OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield Revolution or Vortex Viper?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield Revolution or Vortex Viper?
    Posted: August/04/2012 at 10:24
I need a replacement scope for my 12 gauge Ultra Slug that I only use in rainy days of firearms season (otherwise it's my ML). I'm looking at the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm for around $170 discounted with the BDC reticle.  I'm also thinking about the Vortex Viper 2-7x32mm with the BDC reticle for $200.

Is one better than the other optically/ruggedly or is it a coin toss? Thanks.

Edited by tpcollins - August/04/2012 at 11:45
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 10:55
According to ILya's review ( http://www.opticstalk.com/inexpensive-scope-comparison_topic21176.html) Vortex Diamondback is superior to Redfield Revolution.

The Viper is (supposedly) superior to the Diamondback.
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 11:34
The Diamondbacks have superior field of view than the Vipers. But they are supposedly not as clear as the viper and the pull up turrets on the viper are awesome. Both will hold up under recoil. The Vortex of any type but the Crossfire are superior to the red fields.

I have a 3-9x40 Diamondback. And the 2-7x32 Viper and the Diamondback is better in low light slightly and has an awesome field of view. The 2-7 Diamondbacks field of view is superb.
Old Mil ftw
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 11:59
Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

The Diamondbacks have superior field of view than the Vipers. But they are supposedly not as clear as the viper and the pull up turrets on the viper are awesome. Both will hold up under recoil. The Vortex of any type but the Crossfire are superior to the red fields.

I have a 3-9x40 Diamondback. And the 2-7x32 Viper and the Diamondback is better in low light slightly and has an awesome field of view. The 2-7 Diamondbacks field of view is superb.

Thanks Trickster and Roto - not sure how to determine "supposedly".

Roto - I'm a bit confused what you're saying. Is the 3-9x40 Diamond back better in low light than what -  a 2-7x32  Viper? Or is a 2-7x35mm Diamondback brighter in low light than the 2-7x32mm Viper?

If I'm hunting in rainy, foggy type weather then I guess I don't need a Swarovski type image. The FoV on the Diamondbacks is HUGE . . .  
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 14:14
I said the Viper is supposedly better than the Diamondback because I don't own either, so I can't claim anything. I'm just a forwarder No Clue.

As far as I understand RotoReuter_DM's post, the 3-9x40 Diamondback is better in low light than the 2-7x32 Viper.

The main thing is that the Viper is better optically (and probably mechanically as well) that the Redfield. If the FOV is an issue go for the Diamondback.

Vortex has a couple of videos on Youtube where they show of the main features of a scope from each of the scope series they sell. You can check it out, if you want.

"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 14:40
Neither are a sloutch in low light but the diamondback seems easier and the reticle is thicker. Both are solid my diamondback is on a 308 and viper on 243.
Old Mil ftw
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 17:29

tp,
   The difference in the fov comes from the longer eye relief on the Viper scopes. 
        Viper 2-7x32  e/r 4"@2X         fov 46.7'
                                  3.7"@7X             13.4'

Diamondback 2-7X35   e/r 3.5"@2X     fov 64.3'
                                                  3.1"@7X           19.3'

Viper 3-9X40   e/r 3.7"@3X     fov 35.5'
                                      3.5@9X            12.2'

Diamondback 3-9X40  e/r 3.5"@3X   fov 44.6'
                                                   3.3"@9X          14.8'

Both series are GOOD scopes but the Vipers are of a higher quality(those 2-7 scopes use to be in the $300 range and compare equally with the 4200 Elite,VX3,and close to the Conquest).  I've got two 2-7 Vipers (C3 reticles) and to date they are my favorite scope for the type of hunting I do. I haven't any problems in the lowest light I've hunted in.  The fov is fine.  And the extra e/r over the Diamondback comes in handy on the one rifle (9.3x62). 

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 19:58

Thanks 300 S&W, I think the Viper is the better choice because of the optics and the longer eye relief. Those 12 gauge Ligthfield slugs I shoot kick like a mule!

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 21:14

You'll like that extra e/r for sure.

Yea,those slug guns do kick!  Had a friend of mine brought his 12yr son up to WV from the Eastern Shore of Md yrs back.  His son had some sort of dedicated slug gun that he used for deer hunting there (shotgun slugs only allowed) and wanted to check his sight in.  Mossberg I believe.  He was a BIG 12yr old and did GOOD. When we were done I brought out my daughter's .243 Ruger Ultralight Carbine and asked him if he'd like to shoot it.  You'd of thought I asked him to jump off a cliff or something.  He wouldn't touch it so I asked him what if I shot it one handed.  He dared me.  After I did he proceeded to shoot a box and half of shells.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 21:28
I agree the Viper will be awesome its really easy to pull up and get a quick clean sight picture with it for sure.
Old Mil ftw
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 22:04
I cant speak for the diamondback, but my 2-7x32 viper with BDC reticle has proven to be flat out awesome. plenty of ER and no issues in low light all the way until stone cold dark. a friend of mine has the redfield and it does not even think about hanging with the viper.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/04/2012 at 23:10
Im fond of the Viper 2-7 that I have. Thunbs Up   I do think the 2-7 in the Vortex Viper line was discontinued and sold out at a discounted price.  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2012 at 08:25

If your terrain differs from woods to open and everything in-between then I would go Viper 2-7. But if I was hunting in mostly woods, brush and confined areas, the wider fov is nicer (DB 2-7), especially on moving targets.

Not sure if this would help or just confuse you; On my rigs dedicated to woods, brush, etc I choose a 50 yd parallax setting over 100yds, but adjustable is nice too.

Of coarse, this is argumentative, depending on mag range, glass quality, what you like or want to deal with, etc when dealing with scopes and cost vs. features/performance.

You truly get what you pay for.

Eagle

Edited by EAGLE - August/05/2012 at 08:30
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/05/2012 at 21:07
I stumbled across a deal on a brand new 2-7x32mm Viper today and it should ship out tomorrow.  I was playing with the ballistics calculator using the subtensions of the BDC reticle and it looks like this scope will do just find. Thanks for the nudge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic