OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Any Coin Guys Here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Coin Guys Here?
    Posted: August/22/2012 at 08:13
Came across this coin and have no clue what it is.  Looked in several books and had a local shop that was suppose to "know it all" look through their books and they have no idea.  Just trying to find out what or where it came from. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 09:09
wrl stands for  Westair Reproductions Limited

Looks like it is a coin of the Caesars reproduction.  http://www.romanbritain.freeserve.co.uk/ROMANCOINS.HTM
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 09:20
Worth anything?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 09:25
I saw a similar one on ebay listed for 2.5 euros.  So not much.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 13:30
Matching scale reproductions should be outlawed!!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 13:31
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

Matching scale reproductions should be outlawed!!
agreed.  I'm still gonna take it to a pawn shop and see how dumb they areCool
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 13:37
LOL... you'll probably have to wait while they call up a buddy to come check it out. 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 14:26
Neat find
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2012 at 20:23
When he sees the WRL he will probably hand it back and walk away. Watch out for first impressions!!
Unless ofcourse you can deal with a "Chumly".
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2012 at 18:45
Anyone interested in buying the coin would like to know that it is a reproduction of a "Hadrian's coin" in honor of emperor Antoninus Pius, the adoptive son of Hadrian- a 'Denarius' denomination coin originally minted circa 154 AD. Note the seated "Brittania" on obverse.
The Denarius coin was devalued under his rule from 89.5% to ~ 83% purity since the Roman treasuries were depleted tending to the needy and providing expensive entertainment for the masses during the Roman 900 year anniversary celebrations.
Some things never change- bread and circuses.

Antoninus instituted the idea that those accused of crimes should be presumed innocent until proven guilty and trials should be tried where the crime occurred. He tried to limit torture of slaves and prisoners and limited against children under 14 yrs. old, except in special circumstances, but evidence suggests that his edicts weren't completely followed.

Antoninus was known as one of the "good" Roman emperors, having been interested more in human rights, equality and perfection of Roman laws than in conquest or iron rule. He didn't personally undertake any military campaigns during his reign, but relied instead on sending directives to his commanders in the field, most notably in southern Scotland, where the Antonine Wall was erected to supplement Hadrian's wall, neither really containing the fierce Scots.
Upon his death, Rome was assaulted by barbarians of every stripe, having been left alone to gather their forces and strengths under his relative benevolence.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 07:56
You want it alan?
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 09:27
Oh, no Graham, but thanks for the offer!!!
You enjoy it.

It may be a reproduction, but it's an honest repro and it's still a neat coin, don't you think?
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 09:36

I'll probably pass it along to a friend who collects coins.  I found it and am not a coin guy.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 10:59
Of course after you give it away, you will find out that some burglar broke into a house close to where you found the coin. The owner was a rare coin collector, that had his collection insured, and has already been paid by the insurance Co.. The burglar had a hole in the bag that he hauled the loot out with. The coin you gave away was the real deal, and worth a handsome price.
Just sayinWink
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 11:48
Won't wonder about it.

even if it's real the value was desroyed when it was stamped WRL
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 11:50
It is a neat coin though!!!

Whereever did you find it?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 12:22
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

It is a neat coin though!!!

Whereever did you find it?
He found it outside of the house with the broken window.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2012 at 13:20
It actually was dropped in the parking lot outside of a grocery store.  I turned it in to the town police and notified the store as well.  After 60 days they returned it to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic