OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield Base for Sako Rifles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nortac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield Base for Sako Rifles
    Posted: March/13/2006 at 18:18

Hello, does anyone have a picture of what the redfield base looks like for the Sako 75 SM action?

Thanks!

nortac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nortac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2006 at 19:51

Also, has anyone used the B-Square ring mounts for the Sako 75?

Thanks again!

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2006 at 04:38

I'm sorry for telling you something other than you asked for, but Burris make some that I think are intended for their Signature dual dove tail rings. The Burris system is about as cheap as I'd go for a Sako 75. The Burris system will get your scope lower than any of the others for scopes with objectives under 50mm.

I did spend a good bit of time on this same decision a little over a year ago and I think the Redfield bases were a little thicker than the Burris if I remember right.

If your not trying to get your scope as close as possible to the barrel, you might want to look at Warne or Talley.

Can you see me now...
nortac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nortac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2006 at 06:51

Sadly I recently purchased some Warne QD ring mounts and I was not very thrilled with them.   First, they use a front recoil stop as opposed to using the integral rear one built into the receiver.  So the front ring hangs over the action about 1/4 of an inch.  This in itself is not a big deal but sure seems slow witted on their part.  Aesthetically, it looks like someone tried to rig something to work out in their garage.

The biggest problem that I had with the Warne ring mounts was the rear mount never would mount 100% firm.  the rear of the mount stayed loose and you could actually move it once the mount was tightened all the way down.  It seemed as if the machining was off and it simple did not align up properly with the dovetail.  Those rings are now packed up and about to be shipped back.

I have talked to Talley rings and to this point they have not been very helpful.  I have asked them twice now about measurements of their rings so I can make one order and get it right without having to go through the return process.  It is as if they don't have the measurements or do not want to spend the time to get them.  That seems very odd to me from the manufacturer.

I saw a picture of the Burris mounts on a different web sight and the ones I saw were screwed down from the top and since the sako dovetail is side mounted I did not see what good the Burris would do.  Maybe the photo was wrong.

I also saw a set of the B-Square and at this point they are the only ones besides Sako factory that utilize the rear recoil stop (a feature I truly like).

I am very open and I have also contacted sako again and they stated they made a one piece ring/base set but again could not give me any size information and wanted $133 plus shipping.  I don't really want to spend that much unless I have to. 

Anyway thanks for the info.  I am just trying to see what else I can do.

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2006 at 11:55

The Burris slides on the Sako tappered dovetail. You most likely will not need the top screws tightened down unless you use a muzzel brake.

I used a Near Rail on mine and like it more than all other choices. The only draw back is by the time you buy the rail and good rings you'll have $300.00+ in it.

Can you see me now...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 03:39

nortac:

Stand by for inbound PM, Brother.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 09:19

The Burris bases and redfield bases were marketed at a time when a small difference in the product meant a sale or not. burris bases have the top screws- Redfields have a much smoother finish and deeper bluing. Both work well. The regular Warne Sako bases are tricking on Sakos, can't say on the QDs. Warne has a "pivot" point or fulcrum and the two screws must be counter tensioned against each other in order to hold the scope and the base on. I suspect this was done to reduce the gap width at the top. Leo makes a really good Sako mount.

fourinone- if a muzzle brake reduces rear ward velocity how are the burris screws going to help?

nortac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nortac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 10:49

How do the Burris and Redfield bases mount exactly?  Screws from the top don't make much sense for a dovetail with no screw slots on top.  I read somewhere that you had to use a mallet to hit the back of the Redfield rings to set a brass wedge???

How well do the Leupolds work without the recoil stop?

My goal is simple.  I want the lowest possible height for my scope and a mount that will not move.  The Optilocks are nice but way too complicated and too many parts.

Thanks again!

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 11:58

As for the muzzle brake question...the tappered dovetail will only allow the bases to get tighter on the dovetail under recoil. But with the muzzle brake the recoil reverses too and therefore can cause the scope bases to go the other direction and come off unless there is something locking it in place.

Those screws on top kind of dig into the top of your action...they're set screws. I don't like them and just used Red Locktite on the dovetail to help hold in place.

Can you see me now...
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 15:07

I also used the Leupold rings Dale mentioned on a Sako M75 .300 Win mag and I was well pleased.

No problems, no movement.

Some people have complained the Loopies aren't good, but I don't agree. Cheap too... 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 20:22

the screws on the burris bases which go down from the top- do not screw into anything, simply "tension" the bases by pushing against the receiver (as mentioned above) and are really not necessary, I don't even tighten mine. There are no brass wedges involved in either. Fourinone's idea of Red lock tite would work great! I've never even found it to be a problem and I think your going to far with the worry stuff.

Fourinone-muzzle brakes (which are more accurately a "break") do not cause a recoil reverse, they merely divert a portion of the ejecta media (the gases) away from the main axis of recoil. Some which divert directly back at the shooter, can offset the, rear velocity of the gun, by non-contribution, but there are no designs that cause deceleration in the sense of a negative derivative. (negative G-forces). Sorry got off the track. Here is a picture of some really old Sakos that do slip.

nortac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nortac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 22:06

I am still trying to figure out how exactly the Burris and Redfield scope mounts actually mount?  If there are no screws holding them in place and they just slide on what is keeping them on?  The front and rear dovetails are directionally the same so there can be no opposing force.  So what seats them?

Thanks again......

Eric

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2006 at 09:19
The receiver on the Sako receiver is tapered, such that when slid on the scope mounting base meets increasing friction, at some point usually flush with the opening of case magazine, (how do they do that?) the friction is so great the scope base will stay there. Recoil causes a force vector towards the end of the barrel to keep them tight. It takes a really good whack with a leather mallet or brass drift to "unseat" them if you want to change the bases. The actual surface area for contact surface holding is considerably higher than any screw mount, therefore the the force necessary to hold them per unit of surface area contact is much lower. It is a very good mounting system, but expensive because the dimensions must be held much tighter than others. (attesting to the quality of Sakos-love em). The cleverness of the system- no big knobs, no slots, clean sharp lines (mostly). Sexy Sakos, Clever Coopers, Cunning Kimbers, Nifty Nesikas, ugly AR's.
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2006 at 12:02
Thanks for the correction...my memory is bad enough to where I forget which way to spell break. Also the crash coarse in recoil direction for muzzle breaks. I was told by a well known scope ring maker who puts these screws on top of his Sako mounts that they were needed for the reason I stated.

Edited by fourinone
Can you see me now...
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2006 at 08:23
 fourinone- No your spelling of "Brake" is correct-in the current use of the device and it's nomenclature- however this commonly used term does not agree with the physics of the device. thus the term break as in breaking the direction of the gas flow is more accurate I doubt if it would have the sales impact as much as "brake".
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2006 at 11:50
10-4
Can you see me now...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic