OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best 1-6 scope for under $1400.00?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 1-6 scope for under $1400.00?
    Posted: August/30/2012 at 09:12
Well it seems that there is now quite a few options of the 1-6 flavor and I would really like to get one. I am trying to figure out which one really is the biggest bang for the buck.

The ones I am looking at are 

I know the SS isn't out but I think they said they were sending out the final prototype and I hope to get some feedback about it's qualities.

The SS has the narrowest field of view but the leupolds seems to be a typo seeing as it's double that of some of the scopes

My main areas of concern are

Eyebox sensitivity (throughout the power range)

Reticle design at 1x and 6x

FOV (If one really is that superior, I am not going to worry if it's only a little bit difference)

Clarity - How close do they come to one another?

What are your thoughts

I am really leaning towards the SS or Leupold due to cost and features. I just don't want to be disappointed and wish I would have ponied up more money in the end

thanks
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2012 at 19:15
I ordered a SS 1-6 and have yet to get my hands on it, however I did have a chance to view the elite 1-6 and after seeing it, I can't wait to see the SS, hoping it is as good or better.
I cannot comment on any of the other scopes listed.  The bushnell it very clear, quick acquisition of red dot (which is more of a circle) at one power and the scope is not busy like other I have seen at one power.  Also beware you are comparing FFP and SFP scopes here, that in my eyes after viewing many of the 1-4/1-6 is the biggest issue for me I like the red dot at one power with very little distraction of the rest of the reticle I prefer the FFP after seeing them side by side.
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2012 at 15:02
Agree with Fred.

The SS is a step ahead in my opinion due to FFP.

This gives the reticle a dual purpose property the others you lised don't have. (Excpet Bushnell)
The others are good at one end of the mag range or the other, but not both ends.

I just recently got my hands on the Razor 1-6x
Nice looking scope, great glass and seems to be built pretty tough.
Saw a small amount of fish eye effect but I am picky.
Its a SFP BDC style reticle with only a very small red dot to be used for fast targetting.
To me, this reticle would be best utilized on the high end, but not the low. ( Circular reticles, to my eyes, are the fastest)
Again, outstanding scope, but reticle is better for longer range engagements.

The Bushnell has the FFP property but on 1x the reticle is EXTREMELY small and hard to see.
On 6.5 its bigger but not big enough for precise shots IMO.
So this one is great for low end fast shots, but you lose the high mag precision with this reticle.

The SS reticle is bigger than the Bushnell on 1x, but the circular design really draws the eye and allows for extremely fast shots. On 6x you have a reticle fully capable of making long distance shots with precise ranging capabilities.

This is just my .02. I think you would be happy with any of these optics.
Dillon@SWFA.com
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2012 at 11:07
I would say the Vortex is the best bang for the buck out right now. 

I have an SS on order, and I'm sure it will be great if it ever gets here but now wish I would have ordered the Vortex instead.  The FOV on the Vortex is great, and the review of that on the hide shows it's a great scope.  I think FFP vs SFP on low powered scopes like these are reticle dependent and over rated. 

Plus, the Vortex is already shipping, and the next batch will be out by the end of this month.  The Bushnell is currently available also and gets favorable reviews.  However, the Bushnell would be 3rd on my list as I'm not the biggest Bushnell fan.  The SS is a question mark, it will ship soon I'm sure, but they have a backlog of back orders that have to be sent first.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Leupold VX-6 lineup because I don't like the reticle choices.  Their MK6 1-6 will be real nice, a little more money, but it's in the same boat as the SS as for when it's available. 
Franky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 10:06
Thanks for the reply's Howdy

Dillon - I am assuming you have looked through the 1-6 SS and was curious about the eyebox compared to the Vortext 1-6 razor?

I am just trying to see what makes the Razor $400 more than the SS 1-6 (I am not opposed to paying for quality but I want to know what I am getting that's better)

THanks
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 10:14
That's probably going to be subjective. The SS isn't out, the Razor is. I haven't seen anything bad posted about the Razor and I've seen nothing on the SS. (first review was a prototype) I like the SS line, but availability gives the Razor the edge to me.
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 13:08
Like 33 said, the first review was a prototype.

Both are very forgiving as for as the eye box goes. I cant give an accurate comparison of the eye box at this time because I want to wait to be able to take both to the range and put them through the ringer.
However, like I said previously, its hard to maintain a flat image on true 1x and I did notice a bit of a fish eye effect from the Razor. Not bad, like I said, I am picky.

One of the points we pay a lot of attention to on any SS is maintaining a clean, flat, true 1x image on 1 power.
The reason we pay so much attention to this aspect is because when running CQB, it is nice to run with both eyes open in a scanning mode. With any distortion from the optic, it is going to strain the eye and make it uncomfortable to shoot for extended periods of time. Its like wearing only one contact lens for a day. It also caused me a bit of hesitation running three gun, which will prove costly when scores are announced.

Just my personal opinion but, for rapid target acquisition, the reticle in the SS is better suited for making those close fast shots.

Both optics are built to last and are at the top of the food chain, so you will not be disappointed with either one.
A lot of it boils down to what you want in a scope and what you want to shoot.

Edited by dillon_h - September/10/2012 at 14:29
Dillon@SWFA.com
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 22:55
A couple notes of FOV for 1X scopes:

In my opinion, it's not very important for 1X scopes and should be well down the list of specs/qualities one looks at when making a decision.  Here's why:

On a true 1X scope, unlike scopes at higher powers where what you see through your off eye (if left open) and what you see through the scope are two completely different things, what you see through the scope and with your off eye are supposed to match.  With higher power scopes, many close the off eye and if you don't you mentally are "tuning out" what it sees where the FOV of the scope overlaps.

With a 1X scope, the images are supposed to match closely enough that they can "become one" in your brain--as they are one when using a red dot or reflex type sight.  With some scopes that are not true 1X or simply lack the right optical qualities at 1X this may never happen, depending upon how flexible your brain is.

So if using a quality 1X scope properly with both eyes open, the FOV you see should be the entire world in front of you.  Some of it is coming through the scope, most of it is coming around the scope.

The FOV through the scope is most directly related to eye relief and the size of the ocular.  The overall FOV you see with both eyes should be the same regardless of the FOV through the scope.  With less eye relief, more of that FOV comes through the scope and less comes around the scope.  With a larger ocular, more of that FOV comes through the scope and less comes around the scope.

But in the end, the view should be the same--the FOV is the entire world in front of you, with a floating dot or reticle denoting where the bullet will go.  How much or how little of that FOV is seen through the scope should be of little consequence--much like using a red dot.  The FOV of an Aimpoint is really big if you mount it close to your eye, smaller if mounted farther away, but that makes little difference when it's in use.  Even the "black ring" around the scope's FOV that is notable in pictures will be filled in with your other eye when in actual use.

Shortening the eye relief has other consequences, especially when any recoil is involved.  Increasing the size of the ocular does as well--most specifically in this application the larger the ocular the more difficult it is to clear fold-down BUIS.  This may not matter for a race gun used in matches, but any rifle being used "for real" with a 1X-XX scope I would expect to have BUIS mounted and ready to go.
Franky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Franky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 08:32
Jon - 

Good points on the 1x - I never thought about the FOV like that

THanks
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2012 at 13:57
yep, I look for a true 1x to work like a red dot

Meaning that I am looking at the intended targets and the dot just floats on top of what I want to shoot, I am not looking for nor at the dot or the reticle

Ideally, if the gun is at the low ready and your eyes are on the target(s) the gun pops up and the dot just naturally lines up on the target and you can transition between targets fast.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

TV-PressPass View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV-PressPass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 13:02
If you can find the Vortex HD GenII 1-6 for under $1400 I would jump on that in a heartbeat.

They are $2000 in Canada right now and rare to find. Gorgeous glass, great zoom. I'm just waiting for them to bring out a version of their Throw-Lever thats compatible with the Gen II
- I try to produce quality firearms content worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WildGunmenOsborne
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 21:32
US Optics 1.5-6x28 SN-4 30mm Riflescope US Optics 1.5-6x28 SN-4 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN4B
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated JNG MIL Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • US#1 1/10 MIL Slimline Elevation Knob
  • US#1 1/10 MIL Slimline Windage Knob
  • Fixed Parallax Control
$1,429.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 21:34
Everyone wants one of these its a long line
SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD16X24D
  • Matte Black Finish
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Donut (Circle/Mil-Scale)
  • 30mm Tube
  • .10 Mrad, 10 Mils per Rev.
  • HD Model
  • Undercover Turrets
  • Coming soon, accepting pre orders
$999.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 22:04
My thought since the only low power variable I have is a 1-4 Trijicon Accupoint with a red post. Buy a fixed 6x SS and add a small red dot Aimpoint Micro with a La Rue LT 724 mount.
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/25/2012 at 10:16

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV-PressPass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 09:40
See none of the reticles there look like I want a 1-6 reticle to look.

I like that the vortex one is very similar to an elcan specter 1-6 reticle.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV-PressPass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 09:40
Razor Gen II Reticle

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV-PressPass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 09:41
I like how clean the Razor reticle is, and still has illumination where it counts.

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 10:16
These are battle reticles the cross hash marks below center are the width of a man's shoulders at known distances.  Reticles are copyrighted and one company can not use another companies reticle without paying a fee. 
Trijicon 6x48 Acog Rifle Scope .223 Red Chevron Trijicon 6x48 Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA648
  • .223 Red Chevron
  • Comes w/ Picainny Rail Adapter
$2,209.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 10:36
Unless you are military -- you really dont need a reticle that works as fast as a battle reticle you are interested in being more precise which takes time and a precision reticle like SWFA milquad or Leupold TMR etc, or you are interested working with an illuminated reticle for rapid target acquisition and engaging targets usually under 300 yds where bullet drop can be compensated for on the fly. Scopes like an Aimpoint Comp M4s or most Trijicons are the winner on this shoot and move type optic. The idea that a 1-6x is useful is rather a mixed bag of trouble so far as I am concerned I would prefer to have a low power 1.5x or 2x compact ACOG or an Aimpoint for anything that needs to be rapidly engaged. The Aimpoint is really a fine choice for this because the dot will be on the target irregardless of cheekweld and head position problems if you can see the dot that is were the bullet will strike. The traditional type optics have limitations on eye relief and cheekweld which require consistency.  Reticle choices for fast action should be bold illuminated reticles where reticle choices for longer distance allow more time to fine tune the shot therefore mil based reticles with mil based scope adjustments makes a lot of sense because people that are not military shoot different calibers using different types of ammo and every time you change the speed, weight, balistic coefficient, caliber of a bullet for the reticle to be true it must be matched to that specific bullet.  That doesnt mean that you cant use those type reticle with a different ammo & caliber but your results will be different yet consistent. Ex say I put an ACOG for a .308 on a 300 win mag and I know the bullet is heavier and faster once I set the zero for the center mark at a specific known distance say 200 yds  then I need to determine how the marks below center correspond to my bullet so I shoot groups at known distances 300, 400, 500, 600 and make notes on how the marks below center correspond to what I have on the paper target. Hint a can of spray paint will help you to mark the paper target so you can go back and look through the scope at those known distances to see how the reticle corresponds to your reticle.
Anyway if you have decided you like the ELCAN reticle here is another you will probably like:
Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU110180
  • Matte
  • Illuminated CMR2
  • 30mm
  • M2 Target Knobs
$999.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 10:49
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-1-6x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P53845.aspx
SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 1-6x24 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD16X24D
  • Matte Black Finish
  • First Focal Plane Illuminated Donut (Circle/Mil-Scale)
  • 30mm Tube
  • .10 Mrad, 10 Mils per Rev.
  • HD Model
  • Undercover Turrets
  • Coming soon, accepting pre orders
$999.95 
The cool thing about the new SS is that it makes use of how a reticle works using a First Focal Plane reticle to go from a illuminated circle CQB type reticle at the low end of the magnification to an illuminated mil based crosshair at 6x.  To me I dont really have a problem rapidly getting on target with a fixed 6x scope and really prefer it be a 6x42mm so that I have a 7mm exit eye pupil.  At 6x you can begin to be reasonably precise at longer distances. The traditional long range military optics were 10x scopes but 10 is very hard to get onto target under 100 yds where 6x  does not seem to be a problem for me.  When you think about it we have fought a lot of wars where most rifles did not have any optic so how you intend to use the rifle determines what is correct in terms of type of optic.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic