OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bore sights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bore sights
    Posted: August/26/2012 at 17:28
Can you recommend a bore sight that is in the $50 range? 

Has any body used these?  

I have herd mixed reviews on this one... is it a waste of $30? 

M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2012 at 18:46
If you're planning to use a bore sight on a bolt action...don't waste your money. Pull the bolt, look down the barrel at a fixed spot, and adjust your scope to the same spot.

I used to use a Bushnell bore sight but the above method is way easier and more consistent
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2012 at 20:55
+1 I do the same thing. And it can be done with ARs as well.
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 06:36
I tried a few laser types and found if I rotated it while in the barrel, the red dot would revole in a circle because it wasn't centered - and I could never adjust it to be centered.

For a couple dollars more you might look at the Leupold Zero Point. It was a bit challenging to figure out what I was doing at first but now that I understand it, if I can figure out the normal bullet drop at 100 yards, I can come close to hitting the bullseye on the first shot. One of my best investments ever.  

Edited by tpcollins - August/28/2012 at 06:48
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 07:03
I just have an old Bushnell stud / collimator type that I have been using for many years. It does ok at getting on paper. Probably cost about $25 20 years ago.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 11:26
For bolt actions I just go with sighting down the bore as well. It helps if you can use a fixed point like a roof peak @ 50 yards or so.
Reaction time is a factor...
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 12:39
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

I just have an old Bushnell stud / collimator type that I have been using for many years. It does ok at getting on paper. Probably cost about $25 20 years ago.

I've got the same one.  Usually it's good enough to get on paper at 25 yards...if the paper's 3'x3'.

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 13:24
I have one by laserlyte that I've been using for about 3 yrs now and it puts me within 2" at 100 yds. 
I still like the old fashioned removing the bolt method on bolt guns, but I can't complain about the laserlyte at all.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
djcooke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2012 at 22:11
Just for semis not bolts... I just want to get on paper 24"x24" at 100 yrds 
djcooke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2012 at 22:35
I got this one since it is made in USA and has great reviews. I am sure it will pay for itself in ammo and time over a few years. Plus the craftsmanship is top notch, I got it today and it is a real nice unit and it comes with ballistics software that prints bore sight targets so you can be almost dead on.  

Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 10:27
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic