OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-3 CDS ????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-3 CDS ????
    Posted: September/01/2012 at 07:30
Hey fellas I am considering a vx3 4.5-14 x40 AO with CDS for a Colorado trip in late oct . I normally shoot durring the off season with a ss 10x42 and am comfortable dialing my shots . I had consider a scope with a graduated plex but after shooting one this past weekend out to 600 I realized that the precision was not there that I was looking for. The flip side is I don't want a typical tactical scope with towering turrets and the weight that comes with them.
I am looking hard at the mentioned scope, can sombody tell me about the cds as for as what dial comes with the scope originally , is it basic inches with 1/4 slashes or is it blank?   what is the process for custom dials and how long does it take to have them in hand?   thanks Mike
The unprepared are the most likely to suffer;    Teddy R.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 09:26
Good Question Mike.
Its always awkward to make the choice to loose the ability to dial in correction when going to a hunting scope. There are several options to select from. With a reticle that is second focal plane like the Rapid Z800 reticle found on a Zeiss Conquest one uses their websites calculator to try to determine what power one must set the scope on to have reticls marks approximate what distance. That isnt ideal because in low light one needs to dial the power down to brighten the image and in good light one might wish to be at a high power.  With most shots that are within 300 yds a guy with a simple plex reticle can zero at 200 be a tad high closer and figure out his drop at 300 and hold over a but which is what most guys have done for years or they use the point on the duplex reticle where the line goes thin to thick below center as a second known hold over point and determine what distance that represents by shooting at longer known distances on a range.  With a reticle like a mil dot or the SS mil quad and First Focal reticle one can use the marks as known hold over points and run a balistic calculator with drop in mils to estimate hold over values for the dots. With First Focal Plane reticles this works at every power. which is why we need to see a HUNTING VERSION OF THE Super Sniper 3-9x42 MQ but with low profile knobs unfortunately that does not currently exist.  So what current options do we have to dial in correction but with low profile knobs. The CDS system is one but certainly not the only one as Kenton Ind can build custom engraved knobs for many different scopes. Some scopes have knobs with pre set marks like the Swarovski which make a nice system and should be considered. Any system where you dial the correction in on the knob will work same same at every power of the scope. The down side to engraved knobs is that changes in elevation and temperature and changes in ammo mean you need another engraved knob but the up side of that is that a guy can have two engraved knobs for the same rifle say a 30-06 and have one load set up for coyotes shooting a 110 gr bullet fast and the other knob set up for a 180 gr bullet for deer  or one knob set up for elevation in Texas and one knob set up for elevation in Colorado and switch out the engraved knobs as needed.  
" Every CDS dial features ¼-MOA click increment finger adjustments,"

https://customshop.leupold.com/custom_shop.php  link to Leupold Custom Shop: note they can do special reticles matched to balistics also.

http://kentonindustries.com/category/custom-turrets link to Kenton Industries: note they can make custom engraved knobs for other brands of scopes similar to what the CDS system is set up to be.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_drift-5.1.cgi   JBM  Balistics Calculator: note elevation and temperature make a difference in balistics also.

Another posibility is that some companies like Kahles and Swarovski use a turret with pre-set marks to correspond to known distances, these can be re-set by the user.
Swarovski 4-12x50 Z3 Riflescope Plex Swarovski 4-12x50 Z3 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59020
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Ballistic Turret
$1,049.00

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/01/2012 at 09:32

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 11:17
I am with ya, I am not so interested in the a calibrated dial as I am one that has a marked unit of movement like say a 1/4" / 1/4 moa! I will calculate the drop and make the necessary cheat sheat. I noticed that the swarovski does not have AO. I am guessing they don't feel it is necessary for a big game.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 11:37

It depends on the scope.

Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59764
  • Matte
  • 4W
  • 1"
  • Ballistic Turret
  • Side Focus
$1,549.00
SPL16641 Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 59767, Matte, BRX, 1"
$1,229.95
SPL16203 Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view 59767, Matte, BRX, 1"
$1,229.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 11:42

The Vortex Viper HS series are one you might consider also while it does not have the exposed windage the elevation is exposed for correction. http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/vortex

VIPER PST & HSLR SERIES

Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4305LR  Thunbs Up
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$549.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/01/2012 at 12:24

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 11:45
Even the ones with the caps you can reset the zero on the knob and use them to dial in correction, you just have to take the caps off to make corrections .

LR HUNTER
Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - VORVHS4305
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 30mm
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
  • Shockproof
$499.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/01/2012 at 12:11

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 12:02
When you find these mid size caps they typically have knobs that you can dial in correction once you take off the cap.  One way to figure it out is if Kenton Ind. makes engraved knobs for that particular scope if they do its because they expect people to dial in correction on the knobs on that scope.  It also gives you a better photo of the turret they make.

Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope Dot Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope
Stock # - SIIB41642D
  • Matte
  • Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
  • Mail-In $75 Rebate
$640.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/01/2012 at 12:09

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 12:11
Concerning the
Vortex 4-16x44 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope
  How is the reputation for repretability of this scope ? I can deal with glass that is good but not the best but repability is the deal
breaker for me! or rather a lack of it!   
Any word on customer service ? I have submitted a trade form in on a Meopta 3-9-42 as trade on the leupold I was asking about. I can only assume the quote would be simular for this scope as well. where is it made. I can only assume you hold these scopes in high reguard . thanks  

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 12:50
I think the Vortex is a good value for what it offers.  I particularly like the 4-16 power range. I dont have this particular scope but have two other Vortex scopes and their warranty is very good, I want to say its made in Korea but could be wrong on that.  I am very happy with the two Vortex Vipers that I have.  

Quote from one of Koshkins articles:
"Vortex is a family business in the truest sense of the term. It was founded by Dan Hamilton as a result of the optics experience and frustration he gained operating a Wild Birds Unlimited franchise and is now run by him and several of his sons. As many small business owners have found out, it is often necessary to do it yourself if you want it done right. This was the principle behind the founding of Vortex. Dan was unsatisfied with the optics options available to him to sell at his Wild Birds Unlimited store and, after unsuccessfully trying to enact change in the industry from the outside, decided to wade in himself. Vortex Optics originally made optics of primary interest to birdwatchers, such as binoculars and spotting scopes. However, they have continued to expand their product line and now also produce hunting and tactical scopes of interest to the ARF community. Though Vortex does not currently have manufacturing facilities, they do have facilities for designing and repairing their optics stateside. This allows them to offer a far wider price range of optics than most companies because their optics are produced in several different countries. All of their optics, regardless of price, come with the best warranty in the business. Unless you are truly new to the world of optics, you have doubtless heard many stories from individuals duly impressed with the warranty service Vortex offers."

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/01/2012 at 12:55

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 13:07
Note the Viper HS LONG RANGE series is 1/2 moa clicks.
The Viper HS standard capped knob is 1/4 moa clicks.
The Sightron SII big sky is 1/8 moa clicks.
The Viper PST is available in 1/10 mil and has tactical elevation windage and illuminated reticle 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 13:20
Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope TMR Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU60025
  • Matte
  • Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M3 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
$1,199.95
Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU67940
  • Dark Earth
  • Illuminated Tactical Milling Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • M2 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
$1,499.95

M3 is 1moa per click elevation and M2 is 1/2moa per click elevation but Leupold Custom might be able to put these on a VX3 scope.  These usually come with three engraved knobs one for .556 one for .308 and one for 300 WM.  Note: dont use a plus 20 moa base with these.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 13:21
dang it Korea......
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 13:26
I know.  There is always U.S. Optics the EREK knob is awesome.
US Optics 10x44 ST-10 30mm Riflescope US Optics 10x44 ST-10 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOST10A
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#1 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Upgrade Parallax Control
$1,589.95
Cool
US Optics 1.8-10x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope US Optics 1.8-10x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN3I
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#3 M40 Style 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Upgrade Parallax Control
$2,274.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 13:40
Guess that brings us full circle back to the idea that Less is More:
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95
Zero at 200 next dot should be 300 next 400 and where the post gets heavy 500 but test it on the range to see what your rifle and cartridge does. At 6x though you have a 7mm exit eye pupil so it will be as bright in low light as is possible and as a fixed power is will be tough as nails, the power will be low enough to hand hold there is nothing to adjust so nothing will be out of adjustment and if you really want to you can take the caps off and dial in correction in 1/4 moa clicks.
You can kill stuff a long way off with a low power scope if you need to get a closer look at it before hand a little spotting scope like the Minox is a handy tool.
Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope
Stock # - 62226
  • Straight Body
  • Free Ever-Ready Nylon Case w/ Purchase
$298.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 13:53
If you like the Leupold CDS the system should work well the knobs are certainly user friendly for hunting. 
Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU115240
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Custom Dial System
$729.95
Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU115239
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Custom Dial System
$649.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 19:45
One thing about it you are a good salesman I am just waiting on my quote to see what kind of deal they offer,    but I think it is safe to say I will be buying this coming week. Big Smile
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2012 at 20:10
Well I got my trade quote frpm SL and I feel it is quite fair so i guess I just have one more Question????
With weaver grand slam steel bases on a Rem. m700 sps long action what height Grand slam steel ring is required to mount a Leupold 4.5-14x40 AO 1" (not side focus) and will a bridge base be required????
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic