OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

compact 30mm scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compact 30mm scope
    Posted: July/31/2012 at 18:10
I'm shopping for a compact scope to mount on my Ruger Gunsite Scout, but I don't want a scout scope! At this time I have 1" tube scopes Leupold VX-II 1-4x, VX-III 1.5-5x, Bushnell Scopechief 1.5-4.5x, and Nikon Slughunter 1.65-5x. To be brutally honest, the 30+ year old Scopechief has the brightest, clearest optics, most magnification, and widest field of view. It will remain where it is....

I'm looking for MORE than the VX-III 1.5-5x offers. At the top of the list at this point is the VX-6 1-6x. The yet unavailable SWFA 1-6x is appealing in that I have experience with SWFA scopes already. My 6x SS is incredible. I've not been able to look through a Weaver 30mm Super Slam 1-5x Dangerous Game or Nikon African 1-4x. None of these are inexpensive, and I prefer 5-6x as maximum magnification.

In that I'm getting older, I'm getting fussier about optics. This scope will get used, and will replace the VX-III 1.5-5x already mounted there. I'll move it to another rifle, and the Nikon 1.65-5x may find a new owner.

Other suggestions and opinions would be appreciated! The SWFA 1-6x is gonna be at the top of my price range.
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 20:47
I should have also mentioned that some of the reticles offered are not what I'm looking for. Duplex, German #4, mildot, are fine. Some of the illuminated donuts, caliber specific, and other "busy" or oddities are not desired.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 21:47
Welcome to OT excess!

If by "want more," you mean better image quality, how about....

http://www.samplelist.com/Swarovski-125-4x24-Professional-Hunter-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P57669.aspx

or...

http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-SS-1-4x24-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P57526.aspx

or...

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-15-6x42-Diavari-VMV-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-C-P54168.aspx

or...

http://www.samplelist.com/Zeiss-2-8x42-Conquest-Duralyt-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P56928.aspx

These are all in the ballpark of the SS1-6X price or less, yet by virtue of the fact they're SampleList items, they're priced substantially less than original retail.

Or, waiting for the SS1-6X to be available ain't a bad plan either.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2012 at 05:20
I have a Nikon Monarch Gold 1 1/2 - 6 X -42 30mm and I'm real pleased with it.

Peddler Yippee
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2012 at 16:45
Well the Swarovski 1.25-4x24 is tempting. If I weren't concerned about size I would just buy another SWFA 6x42 and be done with it, so the scopes with 42mm objectives aren't even a consideration.

Its not just about image quality. Brightness, eye relief and field of view are all considerations.

Does anyone have an idea as to when the SWFA 1-6x will be available? Customer Service apparently doesn't know.
priler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2012 at 17:00
  if you like the leupold vx-6 1-6x24,you should also consider the sightron Slll 1-7x24 w/german #4. i have one and like it alot,the ele/win adjustments are very precise,glass is great,awesome zoom power,true 1x,lifetime warranty and i've seen them for $250 less than the illuminated german #4 version of the leupy.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2012 at 17:15
Wow, I did not know sightron makes a 1-7x.  That looks pretty neat.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 17:15
I stopped by a local shop today that has a pretty good selection. They had, and I was able to compare the Leupold VX-6 1-6x duplex, Leupold VX-R 1-4x, Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x, Burris 1-4x MTAC, Vortex Razor 1-4x, and Weaver 1.5-6x32 (Kaspa Extreme Tactical). I was only able to look through them in the building, but got a pretty good idea. Keep in mind that I have hunting/tactical use in mind, so everything is a compromise.

The Weaver was awful, IMO. I couldn't get it focused for my eyes, the reticle was very fine and hard to see. The Burris had a reticle that seemed useless to me. I have a VX-III 1.5-5, so its a known quantity, but this time I got to compare it side by side with the VX-R Patrol and VX-6 1-6x. The VX-R Patrol is 1.25-4x with an interesting (busy) reticle with a GREEN fire dot in the center(FireDot SPR). I think it odd that the 30mm tube scope has a 20mm objective, so what is the advantage over a 1" tube with 20mm objective? The VX-6 has the extra magnification and a bright, friendly eye box, and 24mm objective.

The Vortex Razor was the most $ at $1200+ and had the EBR-556 reticle. It was bright and sharp, but seemed to have a noticably narrower field of view at 4x vs the Leupold at 6x. THAT was a surprise!

I'm wanting a 30mm tube "compact", and of these I preferred the VX-6. Mildots or even the FireDot SPR reticle would make it more appealing.

Does anyone know what the distances are between the markings on the VX-R Patrol FireDot SPR reticle? I thought I saw a reference to 2.5mil, but that seems ridiculous. That would translate into 9moa for each.

338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 17:51
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Wow, I did not know sightron makes a 1-7x.  That looks pretty neat.  

It is a neat concept I hope to have one that is a good representation of Sightron's abilities.
No one
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic