OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR Tactical Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR Tactical Scopes
    Posted: July/31/2012 at 10:38
Working on a short list of scopes to put on my LR-308.  Budget is $1500.  I'm looking for a scope with a 3X low end, FFP with mil/mil adjustments.  Illumination is a plus but not a must have.  Scope will be mounted in an Aadmount.

Came across an opportunity to pick up a IOR 3-18x42 or 3.5-18x50 scope well below MAP.  Both are FFP and can be purchased with either their MP-8 or X-1 reticle.

I have no experience with IOR but heard good things about the optics plus have read the article on OpticsThoughts.  I have also seen posts on OT about customer service being an issue since it comes from Romania.

Scopes on my short list include

Premier Light Tactical 3-15x50 (used one)
Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50

Agree the Premier is the better scope but finding a used one in my price point may take some time (missed the one on the Sample List).

Welcome any thoughts/experiences with the IOR models above.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 10:54
A fellow Marine, always a welcome sight.

IOR has been making the 3-18 for several years now, they had a few hiccups with the first release (I had one of the first year scopes) but seem to have smoothed out the kinks.  The scopes have great glass, the MP-8 reticle is among my favorites, and their build quality has been pretty good.

The downside is that customer service can be spotty, they are a small operation here in the states and if your scope has to ship overseas for repair, it can be a lengthy process.  That said, most I have heard who had problems just got a new scope, no repair, no delay.

Mine was the 3-18x42 and I liked it.  It did tunnel some at the bottom end (which bugs the hell out of me.)

On the Premier, the LT is fantastic scope, great glass, great build quality, perfect feature set, it would be worth waiting a little longer to buy - comparing the IOR to the Premier.

Finally, the Bushnell 3-5-21: I have seen one but never used one.  It looked nice for the price, but I cannot speak to real-world use. At that price point, it might be worth taking a chance on.

Hope it helps.  The SS 5-20 is a great scope, but a low end of 5X is a little higher than I prefer, if that is your reason for not adding it to the list.  Glass is great, as is adjustment range.

Lastly, you might look into used Nightforce.

One last thought: do you have the addmount already?  Your list includes a mix of several tube diameters.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 10:56
I have had 8 different IORs, 4 of the 3-18s.  I had to keep sending those models back for problems.  The glass in IORs is very good.  The 3-18x tunnels very badly, so you gain no FOV once you get below 4.5x.  So FOV wise it will not be much different than the SS 5-20x.  The two 2.5-10x's I had and the 6-24x I had both tunneled badly as well.  The tunneling is a real turn off for me.   

I still have one IOR, a fixed 4x tactical model on an AR.  It has been an extremely good scopes, well over 10,000 rounds with it.  It just always works and always does what I need. 

I still like IORs, they have great features and a good value IMO. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have had 8 different IORs, 4 of the 3-18s.  I had to keep sending those models back for problems.  

What manner of problems, and which generation of 3-18?  For clarity.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 11:29
2 were SFP, on the 3rd one they let me trade up to the Snipers Hide edition.  Issues were lubrication getting on the glass on the inerds, black specs on the glass that would not go away.  The 4th one was a gen 3 I believe.  It worked fine for me, I ended up selling it when I got the SS 5-20x.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 11:40
I forgot this, the first Snipers Hide edition I had also had an issue with the windage.  When zeroed on my gun it was almost all the way to the one side.  Only had a mil or two of windage left over.  

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 13:34
Rancid/Supertool:  Appreciate the comments.  Your experiences definitely give me pause.  Tunneling on the low end will bother me as well and supertool's experience doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

The SS 5-20 is still on my short list but for another rifle where the low end mag is not as big of a deal.

Premier definitely tops my list and the weight is a major factor.  Just have to be patient for another one to get posted on the Samplelist or have a few more bake sales/car washes to increase the budget.

Semper Fi.  Notice of few of us running around on this forum
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 13:46
If you want 3x without tunneling than neither one of the IORs you mention will work.  3.5-18x50 IOR tunnels a bit less than the 3-18x42, but is still does.

If you want 3x without tunneling in an FFP scope, you should either save up for the Premier LT (or keep looking for a used one) or consider the Weaver 3-15x50 which is not as good optically as the stuff you are looking at, but is still very decent.  Or you could always spend even more money on a March 3-14x42FFP.

Or you could put some sort of a placeholder scope on the rifle and wait until there are more options (or until you have enough money for the Premier LT).

I used to have a 1st gen IOR 3-18x42 and it worked great for years.  It finally died last year and IOR replaced it with a Gen 4 version.  It looked quite good, but I sold it since I was awash in tactical scopes at the time and I did not feel like having enough scope sit on a shelf collect dust.

ILya
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 14:12
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

...Or you could always spend even more money on a March 3-14x42FFP.

I've read yours and other reviews on the March.  Something to strive for but high end optics are like high end 1911s.  They are a curse and a blessing.  Once you've owned one, it is almost impossible to go back.

For now, I'll stick with the Premier.  I have a Nikon 2.5-10 Tactical with a Nikoplex reticle on my LR-308.  Not ideal but works.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 15:16
I doubt you'll be disappointed in a Premier LT.

Koshkin really knows his stuff, if he recommend it, that carries significant weight with me.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 15:50
Me too.  Just wish he'd endorse some less expensive stuff for us mere mortals.  Got me to look at the Weaver though.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 15:55
BTW:  Anyone running the IOR Pitbull?  The 1X:4X configuration is interesting.  Handled one the other day and first I've handled that does either 1x or 4x.  Anything in between is out of focus.

Using a one piece mount option seems out of the question.  Guess they are trying to complete with the ELCAN Spectre but not really sure what advantages it has over a SS 1-4x.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 16:15
I missed the point of that optic, haven't used one, don't really see the advantage.

If you look on Koshkin's page (in signature), there are  reviews of less expensive optics, and there are great options for less money, but you give up something to save money.

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 16:55
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

If you look on Koshkin's page (in signature), there are  reviews of less expensive optics, and there are great options for less money, but you give up something to save money.

He does a good job covering the broad spectrum.  Liked his article on the mid-range tactical scopes series and looking forward to Part II.

I've come to value the opinions and recommendations of those on this forum.  Compromises are a reality but at least you are going in with both eyes open.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 17:04
There is the option of just getting an SS 3-9x for now.  SWFA has hinted toward a SS scope in the 3-12,15x range or 4-16x range.  I dare bet that will be coming down the pipeline at some point.

In reality the 3-9x would do all you need.  At times it is nice to have more mag, but at 3-9x is not bad.

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 17:36
It would be an easy decision if SWFA had the 3-15X scope on the street.

As far as the 3-9x, by all accounts it is a great scope for that price but not sure if it is old eyes or quality of the scopes I was using, but find myself gravitating towards a higher top end in magnification.

At the price, definite contender for a temporary fix until I buy the Premier Light Tactial.  Always something I can mount a quality 3-9x scope on.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 19:58
The 3-18's I had began tunneling around 3.8X IIRC.  So they did tunnel and they did gyp you out of some FOV, but they still provided a substantially larger FOV than a 5X scope.  I wouldn't cross them off the list for that reason.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2012 at 09:09
Thanks Jon.  I'm fortunate that a friend is an IOR sales rep so I'll have the opportunity to check on the tunneling.

Connection may prove helpful if I have issues.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2012 at 10:15
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

BTW:  Anyone running the IOR Pitbull?  The 1X:4X configuration is interesting.  Handled one the other day and first I've handled that does either 1x or 4x.  Anything in between is out of focus.

Using a one piece mount option seems out of the question.  Guess they are trying to complete with the ELCAN Spectre but not really sure what advantages it has over a SS 1-4x.

Current generation Pitbull is a pretty decent optic, but I never properly tested it.  I think the magnification ring they use for going from 1x to 4x is a little slower than the leve on the Elcan, but the price is much cheaper too.  Pitbull's advantage is that it is very compact and offers very wide FOV. 

Also, I find the optic itself a bit heavy.  

Then again, it is a fair bit cheaper than the Elcan.

One IOR scope I really like that does not get much publicity is the 3x25.  Hang a iniature red dot on it and you've got a pretty nice 1x/3x sight.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic