OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Out-of-the-box Remington 700 rifles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out-of-the-box Remington 700 rifles
    Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:34
Hey there!

I have (another) question, this time regarding the Remington 700 rifles. These are very popular rifles, without a doubt. And as I check pictures and stuff, I can't help but to notice, a lot of 700 rifles have custom stocks, triggers, bolts, barrels, muzzle breaks, you name it. The aftermarket is HUGE. 

So, here's my question: do you customise these files because you can - the aftermarket stuff allows you to make the gun perfectly fit you...

...or...

do you customise the gun because the original (Out-of-the-box) is crap?

Thanks.
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 20:54
All of my 700s have benefitted from a little work (trigger first, bedding second), but many shot well as they came.
It IS fun to customize, though!
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 21:01
As with anything, some love the 700's, some don't.  I've found them to be consistently reliable.  They are highly "customizeable" because different people want different looks... and they are very popular.  Kind of like the Ruger 10/22.  I've never picked up a model 700 that wasn't a 1MOA or better shooter, though I have heard some horror stories, I've been fortunate enough to not experience any bad effects.  The Remington 700 is probably the most popular, most widely used bolt action rifle ever produced... that certainly is NOT because it is poorly made...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 21:13
Unless you want to spend big bucks, most factory rifles benefit from customization. I would have to ask what the rifle is for, before I committed to whether the rifle was good enough?  
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 21:59
I have no beef with them other than they have higher recoil than say, a 110, savage ruger m77 tikka t-3 lite and so on. Mostly due to the stock design than anything but, like others said lots of customizing available and many swear by them.

Edited by rustic - August/28/2012 at 23:55
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 00:33
If you dont want to do any custom work on it buy a tikka t3.  Some Rem 700 come good to go like the  R5 Mil Spec even so many customize them.  Do you desire a detachable mag - with a rem you will pay almost as much to have one added as what a Tikka costs.   Rem 700 s are one of the rifles that most gunsmiths know how to work on.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 05:21
I was just wondering why people customise these guns so much. Obviously they do it because they can, not because the guns would be bad. I always liked the 700. Might consider getting one.

Thanks for the tips guys.
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 07:25
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

I have no beef with them other than they have higher recoil than say, a 110, savage ruger m77 tikka t-3 lite and so on. Mostly due to the stock design than anything but, like others said lots of customizing available and many swear by them.

So what your saying is that if you have a 7# remington 700 in X caliber and a 7# savage/ruger 77/tikka t-3 in the same X caliber the remington will recoil more?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 07:57
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

So what your saying is that if you have a 7# remington 700 in X caliber and a 7# savage/ruger 77/tikka t-3 in the same X caliber the remington will recoil more?

Thanks for asking G, I was biting my tongue... "Rustic Logic"  Bucky
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 08:37
All of the Remingtons I have dealt with in the last 10 years have been short shouldered, long throated, large chambered, rough bored, jerky triggered, bad stock fitted, unsafe 2 position safetied monstrosities that would only shoot decent until lots of work are done on them.  That being said, they are the most well known by gunsmiths and have a very fast lock time.

JMHO
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 08:39
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this one.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 08:55

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 09:00
Most out of the box factory rifles benefit from a little tweaking.  They are mass-produced products, not precision custom rifles.  Precision, extensive hand work, and tight fitting costs money, and if dimensional and finish tolerances were held super tight on everything, they'd cost way more than their competitors products, and Joe Hunter wouldn't buy them.

The reason there are so many aftermarket replacement parts for the 700 is because its design is easy to customize and rifle loonies by nature like to tweak stuff for better performance.  For example, changing out a 700 trigger assy is as easy as driving out 2 pins.  There's nothing inherently wrong with a Rem 700, it's just popular, reasonably priced, and relatively easy to customize compared to other rifles.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 10:59
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Most out of the box factory rifles benefit from a little tweaking.  They are mass-produced products, not precision custom rifles.  Precision, extensive hand work, and tight fitting costs money, and if dimensional and finish tolerances were held super tight on everything, they'd cost way more than their competitors products, and Joe Hunter wouldn't buy them.

The reason there are so many aftermarket replacement parts for the 700 is because its design is easy to customize and rifle loonies by nature like to tweak stuff for better performance.  For example, changing out a 700 trigger assy is as easy as driving out 2 pins.  There's nothing inherently wrong with a Rem 700, it's just popular, reasonably priced, and relatively easy to customize compared to other rifles.

to this, i would add the rem 700, or it's predecessors on which it's based have been around for nearly a century.  this longevity allows anyone in the aftermarket business to have confidence in making a part because they know it's a tried and true product that won't dissapear, and there are plenty of customers for their products.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 11:25
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Thanks for asking G, I was biting my tongue... "Rustic Logic"  Bucky
You have to take into account drop angle, divided by OAL and multiplied by BL + SL taking into consideration the TOD upon which the final blank pour was intiated, using the specific gravity of the implied metallurgical configuration, using STD and SMC...

That should explain it to even the most novice...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 12:10
Just observations with a 7mm mag in all the above mentioned rifles to me the 700 has more felt recoil... IMHO. ;)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 12:40
If the rifles being compared are chambered for the same cartridge, are approximately the same weight, are all fired on planet Earth, and all shoot the same load with the same bullet weight and powder charge, recoil force will be the same. 

PERCEIVED recoil is a different thing altogether, and is affected by things such as recoil pad design, stock materials, and stock shape/design.  The latter depends on your individual anatomy, and therefore, no particular stock design is universally more uncomfortable for all shooters of all shapes and sizes to shoot than any other. 
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 12:43
Originally posted by Dyelynn Dyelynn wrote:

to this, i would add the rem 700, or it's predecessors on which it's based have been around for nearly a century.  this longevity allows anyone in the aftermarket business to have confidence in making a part because they know it's a tried and true product that won't dissapear, and there are plenty of customers for their products.

Very true.  The same can be said for the 1911 pistol, the 10/22, and the AR15 and their clones, all of which have tons of aftermarket parts and upgrades.
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 12:52
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

All of the Remingtons I have dealt with in the last 10 years have been short shouldered, long throated, large chambered, rough bored, jerky triggered, bad stock fitted, unsafe 2 position safetied monstrosities that would only shoot decent until lots of work are done on them.  That being said, they are the most well known by gunsmiths and have a very fast lock time.

JMHO

I have not made a detailed investigation into Remington 700 the way you have, but I am with you on this one.  They make a great platform to build a nice gun on.  That is pretty much the only good thing I can say about them.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 12:53
Oh, as far as recoil goes....

O hell, I am not going to go there.  Life is limited, while lunacy is not.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic