OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30mm setup...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InThePines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30mm setup...
    Posted: August/19/2012 at 20:25
Hey everyone Im brand new here. I need some help decided what direction to go with my new setup. Ive got a savage mod 11/111 in .308. I have a VX-R 2-7x33 I'm putting on it I just can't decide how to mount it. Its got a 30mm tube. Don't know if I want 1 piece mount, 2, if I'm going to go with qd rings etc. Any suggestions/ testimonials from experience?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 07:45
Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount
Stock # - 730700
  • Remington 700
  • Matte
  • Low
  • 30mm
$41.95 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 08:39
+1, Very good rings. Nice and light so they won't mess up the balance of that light rifle. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 09:37
I agree with what is posted above with exception you might want to consider the extra lows for that rifle, i try to mount it as low as possible for my rifles.  http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-Aluminum-30mm-Scopemount-P46997.aspx

I have extra lows for my VXR 3-9x40, only thing i will say with the extra lows is that you will be limited on the positioning of the scope by the magnification ring in the rear b/c it doesnt clear the talley base unless you move the scope back some. For me it worked out fine and im glad i went with the extra lows, but if it gives you fits then you might just go with the lows.

Also note SVT link is for a Rem 700 not your savage

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 14:06
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Concur with the gentlemen previous. Talley LW's are REALLY nice. Don't be dissuaded by the lack of $$$....these are stellar gear.  

Wasn't aware that they offered a super low. Good catch, Lumberjack.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2012 at 17:30
I also like the Talley Lightweight ringmounts. Its just one less thing to go wrong. If you have a true need to use quick detachable like running two different optics on the same rifle then that would be a different story and the QD would need to be BOBRO or La Rue or GG&G while the base could still be a Talley picatinny rail.
This Remmington is QD 30mm Low La Rue rings on a Talley rail.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/20/2012 at 17:35

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2012 at 07:46
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Concur with the gentlemen previous. Talley LW's are REALLY nice. Don't be dissuaded by the lack of $$$....these are stellar gear.  

Wasn't aware that they offered a super low. Good catch, Lumberjack.  
me either, 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2012 at 08:27
Welcome to the OT!  +3 on the Talley's......
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2012 at 11:19
+1 on the Talley's
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic