OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Custom rifle barrel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom rifle barrel
    Posted: August/12/2012 at 11:28
Hey guys I recently aquired the rifle I took my first white tail with. Sad news is that my father isn't as meticulous about his rifles as I am mine. It's an old tang safety m77 that I used to shoot 1/4" groups with in highschool. It's currently chambered in 25-06 but I would like to change it to 6.5-284. Can anyone here point me in the right direction for a custom barrel. I can't make up my mind on who to go with and would like to know if I am thinking in the right direction anyhow. I am currently undecided between Pac-Nor, Lilja, Hart, and Douglas. Is their anyone else out their I should be considering?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 11:35
krieger and e.r. shaw make decents tubes as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 11:59
Hmm I've heard a lot of bad about e.r.shaw. will look into krieger.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 12:03
...and Rock Creek, Broughton, Bartlein, Brux, Shilen...

All of the top names in custom barrels make great barrels that will really shoot.  They all use the same steels, all hold the same land and groove tolerances, and all hand lap their barrels afterwards.  There will forever be debates on whether cut vs button rifling is better, but the end result is all that matters. 

I would pick based on lead time, available twists, available contours, whether you want special rifling profiles (i.e. 5R, 5C, ratchet, 3 groove vs. 5 vs...) and pricing.  You won't go wrong with any of the custom makers' tubes as long as you can get exactly what you want within the timeframe you want, at the price you want.  Picking the best twist rate for the bullets you plan to shoot and chamber dimensions for your chosen load is far more important than who made the barrel.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 13:06
Thank you rifledude, that was what I was wanting to know, so outside of lothar walther they are pretty much the same quality as long as I get the airguaged barrels. That is what it seems like to me just from looking, I have read so much what seems like crap from the net I just wanted to ask people who don't feel like they are seriously going to be defending their families lives with every rifle they own. I swear, it seems that everyone is going to war with their custom rifle these days. I just need a accurate barrel that I can try to hit a 1000 yard metal plate at the local shooting club and maybe do a little hunting on the side with.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 14:02
Pick one of the top makers that also installs the barrel as well. Me, I'm a Hart Barrels guy. Douglas doesn't lap their barrels, although many people seem very happy with them anyway.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 14:11
My McGowan has been lights out as well! I would suggest one of the top brands and a quality smith to chamber and thread it.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 15:41
my .375H&H is a mcgowan tube, and it shoots very well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 17:20
I ve had lilja and a obermyer. Both shot extremely well and are very easy to clean
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 23:55
As mentioned before -- McGowen Precision Barrels of Kalispell MT.

I have had a number of barrels including Lilja, PacNor, Douglas & Hart and the McGowen is easily equal to those.

I have among my many McGowen barrels a Douglas #4, contour in 6.5-06, 1-8, 24 inches and it handles anything from 100 gr Hornady AMax's to 140 Barnes Match burners but I use mostly 123 Hornady AMax's.

I use McGowen's services to fit my barrels and do not ask for extra ordinary specs and they do just fine.

I prefer (just my opinion and personal preference) the 6.5-06 over the 6.5-.284 because I can get lots of .30-06 brass easily and it seems to feed better.

In any event I believe you will be more happy with your new 6.5 than the .25-06 probably because of a better selection of long pointy match type bullets as well as the super good varmint killer the 100 gr Hornady AMax. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 07:39
Douglas is another good one
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 20:13
I would add Benchmark to this list.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 20:45
Lothar Walther... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 23:29
I have

Douglas #4
Hart with Sako contour
Brux #5
Pac-Nor 3 groove #5
Shilen #4
Lothar Walter on factory Beretta Mato

All are good shooters.  The Brux is the only cut rifled, all others are button rifled.  Hart is the only stainless.  The Douglas is lighter in the same contour than the Shilen (great on a hunting carry rifle).  The Pac-Nor 3 groove is the fastest and cleans up the easiest.

More important than the barrel manufacturer is the gunsmith and how well he reams the chamber and squares the action.  I had the Hart done at their facility (turn key job) and they did a good job but there was no interaction between me and the technician doing the work.  3 of the others were done by a gunsmith in Salt Lake City (you can ship a gun anywhere in the lower 48 for about $25.00 insured) and was in constant contact with him making decisions on headspace issues, setting the land depth, neck dimension and finish length.  I like that part of it, after all it is my gun.

If you build a 6.5x284 then you will have more decisions than normal with the 2 different kinds out there (Norma or Winchester) and the many differences in cases.

Since you are in Houston you might have a talk with Charlie Sisk who is a nationally know gunsmith.

Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2012 at 07:32
obermyer is another good one. 
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2012 at 07:39
Thankyou guys I settled on a Lilja tactical contour, I have a few friends that met up with me yesterday afternoon and the accuracy of the Lilja barrel is impressive. They also allowed me to pay the barrel out over the weeks it will take to turn it out witch helps with keeping the wife happy. This is my first custom and was looking at going with cherokee custom guns but if their are any other good gunsmiths in Houston anyone else knows of please let me know. I am trying to keep all the work in my area just for my comfort , I like looking them on the eye when I bring work to them. I plan to do all the stock work my self.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2012 at 08:35
Good choice. Lilja makes a good tube. The one i had shot fantastic and cleaned up easily as well
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2012 at 16:58
Lilja makes excellent barrels...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2012 at 18:07
Spoke to Charlie Sisk today and he recomended Cherokee Rifles as well. Guys name is Jack Smith and I have herd good things about him but he doesn't true Ruger actions, how much of a difference will this actually make in overall accuracy?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/14/2012 at 18:16
Originally posted by Bigdave Bigdave wrote:

Spoke to Charlie Sisk today and he recomended Cherokee Rifles as well. Guys name is Jack Smith and I have herd good things about him but he doesn't true Ruger actions, how much of a difference will this actually make in overall accuracy?

Depends on how outta whack (square) the bolt face is.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic