OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

FFP and other data

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FFP and other data
    Posted: August/06/2012 at 11:24
Hi all I am sure this topic is somewhere in here and if so can you point me to the post... 

I am shopping for a hunting/shooting scope approx 6-20 mag preferably FFP for my 300 win mag

Is there a good website that compares current FFP scopes that are on the market? preferably consumer level $1500 and less 
Vortex, Meopta, Falcon... 

I was looking on swfa.com but it is poor to compare it only sorts by brand so you have to go through every brand and see what they have and then it is hard to see if the glass is from China or Germany

Zeizz is supposed to be the best glass right? 
Meopta is an america company with German glass considered a great value 
Vortex is an American company but where is there product made? 

I am a business owner and would like to support American manufacturing... What other brands should I be looking at? 

Thanks    
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 11:27
www.opticsthoughts.com is a good place to read allot on offering availible
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 11:31
Almost noone makes scopes in the US other than US Optics, but they are out of your price range.

Zeiss Conquest scopes are assembled in the US, but the components are made elsewhere.

Meopta is a Czech company with a facility in the US where they assemble some of their scopes (the Meopro line).

Vortex is in Wisconsin, but their scope are made in Asia with different product lines made in different places: Razors are made in Japan, Diamondback and Viper in Phillipines, Crossfire in China.

If you are looking for a high mag FFP scope for about $1500, your best options are 

SWFA SS and Bushnell Elite are made in Japan.
Viper PST is made in the Philliipines.

ILya
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 14:25
Ilya has spoken

Let it be said
Let it be done
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 14:56
+1 on the SS 5-20.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 16:22
As a 300WM owner and advocate, I would caution against too much magnification.  In truth, glass quality trumps magnification every time.

Additionally, unless hunting from very, very stable positions, you are never going to have your optic at 20X, and you might find yourself in a situation where you wish you had less magnification (more field of view) than 5-6X.

My go-to hunting/range 300WM wears a Premier Light Tactical 3-15X.  It is frequently on 3X, seldom on 15X, and I have never failed to take a shot due to not having enough magnification.

Premier is slightly out of your budget, but the message is don't hang up on the magnification top end, get good glass in a dependable optic. Also get glass that allows you to take shots you will actually encounter.  Hunting deep woods with a 15X optic is about as intelligent as taking a recurve bow to a place where all shots are 300+ yards.

Unless you hunt at 1000+ yards, then...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 16:31
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

As a 300WM owner and advocate, I would caution against too much magnification.  In truth, glass quality trumps magnification every time.

Additionally, unless hunting from very, very stable positions, you are never going to have your optic at 20X, and you might find yourself in a situation where you wish you had less magnification (more field of view) than 5-6X.

My go-to hunting/range 300WM wears a Premier Light Tactical 3-15X.  It is frequently on 3X, seldom on 15X, and I have never failed to take a shot due to not having enough magnification.

Premier is slightly out of your budget, but the message is don't hang up on the magnification top end, get good glass in a dependable optic. Also get glass that allows you to take shots you will actually encounter.  Hunting deep woods with a 15X optic is about as intelligent as taking a recurve bow to a place where all shots are 300+ yards.

Unless you hunt at 1000+ yards, then...

What mag do find yourself on most often if there is one?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 16:39
6X.  With my Gen 2 XR, it is quite clear and detailed, and I have great field of view.

I ALWAYS go into the field at 3X.  I have had opportunities to take quick, close shots - shots I could not have taken had the optic been on 10X or 15X.

On a Kudu hunt in South Africa recently, our PH took a shot with Remf's gun on a kudu that was very close.  He pulled up the rifle to find that Remf left it on 12X and all he could see was fur.  He squeezed off a round, missed, jacked another, "pointed" the gun, no optic involved, and hit the kudu in the head.

Excess magnification is bad, not enough can be frustrating, but can be overcome.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 16:52
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

6X.  With my Gen 2 XR, it is quite clear and detailed, and I have great field of view.

I ALWAYS go into the field at 3X.  I have had opportunities to take quick, close shots - shots I could not have taken had the optic been on 10X or 15X.

On a Kudu hunt in South Africa recently, our PH took a shot with Remf's gun on a kudu that was very close.  He pulled up the rifle to find that Remf left it on 12X and all he could see was fur.  He squeezed off a round, missed, jacked another, "pointed" the gun, no optic involved, and hit the kudu in the head.

Excess magnification is bad, not enough can be frustrating, but can be overcome.

I went out shooting pds this weekend and practiced using variable to try and brake my habit of always using highest mag. Do you you mostly hunt in wide open terrain?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 20:58
I hunt about as varied terrain as you can get. I also hunt with a 300 WM that used to wear a SS 5-20. Excellent scope and match for a 300 if you are only going to do long range hunting. Unless i am in the wood, i hunt on 6x. In the woods, my scope is always on the lowest setting. If i need more then i it up.

As RC said, it is better to have too little than too much magnification for most situations.

My 300 is going to get rescoped with 3-15 range or so scope. Enough for close, and trust me, 15 is more than need for 1000 yards.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
djcooke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 22:32
I hunt wide open country and would not expect to shoot less then 100 yrds if not I would take my 30-30... I want to drop a buck a 600 and have no doubt about a clean kill and then go the 1000yrd range for fun. 

How bad are these 2? 

Thanks 
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 22:54
The Falcon, is pretty typical chinese, one might be great, the next might be horrible. I didn't think it was worth the risk with MY money.
 The Buckmaster is a decent scope, but it is not FFP, and it has a limited amount of internal elevation.
The Bushy has its detractors about the quality of its glass, but I have not heard of anybody complaining of the function scope. For the scopes listed and your earlier stated requirements, this would be my pick if I did not already own a SS5-20.
The conquest and the meopro are heads and shoulders above the rest in glass quality, but neither are FFP. Neither would be my choice for a long range paper puncher either.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
djcooke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 23:48
How good is the glass on the SS 5-20?  

would I be better of not having FFP and getting the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 for $200 less because the glass is that much better? 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 23:56
Originally posted by djcooke djcooke wrote:

How good is the glass on the SS 5-20?  

would I be better of not having FFP and getting the Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 for $200 less because the glass is that much better? 

The glass in the Conquest is not better than in the SWFA SS.  If anything, I thing the SS edges out the Conquest a little in terms of optical quality.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/06/2012 at 23:57
I have not even looked through a Conquest, so I can not compare them. I do know that the glass in my SS is spectacular! I also know that the adjustments track extremely well, and return to zero every time. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 00:00
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I have not even looked through a Conquest, so I can not compare them. I do know that the glass in my SS is spectacular! I also know that the adjustments track extremely well, and return to zero every time. 

I have not had the two side-by-side, but I have seen both at different times.

Conquest 6.5-20x50 is a nice varmint scope.

SS 5-20x50 is a nice tactical scope. 

They are built differently and intended for different purposes.

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 00:01
Mr. Cooke, with all due respect, please reconsider your desire to "drop a buck at 600". Trust me, it ain't that easy. There are guys on here who know what my longest shot on a game animal was and I'll never do it again. It took a great rifle with a great scope, a thorough knowledge of ballistics (I've written and published a commercially available ballistics app), a rangefinder, handloads and, prior to all that a chronograph to measure muzzle velocity along with range testing my dope.

Yeah, it's possible and I won't get into the ethics. But don't think just a good scope is going to make that happen.
Reaction time is a factor...
djcooke View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djcooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 00:05
what is the Warranty on those lifetime? Where are the SS 5-20s made? 
Thanks 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 00:08
Warranty is more or less the same on all of the quality scopes.

SS scopes are made in Japan.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2012 at 00:11
The scope is manufactured in Japan, for SWFA. And is backed by a life-time warranty, and great customer service.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic