OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need advice on a scope for my 300 Win.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need advice on a scope for my 300 Win.
    Posted: March/09/2006 at 16:38

Hello, Iam looking for advice on a scope for my new 300 Win., TC Encore. I would like to stay in the $250-$300 range but would consider spending up to $500 if absolutly necessary. I will be using the gun mostly for hunting whitetails. Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2006 at 16:56

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/6520/nikon_3-9x40_monarc h_ucc_riflescope.htm

Welcome to The OT!!

I like this scope and it keeps you in your price range as well.

Good shooting!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2006 at 18:23

Jd,

Do yourself a favor and buy a Zeiss conquest. You can buy them right here at samplelist or SWFA for around the $500 range. You will be glad you did. I know from experience.

abailey54

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2006 at 18:34
Originally posted by abailey54 abailey54 wrote:

Jd,

Do yourself a favor and buy a Zeiss conquest. You can buy them right here at samplelist or SWFA for around the $500 range. You will be glad you did. I know from experience.

Very true........The Conquest is the best scope in it's class, IMO. Actually, a 3-9 Conquest is under $500.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2006 at 18:56

Generally speaking, you want to buy the best scope you can afford.  However, there are a lot of good scopes starting at about $200 on upwards.

IMO, you get the most for your money in the $300 to $600 range.  I would suggest looking at something along the lines of 3-9x40 which is probably the most common and very versatile configuration.

Then, you have to decide on what's most important to you.  For example, if low light performance is the most critical thing then you have to look at glass quality above all else.  That typically means more money, and Zeiss Conquest seemd to be the ticket for getting the best glass for $500.

You did not specify how long the shots are likely to be, but most hunters I know tend to limit their shots to under 300 yards or so.  If that is the case, then reticle design is somewhat irrelevant, a simple plex-type reticle will work just fine.  Range compensating designs that are popular these days really don't add any value at typical big game hunting ranges.

If it is really wet and foggy where you hunt, then you may want to consider Bushnell's Rainguards coatings.

If you have light gun with a powerful cartridge, then you want to pick something with a lot of eye relief.

If you have to acquire your target very quickly then you want a reticle that is very easy to pick out.

Here are, in my opinion, the best scopes, in their price ranges:

~$200 Sightron S2 3-9x42

~$300 Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 and Nikon Monarch 3-9x40.  Monarch has a little longer eye relief, but both are good scopes.  Personally, I would go with the Grand Slam between these two, but that is primarily to provoke cheaptrick.  Looking at them side by side would be a good idea.  Another option in this price range is Sightron S2 3-12x42.  It has more forgiving eye relief than the other two and a little more magnification.

~$400 Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 and Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40.  Burris has slightly longer eye relief, but Elite 4200 has hydrophobic coatings and Firefly reticle which can come in handy in low light.

~$500 Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and Trijicon Accu-point 3-9x40.  Conquest has awesome glass, but Trijicon's reticle glows in the dark and is the fastest to acquire of any scope I've seen to date.

I hope this helps a bit.  Now you just have to figure out what is most important to you and how much money you can spend.

ILya

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2006 at 20:13

I like the elite 4200 2.5-10x40 for a deer hunting scope. It's close to the price range your hoping to stay in too. The low end "2.5" power has a larger field of view and the fire fly reticle sounds like a winner. And also already pointed out the "Rain Guard Coating" may be the difference between clear & fog.

I've seen them advertised for around $360.00 delivered in the USA. 

Can you see me now...
Jdbuck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2006 at 20:25

Thanks for the advice so far everybody. Koshkin, yes most of my shooting will be 300yds or less, so a standard plex reticle will do fine. Low light performance and eye relief are probably the two biggest factors I am concerned aboout.I do also like the idea of the rainguard on the Elite 4200. Is the Elite 3200 worrth its price, and does it compare optically to the other scopes in its price range? I am surprised there is no mention of any of the Leupold scopes (VX-II, VX-I, Riflleman) in this price range.

thanks again

fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 05:08
I think if you did not want the 4200 because of the cost then the Monarch would be a higher quality scope for the money compared to the 3200 and also the Leupolds you mentioned.
Can you see me now...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 16:05
Elite 3200 is a decent scope, but the glass quality is a bit of a letdown.  Very well constructed though.

Leupold VX-II, VX-I and Rifleman are much in the same boat.  Decent scopes backed up by a great warranty, but optically unimpressive and over priced for the glass you get.  If you have to have a Leupold I would suggest you step up to VX-III.

Elite 4200, while very good optically and mechanically, has eye relief on the short side.   Conquest has more eye relief as does Burris Signature Select.  If these are two expensive, I would suggest you look at various SIghtron S2 scopes which have longer and less critical eye relief than most of their competition.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 16:38
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

but that is primarily to provoke cheaptrick.

He really means that too!!   

Jdbuck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 17:32

Okay,I took a trip to Gander Mountain today to get a look at some scopes.First I compared the Buckmaster, Fullfield II, and Elite 3200. To me the Buckmaster had the best clarity, Elite 3200 was a very close second,but not quite as clear, the Fullfield II did not impress me at all. Next I compared the Monarch to the Buckmaster, I really could tell no difference between the two optically, and it was the middle of the day so a low light comparison was not availiable. I really wanted to compare the two Nikons to the Elite 4200 and the Weaver Grand Slam but they had neither of these 2 in stock They did have a Conquest and all I can say is wow! That definitly was a nice scope, there was no problem telling the difference between the two Nikons and the Conquest. Just not sure I can justify spending that much.

So, I guess I have narrowed my choices down a bit. Have any of you noticed a great difference between the two Nikons I list? I really could not tell any difference, but since the Monarch is supposed to have better glass there will most likely be a difference in low light situations. How does the Nikon Monarch compare to the Weaver GS and how does the Elite 4200 compare to both of these? I am assuming the Conquest is in class by itself compared to these other scopes. As far as Leupold goes, I really dont see the need to spend that much for a scope when there are others availible just as good or better for the same price.

The eye reliefe of the Elite 4200 was initially a concerne of mine, but I do have a B&L Elite 3200 3-9 x 40 on a
Ruger 77 MKII Synthetic 300 Win. and have never been whacked with the scope, came very close a few times though, but that gun/caliber combination kicks like a mule on steroids  . I think the Encre will tame the recoil a bit compared to that setup, maybe not though.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 18:40
Comparing the scopes inside the store is typically pretty useless for a number of reasons.  Partly because of the unnatural light that stresses transmission at only a few wavelengths, partly because you are holding the scope in your hand and looking at pretty short distances.  Another thing to consider is that you have to carefully focus each scope for your eye, which few people do when looking at scopes in the store.  Some stores will let you take the scope outside the store (seldom though) to look at some fairly distant target after sunset.  One big problem that I have is that even mild hand tremor can make a major difference.  When I compare scopes at home I put them on a solid rest.

Anyhow, if you are OK with the eye relief of an Elite 3000, you would probably be just fine with a 4200.  If you can not swing the price of the Conquest, Elite 4200 is the next one down glass-wise.

As for Monarch and Buckmaster, the difference is definitely there although it is much more pronounced in low light.

ILya
Jdbuck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jdbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 19:20

All the scopes were tested outside mounted on a dummy rifle, and I did go through the trouble of trying to focus each scope for my eye. I was there for quite some time trying each out. The guy from the store was not much help but he did his best and gave me as much time as I needed. 

So as far as glass goes we have the Conquest then the Elite 4200. How does the Weaver Grand Slam and the Monarch stack up against the Elite 4200?

Thanks

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2006 at 19:23
It really is best to look at scopes with your own eyes.  For my eyes Grand Slam and Monarch are comparable.  Elite 4200 is a bit better.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2006 at 10:23

OK - Since I have  Encores and just traded my 300 WM barrel for a .375 H&H barrel I will say that the kick will most certainly be more noticable than that of your Ruger bolt action, but that's ok, so better eye relief is a factor.Your style of hunting is the primary factor in knowing what scope is right for you. Due to your choice of .300 WM I will assume that you plan for your shots to be mainly from 200 to 600yds while using some type of rest. The factor of good glass is only one of several factors that should be considered. I would therefore not entirely rule out the Burris line of scopes since their Balistic Plex reticle is quite usefull. Leupold also has two reticles in their VXIII line that I like a lot: the Boone & Crocket and the Varmit. The advantage at distance is you have known hold over points that allow for repeatable accuracy at distance. Tactical shooters dial in correction for wind and elevation using target type knobs and some of the scopes you have looked at are able to do this also. Two true tactical type scopes you may wiish to consider as well are the SS10X42 Super Sniper at $299 and IOR 6X42 These are tough scopes

IOR6X42T30 IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope IOR 6x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
SWFA: $449.95
More Info... Buy Now

See link for Leupold VXIII reticles   http://www.leupold.com/products/reticles.htm

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2006 at 18:58

Well I just ordered a 10x42M Super Sniper with side focus for a Winchester Coyote Lite in 300WSM. I find that 10x is not so much power that I have problems using it as a hunting scope it comes on target fairly quickly. I have a Monarch Gold 1.5-6x42 on lay away at a store here in town where I can pay for it a little at a time and put it on my 375 H&H  - dangerous game guns should have lower power scopes in case the critters are encountered at close range.   I really considered this Burris which might be a good fit for you, but I am used to tacticals:

200918 Burris 2.5-10x44 Euro Diamond 30mm Rifle Scope Burris 2.5-10x44 Euro Diamond 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex
  • 30mm
  • Hunter/Comp. Knobs
SWFA: $441.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
AK Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2006 at 02:11
I say go with the Conquest.  I finally bought one.  Hands down better than my Leupolds or Elites.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2006 at 13:33

Zeiss conquest is great glass AK Hunter has a good possible at the top of your indicated price range, I thought they were more in the $700.  range what a nice surprise.

5214609943 Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
  • Free $20.00 Zeiss Conquest Baseball Cap w/ Purchase
SWFA: $499.95
More Info... Buy Now

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic