OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vari-X II Question, Please Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WTB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vari-X II Question, Please Help
    Posted: August/11/2012 at 18:22
First off, thanks for  reading.  I have got my self in a pickle with a recent gun purchase I just made. And yes I know all about Caveat Emptor, but I'm going to try my luck anyway.

I recently purchased a used A-bolt with what was advertised as a VX-III being on top of it.  I picked it up yesterday and unfortunately didn't pay close attention to the scope on top of it.  I just noticed today that it is in fact an old Vari-X II (3-9X50) that is on top of it instead.  Whether or not this was willful deceit or just oversight is yet to be determined, but before I get in contact with the seller I have some questions for you knowledgeable folks.

1.) I purchased the whole-set up for $750.  Considering that the Vari-X II is on top of it, how much is a reasonable amount to ask back from the seller, considering that this was a package deal? 

2.) If I do get stuck with this purchase, I will be upgrading scopes.  How much is a reasonable amount
to ask for the now discontinued Vari-X II individually?  I've looked at websites, and the now produced VX-2 in 3-9x50 is going around $380-$400, which I understand is similar in quality to the Vari-X III.

Again, thank you for reading this and I look forward to hearing from you.  I'm still mad at myself for not paying close attention to the scope when I bought it, as $750 seemed like a hell of a deal for a used a-bolt and VX-III.  I guess the old maxim rings true, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 20:27
That would be a bummer, while I still like the vari xII and still use a couple on rifles I would be upset to pay for a vx iii and get a older vari x.   I would think you could find a used vari x for $165- $200 pretty easily and I am less sure of what the vx iii would bring but I would probably ask for $225 +or- back and settle for $150 though that would still leave me with a little bitter taste in my mouth but at that point I figure it wasn't worth the trouble and stewing about. Depending on what you are planning to use the rifle for I would suggest you use the old vari x a bit before dumping it. Like I said I have a couple in play and they allow me to deer hunt easily during legal shooting hrs. They are reliable and function well despite not being the latest technology.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic