OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS, NF and Bushnell HDMR 5-20x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS, NF and Bushnell HDMR 5-20x
    Posted: August/23/2012 at 14:54
I'm looking for opinions on the SS 5-20x50 vs the NF 5.5-22x50 and the Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x 50 for a mid to long range varmint rig.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 15:00
Glass wise, not enough difference to notice.  I'm a huge SS fan.  Love my 5-20 SS.  The adjustments are dead nutz and accurate.  I'm not a bushnell fan, CS has never been their strong point.  IF something happened I wouldn't want to deal with them.  IF something happened with the other two I dont' think any issues of getting it corrected would arrise.  Bang for buck, SS wins my vote.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 15:15
Apples to apples, the SS is above the Bushy in glass. The NF you have listed is second focal plane reticle only, but from the ones I have looked through, it is behind the SS in glass as well. That being said, you can't top NF's reputation as a rock- solid performer tracking wise. I have a SS, and it has also been outstanding. Another scope that is worthy of consideration is the Vortex Razor.
 But I consider the SS to be the best when features vs.cost are weighed.

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 15:28
I would be looking at either the SS or the NF as I am not a Bushnell fan either. I have had both very good and very poor experiences with Bushnell CS. And between the SS and the NF it boils down to whether you want a FFP or a SFP scope and the type of reticle you prefer. The SS is a FFP scope and the NF 5.5-22 is a SFP scope. And NF 5.5-22 has I believe six different reticles available.

I have a number of NF scopes and would have a very hard time parting with any of them. But knowing what I know now I very well may have a SS non illuminated as well.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 16:06
What you may not like with an FFP scope is the reticle covering a small target somewhat at long range. Otherwise, the advantages are numerous. You can't really range on something small out far using the mil dots but you can adjust fire, particularly for windage using the reticle...at any power.

The HD glass in the SS 5-20 is better than that of any NF I've ever looked through and made my NF 2.5-10X32 feel dim.
Reaction time is a factor...
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 16:18
Does anyone have first hand experience with the 3.4-21x50 Buahnell HDMR? My understanding is that the this particular model has significantly better glass than their standard Elite Tactical line, the knobs are much larger and is packaged in a 34mm tube.
aTX427 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aTX427 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 16:28
Excuse my cell phone typo's.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 16:30
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 16:31
Mine would autocorrect...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ccrashking View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccrashking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 19:32
I have both optics NF 5.5-22X56 with the MOAR reticle and a Bushnell elite HDMR  3-21x50 with the H-59 Horus reticle as far as glass goes the nightforce wins hands down in low light conditions. However in the middle of the day honestly my eyes can not tell the difference between the two different scopes. Both seem to track extremely well giving the NF is .250 moa and the elite is 0.1 Mrad one thing i will say is with the elite Hdmr i do see the potential to be more accurate at distance due to the Horus reticle and first focal plane which means 1 mill is always 1 mill no matter the magnification, where as with the night force you have to be on 22 power for the reticle to measure 1 MOA  and at lower magnification it is easy to mistake where your actual hold should be resulting in a potential miss.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 21:51
I have experience with both.  I wish the Bushy had illumination (the v2 will, I am told).  That said, I;d do the NF, unless FFP is a deal breaker.  NF scopes are dead nutz and are almost bullet-proof, they are simply great scopes.  Glass-wise, in full light, it's close to a tie. in low light, the Bushy fades - and no illumination makes it all but useless in very low light.

Add the SS to the mix, and it gets interesting.  The SS is FFP, mil turret and reticle, and is illuminated.  I wasn't really impressed with the sight picture of the 22 5-20 at 20X, but I am seldom impressed with >20X optics at their max range, head position is just too damned picky.

If low light shots are possible, scratch out the Bushy.  Between the NF and SS:

Glass is almost indistinguishable, both are about equally good.
SS is mil/mil, NF has some choices on both reticles and turrets.
Illumination system in the SS is far better.
I find the NF slightly more forgiving of head position at the top end than is the SS.
Both have, for me, tracked dead on.
I hate the turning ocular of the NF.

For the money, it is hard to beat the SS.  I had to jump to a $3,000 20X before I found one liked appreciably more.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2012 at 20:12
I love FFP scopes but varmint use at long range is one of the places where I still think SFP scopes have an advantage just due to how much smaller the reticle subtends at distance.  Not sure how far you plan to shoot and how small the varmints are going to be but this may be helpful.

The SS 5-20 reticle center crosshairs will subtend just under 1.75 inches at 1000 yards whereas the NF NPR-1 will subtend about .625 at the same distance.

I personally think the SS and NF and neck and neck, depending on what features you like.  I really like the G2 reticle on the Bushy but have also had good and fair experiences with Bushy CS and I think their glass is a bit worse.  It will be intersting to see how their Gen 2 HDMR's play out though.

Scot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic