OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Ruger Mini 30 7.63x39

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Ruger Mini 30 7.63x39
    Posted: August/08/2012 at 15:31
Are any of you shooting a Ruger Mini 30 or Mini  14 and if so what scopes have you had good success with.   Like the M 1a this is a fast action semi auto.  The rifle comes with one inch rings where I typically would prefer.  I tend to lean toward a fixed power scope 4x or less as I dont forsee the 7.62x39 cartridge being the rifle I would select past that.   I kind of like this  4x IOR but I would be happier with something like a 2x .  Also this price range or less would be preferable.
IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope 4A IOR 4x32 Hunting Rifle Scope
Stock # - 403240
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 1"
$359.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 17:04
Wes, if you want a 2x why not an Acog or aimpoint?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 17:11
Because both are way beyond his price range (looking at new ones here).
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 17:45
Im not planning on putting an illuminated optic on it, I have other rifles set up that way, this one I just plan to play with coyotes probably, and honestly I am already regretting buying it, I was going to buy a stainless 45-70 but it was scratched up so I bought this without really researching it.  While they do make hi cap mags for it they are spendy and scarce, and Ruger does something funky with the barrel apparently bore is a .308 made to swage down the .310  typical 7.62x39 so there are mixed stories about reliability with different AK import ammo and brass case US ammo is recommended. The Horniday book shows loads for .308 150 gr bullets which may make it interesting and more effective so its a new challenge, but it is stainless.  The 30mm rings for ruger are spendy for what they are in Leupold or Ruger and it comes with one inch rings so either a fixed power or low power variable one inch tube sounds like the ticket.  I do have some concern that a NON -Tactical  hunting type variable may not hold up to this action so I want a company who offers a good warranty.  One of the first scopes I thougth of was the now discontinued 2-7 Viper. I also spotted a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest on samplelist.  Pretty sure the 3-9 Zeiss will either go on it or I may do a scope switch and put my 2-7 Viper on it and the 3-9 on the other rifle.  Really what I probably should have done was buy the 45-70 and try to buff out the marks on it. OOPS

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 17:47
to go to an ACOG one would first have to go to a rail.
GG&G Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle Accessory GG&G Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle Accessory
Stock # - GGG1382
  • Mini-14 Ranch Rifle MIL-STD-1913 Scope Mount
$49.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 18:21
Paul has one in the .223 version the Mini - 14 so I thought the Mini - 30 would afford the opportunity to shoot really cheap 7.62x39 ammo that I did not have to reload. OOPS that may not be the case.  To get the most out of it probably will require reloading 150 gr hornidays into brass cases. 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 18:22
I would suggest a Leupold 1-4x with heavy duplex.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 18:26
His has a 1-4 Bushnell Trophy.  But to go to 30mm rings I think you have to order them from Ruger. Now if the darn thing used the same 30mm rings that the Ruger Model 77 bolt guns use I have a set laying on the bench but that would just be way too easy so rather than buy 30mm rings it seems better to spend more and go to a 1 inch tube scope of better quality.
Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUS731424E
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4A
  • 30mm
  • Comes with Lens Covers
$229.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/08/2012 at 18:35

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 18:33
True a 1-4 or 2-7 does make a lot of sense.    But it has to be a 1 inch tube.
Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 1-3x20 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849400
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$169.95
Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope
Stock # - RED67080
  • Matte
  • 4-Plex
  • 1"
$179.95 
Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 Riflescope Duplex Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66370
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$399.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 18:34
But buy purchasing a 3-9x40 Conquest new   Rudolphone just might get LUCKY. Devil

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 18:40
Guess What just went on SALE for a hundred off and now just $399.95 where last month it was $499.95:
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214609920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$399.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 19:11
Have you checked out your friend's Bushnell Trophy? I'm curiuos as to optical quality, eye relief, field of view and brightness. I'm asking because I'm looking for a 30mm compact scope for my Gunsite Scout and looking for an alternative to a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x. I'm leanig towards a VX-6 1-6x.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 19:50
Conquest glass is awesome but unless the display model I messed with had jacked up turrets. I've felt better turrets on a Bushnell Sharpshooter.

The 2-7x32 Viper sits on my. 243 coyote gun. Really like those scopes hope vortex comes out with something similiar again.
Old Mil ftw
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 20:02
Wow, I think I would jump on the Conquest on sale.  Close to your price range and can be run on 3x.  

There is a Burris Sig Sel 1.5-6x40 on the sample list that would be a good mag range for the rifle.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 20:04
I had a weaver classic 4x38 on mine and that worked out quite nicely
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 21:23
The weaver 4x is probably a great choice, good suggestion. Im leaning toward putting the 2-7 Viper on it and putting the new 3-9 Conquest on the other rifle.  I thougth about the Burris but for some reason I have not had good luck with most of the Burris products.  I do have a 1x Burris on an Encore pistol and I thought about using that but the deal on the Zeiss was too good to pass up I almost bought one last year when they were on sale then regretted it later when the price went up to $500.   As for the 1-4 Trophy I like the scope but I had to put a piece of rubber under the cap to hold the battery in place, its not a great scope but its an OK scope for the money and does have illumination which most stuff in that price range doesnt. Still If I was going to go to 30mm rings I would use an Aimpoint 9000L or a 6x42 Super Sniper probably. The only 1-4 scope I have is a 30mm tube Trijicon which would be a great choice on this rifle except for the fact I dont want to buy the 30mm rings when I already have a set of Ruger 30mm rings that fit their bolt guns and they use an odd ball size screw smaller than most others. I tried for a long time to stay only with 30mm tube scopes but that leaves out a lot of teritory.
The more I think about it the 4x weaver probably would be a great choice.
Weaver 4x38 Classic K Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 4x38 Classic K Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849415
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$144.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - August/08/2012 at 21:28

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 21:30
Well, I know I like the one weaver I have, and the ancient weaver 6x on my dads 270 has always impressed me.  The viper will be a good match for the gun.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 21:56
I'm running a redfield revolution 2x7 on my Mini-30,works great, good glass.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 23:31
Tagged for interest.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 23:40
Considering the specifics of the cartridge, I would probably be inclined to put a Weaver V3 on that rifle.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic