OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - what could you compare the glass in the viper  to
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what could you compare the glass in the viper to

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what could you compare the glass in the viper to
    Posted: August/10/2012 at 23:01
I want to get an idea of the quality of the glass in the Vortex Viper.  Could you compare it to a Leupold or Nikon? or worse?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 12:16
To my eyes, the Viper is comparable to a Bushy 4200... and better than a Nikon Monarch. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 14:13
Better than Leupold VX2 not quite as good as Leupold VX3 would be my opinion.  It is certainly a contender but I still think a Bushy 4200 is better glass and a Conquest is better than any of these.
But Im a blind guy so I just lick em and judge by the texture and taste of the lense coatings. Devil
Its a visual thing you need to look at them and compare for yourself not everyone uses the same prescription for their glasses, and some eyes are more finely tuned to certain color tones, where others are flat out color blind, which is why you can ask ten people this same question and get ten different answers.  With Vortex buy one and try it, look at it, dont mount it or molest it just look at it, and if you dont like what you see pay the postage and send it back and get something else.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 16:23
Are you in the market for another scope?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 18:46
It seems to be near identical to the monarchs even the white haze effect at high powers in terms purely on image. Don't know much regarding fov, etc... The viper psts i currently have seems to be able to focus better though on far off objects like a tree or mountain side 5km away compared to the monarchs though they are still not as sharp or focused as a friend's sf leupold 30 mm vxIII. The vxIII is reported to have not as bright an image as the viper and it seems that way though i don't know if it's because i've read the info and i'm biased but the leupold though has no haze at high powers. The newer vx3s though are reported to be as bright or brighter. I also currently have a friends elite 4200 with the front AO, the image at the higher powers is definitely sharper than the viper and there is no haze effect  probably due to the AO design. The viper and monarch though seem to have a longer eye relief than the leupold and bushy and the image both of the viper and monarch have the black circle or what they call the tunnel effect, not sure of the exact term they use and i've read here and in other forums that some individuals do not like such an effect. At the low power settings though like 10x and below, the image for me is visually as good or near identical on all the scopes i've mentioned in terms of brightness and clarity, though there seems to be a slight difference in hue or vividness between the scopes i don't have the right technical know how to describe it. Both the viper and monarch though are assembled in the exact same factory and to me seems to share similar features because of this, pure speculation on my part though so don't take my word for it, Big Grin.
Gappa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 21:43
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Are you in the market for another scope?

I'm an optics nerd i'm always looking to try a different scope.
And I'm very familiar with the "tunnel" effect, actually I sent a $3600 Schmidt and Bender back because the tunnel was so bad and the eye box made it very difficult for me to get behind.
I actually have a few blind spots in my eyes from getting accidentally flashed with a GCP-2a laser designator when I was back in the service. This makes it very hard when using optics, the optics have to be almost perfect for me to be able to actually enjoy using them.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/11/2012 at 23:14
Well it's official! There is nary a scope made that will make you happy! Might as we stick to Bafska or Counter-Sniper. They are used to the returns...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 04:47
Thanks for your service Gappa & please let us know when you find that  almost PERFECT scope Wink
What will you be using the scope for?

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 06:11

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 06:40
Hell of an eyebox on that scope CT.
God save the Empire!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 08:12
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Great FOV and image quality is top shelf, Craig.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 11:18
You can poke fun at Gappa for his not liking the S&B, but I looked through one on a new Marine Corps sniper rifle a few weeks ago and didn't like it. I adjusted the focus to my eye at 300 yards, adjusted the parallax, and turned the magnification up and down. My 6x42SS is far brighter and sharper than that particular S&B was at any magnification. That particlar rifle was fresh from Quantico, so hadn't been out and abused. I would not have been happy with it.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 11:29
Excess, first off, thank you for your Service and Semper Fi. I am a very strong supporter of SS scopes, but that it is simply not true. Saying a scope is "brighter" is a misnomer any way. But maybe your eyes are different then every one else's. 
 I am not saying the S&B is perfect. I am not saying any scope is. It is just that Gappa has gone through just about 12,000 dollars in scopes in the last three months. Do some research on his posts here. It is rather entertaining...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 12:20
Originally posted by Gappa Gappa wrote:

And I'm very familiar with the "tunnel" effect, actually I sent a $3600 Schmidt and Bender back because the tunnel was so bad and the eye box made it very difficult for me to get behind.

I thought you'd already declared that scope "the most beautiful piece of glass you've ever laid eyes on..." over at the Hide.  Why the sudden about face?

I think you're seeking something you'll never find, but what the hell, you might as well give the March X Tactical a try since you've obviously got no shortage of funds to devote to finding the "perfect" scope.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 13:11
If the scopes you have recently had don't make you happy I would just stop searching.
Old Mil ftw
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 14:54
Originally posted by Gappa Gappa wrote:

So are you going to move up to a Counter Sniper scope now?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 15:07
Try a Hensoldt, best eye box in the industry.

I've used S&B, nice, but never my favorite.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 15:53
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

"TOP OF THE LINE BABY!"   
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 19:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

It almost makes you think you're not even looking through an optic, eh Mark?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2012 at 20:00
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic