioning back to CQB.

The reticle is what sold me.

Buy once, cry once.

Or just save your coin and get the 1-6x Cool

Dillon@SWFA.com
Chrome223 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrome223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2012 at 18:03
For 3 gun at distances beyond point-blank holdovers, its nice to have a reticle with some kind of hold-over marks.   (shooting >400y in a 3gun is fun as hell, but not everyone is lucky enough to live close to a match like that).  So that's my argument for the SS 1-4x.  That and its built like a tank, has great glass, illuminated, has a ffp mil/mil reticle (which makes zeroing _very_ easy).  Mines on tradein for a SS 1-6x.  FWIW, a used SS 1-4 is close to $500.

If you don't mind dialing elevation the Leuy does look great at that $500 price.  Its lightweight for such a scope, but it doesn't have the reticle features or illumination.   Its an attractive scope for many uses, but the extra 25% magnification is probably only useful for daylight target practice (a clear 4x is fine for 3gun).

wskungfuclub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wskungfuclub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 02:32
does anyone know if i can install a cat tail on my swfa 1-4 and if so where to buy one?  
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 04:23
Originally posted by wskungfuclub wskungfuclub wrote:

does anyone know if i can install a cat tail on my swfa 1-4 and if so where to buy one?  
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 11:06
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Originally posted by wskungfuclub wskungfuclub wrote:

Works great, I run mine with a cat-tail and have had no issues.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
wskungfuclub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wskungfuclub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 18:15
thx!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic