OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

heat waves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 23:47
Ah, so it is a 6x36, then.

It is a nice scope in its own right, but the Swaro 3-6x36 will run circles around it (as it should considering the price difference).

If you are worried about heat, set the scope to 3x.

ILya
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 23:48
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Rustic the best way to beat tough conditions is to have the best equipment. Your scope is important, it doesn't really matter what is written on the outside of the scope, as long as what you see through the scope is clear and allows you to place bullets where you intend. I have never "hunted" with either. But your Swaro is a 6x, as well as a 3,4,5,7,8,9x! Can you see where that might be more flexible an option?

As a big believer in K.I.S.S. and old habits are hard to break.
Yes to a degree, to tell you truth though chances are I will not be able to get any closer than 300+ yard from anything. And since I have never shot any big game on anything less than max mag I am going to have to remind myself to use other mags in breaking an old habit.

Edited by rustic - August/02/2012 at 23:59
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 00:08
I am certain that I picked the right variable scope for this type of hunting though. It has a real good balance of compact size/lightweight/simple design/reasonable price/CS.
Hope it works in the field... I'm sure it will.

Edited by rustic - August/03/2012 at 00:18
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 00:30
I'll tell you what rustic, if it doesnt work for you in the field, i will buy it from you, because i know it will work great in Montana.

Now, my experience from hunting antelope is that if you beat all the other hunters in there and you do it at the start of the season before the goats are gun shy, you should have no problem getting well less than 300 yards from them. If that isnt the case, then you will have to do a spot and stalk with a longer shot, but if done right will give time to set up the shot and chose your mag setting.

As for the habit of the highest setting, when you get out of the truck, stick it on 6x and leave it until you need more.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 01:26
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I'll tell you what rustic, if it doesnt work for you in the field, i will buy it from you, because i know it will work great in Montana.

Now, my experience from hunting antelope is that if you beat all the other hunters in there and you do it at the start of the season before the goats are gun shy, you should have no problem getting well less than 300 yards from them. If that isnt the case, then you will have to do a spot and stalk with a longer shot, but if done right will give time to set up the shot and chose your mag setting.

As for the habit of the highest setting, when you get out of the truck, stick it on 6x and leave it until you need more.

I guaranty you on opening day I will be the first into that walk-in. I am counting on that.
I will work on using different mags.
It should be a good season I drew great tags.

Edited by rustic - August/03/2012 at 01:48
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 06:22
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Rustic the best way to beat tough conditions is to have the best equipment. Your scope is important, it doesn't really matter what is written on the outside of the scope, as long as what you see through the scope is clear and allows you to place bullets where you intend. I have never "hunted" with either. But your Swaro is a 6x, as well as a 3,4,5,7,8,9x! Can you see where that might be more flexible an option?

Yes to a degree, to tell you truth though chances are I will not be able to get any closer than 300+ yard from anything. And since I have never shot any big game on anything less than max mag I am going to have to remind myself to use other mags in breaking an old habit.

I'll stay!!!  Cause you sure seem to be stuck on STUPID!!!  A Darwin Award just has to be in your future...  Hasn't ANYTHING these fine people have been telling sunk in???  I'm having a hard time figuring out why they are still trying... Loco
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 07:33
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I'll stay!!!  Cause you sure seem to be stuck on STUPID!!!  A Darwin Award just has to be in your future...  Hasn't ANYTHING these fine people have been telling sunk in???  I'm having a hard time figuring out why they are still trying... Loco

Sorry to disappoint ya. ;)

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 07:39
Ya don't, you always do full circle anyways back to your Leupold(s). Not sure why you ask for help and why we keep falling for it.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 08:28
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Ya don't, you always do full circle anyways back to your Leupold(s). Not sure why you ask for help and why we keep falling for it.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Like I said from here on out I WILL refrain altogether from doing any "branding". ;)
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 08:44
Xxxxxx 1.25-4x24 30mm length weight and so on.

Matte 4A w/ Illuminated Dot 30mm Rainguard HD Ultra-Wide Band Coating Argon Purging Process

As an example if ask about a scope- info presented^
Sure, by the rainguard - etc. The brand can be known but, It might boot brand loyalty to the side a bit so just the specs can compared not who it was made by??
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 08:47
Dude! Eat a Snicker's...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:00

Xxxxxx 1.25-4x24 30mm length weight and so on.

Matte 4A w/ Illuminated Dot 30mm Rainguard HD Ultra-Wide Band Coating Argon Purging Process

As an example if ask about a scope- info presented^
Sure, by the rainguard - etc. The brand can be known but, It might boot brand loyalty to the side a bit so just the specs can compared not who it was made by??
We are not knocking your Leupold against your Swaro due to brand loyalty. We are just telling you how it is. Loco I have had a Swaro 3-9x36 on a rifle for a long time now and I wouldn't consider putting a VX-6 on it much less a dang VX-2 because some paid writer wrote an article about fixed power being better for mirage! I have hunted in Texas quite a bit and that Swaro will do fine in any temp you as a human can function in. Case settled.Here Ye Here Ye

Edited by Chris Farris II - August/03/2012 at 09:07
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:20
To ALL:

I like, no LOVE, free and open debate... where it is warranted.  This thread and a couple of others with similar "tones" have digressed to a point that they are random, indecipherable, monotonous blatherings.

Please note the posted rules:

2.  No personal attacks.  If you think someone is an idiot, (chances are) everyone else does too.  No need to post it.

8.  SWFA's OpticsTalk forum is a peaceful community of like minded shooting, hunting and outdoors enthusiasts.  Open minded, logical, rational debates are healthy and welcome.  Close minded, agenda pushing, strong handed debates (bordering on arguments) to prove one's position or point simply for the sake of winning or to gain some perceived power are not welcome.

I perssonally believe 8 should be number 2.  Change the tone of these threads... OP's and responders.  

OP's... (for those that don't know that means Original Posters) you have an obligation when requesting assistance to 1) intelligently pose your question and follow-ups so that it is/they are understandable and does/do not appear to be a drunken or drug-induced rambling, 2) regardless of whether you LIKE the answer you get or not, respond in a respectful way... "your opinion does not match mine, perhaps you have other thoughts on the subject" is a reasonable way to tell someone you disagree but still would like to try to find information that suits your purpose.  If your purpose is "trolling", inciting flamethrowing commentary, creating an air of unintelligible meanderings, it will be dealt with.  
I think I speak for all the moderators when I say that none of us like to ban people from the site.  Because of this distaste for eliminating members, we sometimes allow a lot of leeway in threads that should probably be halted... and we are all human and sometimes get caught up in the "fray".  "Thread lock" is a tool I have been reluctant to use... closing down threads... but I am going to increase my assessment of it as a means to stop idiocy.  Be warned, if I lock two of your threads, "third time pays for all..."
I've had no fun reading, participating in, any of the threads recently begun by a couple of fairly new members.  I find them exceedingly distasteful, moronic in instances.  If anyone feels like they are being singled out... you may be...  
The Optics Talk Forum is a KNOWLEDGE-BASED forum.  It is designed to share information, real, truth-based information, on optics, firearms, accessories, virtually anything to do with hunting and shooting sports and occupations and the regular, long-term members have a depth of knowledge difficult to reproduce anywhere.  I will not sit idly by and see its value lessened, its purpose denigrated, by infantile, blatantly provocative drivel...

Now what were we talking about here?  I think it got lost after response to the first post...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:24

Dude! Eat a Snicker's...

Good one

Will clarify-
I will not buy a ford, dodge or chevy just because it's a ford, dodge or a chevy. It makes more sense go off the specs fitting your purposes. Just like the last scope I bought it fit nicely in what I wanted size, weight, budget, etc. I could care less on the brand when I think about it - even the dreaded "L" brand its not about the brand I am draw'n to their type of specs and their product has worked wonderfully for me in the past to present. Just like the new brand of scope I bought recently their CS has been above expectation. If it works great in the field(I am sure it will... it works great for others no reason to believe it will be any different in my case) I will be a happy camper.

Now on the ford dodge chevy thing... there is something else that will influence me on that I'm a "right to work" kind of a guy. ;) ;)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:26

Dude! Eat a Snicker's...

Good one

Will clarify-
I will not buy a ford, dodge or chevy just because it's a ford, dodge or a chevy. It makes more sense go off the specs fitting your purposes. Just like the last scope I bought it fit nicely in what I wanted size, weight, budget, etc. I could care less on the brand when I think about it - even the dreaded "L" brand its not about the brand I am draw'n to their type of specs and their product has worked wonderfully for me in the past to present. Just like the new brand of scope I bought recently their CS has been above expectation. If it works great in the field(I am sure it will... it works great for others no reason to believe it will be any different in my case) I will be a happy camper.

Now on the ford dodge chevy thing... there is something else that will influence me on that I'm a "right to work" kind of a guy. ;) ;)

Riflescopes...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Cope6.5/284 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cope6.5/284 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:31
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a grocery store, not a government agency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:33
I am very brand loyal...Pretty much anybody can finger me as a pimp for SS scopes! But that is because they offer, to me anyway, an incredible bargain as far as features to dollars. But this is simple, you own both scopes, mount them up and compare them side by side. Take them out in the area you are going to be hunting in. Look through both scopes. BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF! And decide which one does a better job for you!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:36

I am very brand loyal...Pretty much anybody can finger me as a pimp for SS scopes! But that is because they offer, to me anyway, an incredible bargain as far as features to dollars. But this is simple, you own both scopes, mount them up and compare them side by side. Take them out in the area you are going to be hunting in. Look through both scopes. BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF! And decide which one does a better job for you!!

THAT is some of the best advice I've heard in a long time...

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 09:52

Why didn't someone say that to began with?? Like - the guy in the magazine is full of bull!!!???

I will do that... where do I start?? I am not sure what I am looking for? The variable is the better scope I know that... I have no testing equipment.
I throw a scope on a rifle and go hunting - if gives me problems I don't like it - if it gives me no problems I like it. No matter the brand.
That is my testing. I must need to do something else to keep people from being pissed at me??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/03/2012 at 10:06
You have eyeballs right? I doubt with the magnifications being discussed here that mirage is going to be a problem anyway. It has been my experience that mirage, which by the way is very prevalent here in AZ, isn't a concern until you get into mags over 15x. But which scope allows you to be faster on target? Which one allows for a better sight picture? Which one is prettier? Hell I don't know... Which one works the best?

One thing I know is I bought a range finder last year. I paid $180 for it, and it ranges reliably out to 600 yards. As far a RF goes it is fantastic for the price...But after finding something in my binos that I want to know how far away it is, the glass irritates the beejeezus out of me! Glass quality is important, to me anyway. When I look through my bino's or my scope, I smile! Not so much with my RF.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic