OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What gun would you buy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What gun would you buy?
    Posted: March/09/2006 at 23:33
What gun would you guys buy if you were going to hunt prairie dogs or coyotes?  Your budget is about $1000, you can add all the extras later.  I've been strongly considering a DPMS panther in the .223.  They make one called the Arctic Panther, would love to carry this thing around the ND prairie in the winter time.  Also am considering a .204 or a .22-250.  Just wondering what anyone else would pick up if they had an extra $1000 laying around to buy a rodent gun.  Here's a pic of the arctic panther.         &n bsp; 

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 05:08

Does the thousand include the scope?

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 08:31
Carrying around is a good place to start. Do you want a light varmiter to carry around? or a platform gun,like the above,is difficult to carry and usually does it's best of a bipod?
Sneaky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 22:35
The thousand would not include the scope.  This was more of a hypothetical question than anything, I'm a ways away from buying any new guns.  I'm just a poor college student that just saved up some money to buy a new Burris FF II.  I was just curious as to what other people would buy.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2006 at 16:54
For a thousand dollars you can buy some classy guns.  I would have a hard time justifying that on an AR. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2006 at 22:23

PANTHER™ LR-308
(RFLR-308)

Barrel:
• 24” Bull barrel
• 416 Stainless steel
• 6 groove, right-handed 1x10 twist, button rifled

Chamber:
• .308 Winchester

Now in case you haven't considered this there are numerous reasons to select the rifle in .308, first of all you can also use it on larger game animals with good success, second the .308 is much more stable at ranges past 300 yds the bullet just doesnt get blown around by the wind. Ex: 300 yds 10mph wind .223 wind drift 9.2in  and .308 only 7in.

At distances over 300yds the .308 still has enough energy to knock most things down.

Note if you wanted to go less expensive buy a heavy barrel Savage bolt action in .308 I have one of the 20 in heavy barrel bolt guns and it is lots of fun. even this bolt gun will shoot all the bullets I can afford to buy.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2006 at 09:44
I'm not an AR fan, so I'd get a Cooper Varminter in .243.  55gr at 4000fps for dogs; 80gr at 3400 for coyotes.  IF you want to shoot a deer, 100gr at 3000fps.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2006 at 16:06

If you like the AR style rifle, have a good smith build a WSSM in an AR platform. I know G.A. Precision has built some and they are all 1/2 moa guns. (it will definately cost more than a grand though)

Joe

catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2006 at 16:46
I would buy a Savage Model 10 or 12 with 24" barrel and add a Nikon 6-18 X 40 Buckmaster with side focus and now Bullet Drop Compensation. This will leave you with money for ammo. 500 rounds .223 62 gr. Winchester at (competitor) is $209.00 plus freight. There is cheaper ammo, but not in my barrel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic