OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Torque specs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Torque specs
    Posted: August/22/2012 at 23:21
What do you torque your rails and rings at? do you use blue lock tight?  
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 23:43
Rail to receiver-15 inch-lbs, ring-caps to ring- bases:18 inch-lbs, rings to rail: 65 inch-lbs.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 10:27
 Mounts & Accessories  Forum under Rings and Bases, the thread Torque Specs! gives alot of info on different manufactures specs. The thread is pinned  hope this helps......

Edited by coyote95 - August/23/2012 at 10:54
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2012 at 11:32
Originally posted by djcooke djcooke wrote:

What do you torque your rails and rings at? do you use blue lock tight?  

Depends on the manufacturer.

What are you using now?
djcooke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2012 at 11:57
I have DNZ one peace mount and rings. I called them and they said 20-24 in lbs on rings and base 
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2012 at 12:01
I feel that is quite abit.

Personally, I like 16 inch/pounds for the screws into the reciever and 16 inch/pounds for the rings as well.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2012 at 12:19
Yes on the 15-16"-# for ring screws- No on the blue Loctite per some ring/base mfgs.
Loctite on DNZ, for instance, voids warranty.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2012 at 14:37
With Seekins rings, I use 15 in-lbs. for the ring screws and 43 for rings to base (which is the nearest to 45 that the Borka torque driver gets).
Reaction time is a factor...
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2012 at 10:40
I look up the max torque for that screw size.
Then I have to know what grade screw it is.
Then I have to measure how much engagement with the female threads.
Then I have to evaluate the female material; Steel is best, but it may be cast iron or Aluminum.
If engagement is more than 1.5 times the root [minor diameter of the screw] the screw is probably the weak link.
Then I have to evaluate the lubrication. Wax makes for much more tension from the same torque. Oil and grease not so much. Clean and dry is the least.
Then I calibrate the torque wrench. I use as standards, a ruler and a weight that I weighed on a balance beam.
Then I do a destructive test on sample material to verity my calculation is correct. If the female is the weak link, I mill sample material to the same thickness.

So far I have only done all this work for the scope mount screws that I drilled and tapped into a Mosin Nagant receiver.

But I have done parts of this exercise for many applications in gunsmithing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic