OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 1-4x

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 1-4x
    Posted: August/10/2012 at 11:31
I've been on a lookout for a new scope to replace my Viper PST 1-4x on my AR and ran across a used SS 1-4x at a price I couldn't ignore.  Comes with the circle dot reticle and capped turrets.  Latter part surprised me since I didn't think the circle dot reticle was available with the capped turrets.

Can the capped turrets be converted to exposed turrets besides just removing the caps? Not sure if the turrets under the caps are finger adjustable or requires a coin/shell casing to adjust.  Noticed the 1-6x scope will have this capability and include thread protectors.

Is there a link to download product literature/user's manuals for this scope?

I've asked these questions of SWFA but figured I'd take a shot here as well.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2012 at 11:55

Very quick response from SWFA.  You cannot convert the turrent housing from capped to uncapped.

SWFA is also in the middle of rewriting the owner's manual for all the SS product line but he was kind enough to provide me with a draft copy.

Outstanding customer service. 
gaberelli View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaberelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2012 at 13:44
Marine24,

I sent you a PM.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 14:36
I have to admit that I was a skeptic on the quality of the SWFA SS 1-4x despite the testimonies of members on this forum, but I just received a used one and all I can say is wow.  There is no comparison to the Vortex Viper PST that I just sold and frankly makes my Var X III pale in comparison.

Sitting in my office looking out a window to a field across the road under overcast skies, the clarity and resolution under these less than ideal conditions are outstanding.

Hands down the optics in the SWFA 1-4x is better than what I have on my Nikon Monarchs, Leupold Var X III and Zeiss Conquest.  I'd be hard pressed to make a call on whether my Nightforce NXS was better than the SWFA.

Now I can understand why folks can effectively use lower magnification setting to achieve results that I required much greater magnification to accomplish.

Edited by Marine24 - August/13/2012 at 15:26
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 15:13
Welcome aboard.  Forever forward it will be very difficult to use scopes of lesser optical quality. 

Now when are those SWFA hunting scopes coming out??  Bucky

The SS competes with the Razor line, most people have a hard time believing that until they use one,  then they understand.  The PST line is not even in the same league. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2012 at 15:36

It can be an expensive reality but one you can't dispute.

Went through this same reality with 1911s.  Sometimes being ignorant isn't a bad thing, particularly if you don't consider hot dogs and ramen as being part of a nutritional meal.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic