OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rock River Polymer Frame 1911???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2nd_2_NONE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock River Polymer Frame 1911???
    Posted: August/07/2012 at 10:25
has anyone herd anything about these at all yet?

im curious to know what they are going to price them at and how well they are going to hold up with the polymer frame on them.

i mean i own a rock river AR and i think its great just wondering if anyone knows anything about their pistols.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 10:33
Is nothing sacred ? A polymer 1911 frame ? That's like screwing with apple pie or peanut butter & jelly.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 10:56
As far as durability, I don't see why it would be an issue.  There are many many pistols with polymer frames that are just fine.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
2nd_2_NONE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2nd_2_NONE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 12:28
i agree i just wasnt sure how it might hold up in an older layout like the 1911.

roy, lmao a lighter more affordable 1911 wouldnt be a bad thing in my mind.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 12:31
if you want plastic there are other fine plastic guns out there.  A 1911 should never be in the same sentence with plastic frame though! 

Just wait for Rancid to see this!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 12:44
I have not handled one, but from what i read (i think it was from a shotgun news article on it a few months back) was that with the polymer frame the grip was not the same size as a standard 1911. They made it wider where now the grip more closely resembles the size of a double stack grip. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 12:53
Next thing you know the Chinese will start making Corvette aftermarket body parts out of steel.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 12:54
Actually, I've owner an SVI double-stack 1911 for many years, it is one of my nicest 1911s, and one of my most accurate.

I hear RRA is taking some wlae's body and adding their slide and parts, but am not certain.

If less expensive and lighter is the idea, look at a Springfield Commander.

iPhone post, probably lots of errors.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 12:54
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

if you want plastic there are other fine plastic guns out there.  A 1911 should never be in the same sentence with plastic frame though! 

Yes.
2nd_2_NONE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2nd_2_NONE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 13:17
did not mean to rubb anyone the wrong way lol i was just curious what everyone thought!

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 13:21
I'm secretly working with Chris Farris on square tubed rifle scopes. Code name Super Sniper Squared HD.

Big Grin
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 14:49
People can be fanatical about 1911s, no worries. I've been shooting them long enough to see many "improvements" (Kimber external extractor) fall away and reveal the true genius of the original design.

What exactly is it you like, grip safety, barrel lockup, grip angle, etc?

If you are new to 1911 and this is to be a daily carry, don't get a 1911 unless you plan to spend at least as much on training and ammo as you spend on the gun itself.

iPhone post.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2012 at 08:07
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If you are new to 1911 and this is to be a daily carry, don't get a 1911 unless you plan to spend at least as much on training and ammo as you spend on the gun itself.

This is just GOOD preachin right there. Can't be said enough. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2012 at 08:21
Never thought I see the day that we now have tupperware 1911,especially from a company that made one of the finest 1911 ever constructed.Now I may have to sell my RR ATH ar15 Sad
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2012 at 19:22

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2012 at 19:51
I'm not a purist but the only reason to make a polymer 1911 is for the trigger. Ergonomically a S&W M&P45 feels in the hand a lot like a lightweight 1911 but the trigger leaves whole a lot to be desired when compared to a 1911. Even after a trigger job that makes the M&P one fine handgun the trigger pales in comparison to a 1911.

On the other hand I'm a huge fan of S&W's 1911s and their external extractors.  The bending the extractor to set tension old school way of doing it just bugs me. I do my own but it just seems kluggy.

Edited by sholling - August/21/2012 at 20:01
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic