OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope a 10/22 target

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope a 10/22 target
    Posted: July/30/2012 at 16:25
All right guys I need some more advice for scoping my ruger 10/22 target. Right now it has a SI 3-9x40 and I want to put something nicer on it.

I would like to be able to shoot from 25 out to 100 yds. Right now I'm thinking a variable objective or side focus, and either target turrets or an reticle to use for hold over. I'm not sure exactly how much a .22 drops at 100 with a 25 yd zero buy it's a bunch.

I've thought of the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7 but there isn't a way to compensate for bullet drop, same goes with the Weaver or Leupold rimfire 2-7's.  What are other guys using? This will primarily be a target plinker and maybe a ground squirrel getter.

Any suggestions or thougts would be appreciated. I have also thougth of the BSA but am a little skeptical of reliability. I would like to stay under $250 or I would look at the SII big sky series.

thanks
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 16:39
SWFA SS 6x.  That will be my target 10/22 scope someday.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 16:55
From 25 yrd zero to 100 yds drop is about 12 inches.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 17:32
Thanks for the info so far. Does the 6x have a zero stop of any sort, or do you have to count the clicks up and down?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 17:34
You have to count them up and down, but they are target turrets so it is easy to keep track of where you are.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 20:45
I use a Weaver V24 6-24x42 on one of my custom 10/22s and have one set aside for another that I'm working on. If that's too much magnification then consider a V16 4-16x42.

NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 20:52
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I use a Weaver V24 6-24x42 on one of my custom 10/22s and have one set aside for another that I'm working on. If that's too much magnification then consider a V16 4-16x42.

That's a nice looking rifle, I'll look into the V16. Any idea of what kind of accuracy I should be getting out of my 10/22 target and what ammo should I try. Kind of off topic, but all relevant to making this thing a shooter.

Thanks
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 22:15
Originally posted by mil169 mil169 wrote:

That's a nice looking rifle, I'll look into the V16. Any idea of what kind of accuracy I should be getting out of my 10/22 target and what ammo should I try. Kind of off topic, but all relevant to making this thing a shooter.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years the main difference between the carbine and the Target model is the outside diameter of the barrel and not a lot else. The last time I looked into it they shared the same chamber dimensions etc and I never could get better than 1" with match ammo at 50m out of mine (see photo), 1-1/2 with bulk ammo. That's plenty good enough for terrorizing squirrels and soda cans or Sunday afternoon at the range. Of course yours may do better than mine did.

The question is just how crazy do you want to get about accuracy Big Grin? I ask because you can turn a 10/22 into a match capable tack driver but it takes money and patience. But whether she's going to be a squirrel assassin or a future match winner the place to start is the trigger. Stock they run about 7lbs and you'll want to bring that way down. To stay safe my rule of thumb for field carry is no lower than 3-1/2lbs. On the other hand for target shooting 2-2.5lbs or so is really sweet. You can lighten it up to 2-1/2lbs yourself with a $30 Volquartsen hammer kit or send it out to be fine tuned by Clark Custom or Brimstone for $70-85. I've had Clark do 2 of my 10/22s and they do a nice job. My experience with Brimstone is limited to a really nice trigger job on one of my Mini-14s but they have a great reputation for their 10/22 work. Neither approach the perfection of a replacement Kidd 2-stage trigger assembly but their trigger jobs are 1/4 the price of a Kidd trigger assembly and are plenty good enough for 99% of us and much better than the Hammer kits.

The next step up is switching the barrel out for a $150 Green Mountain which with match ammo it likes should be capable 1 MOA or less if you do your part. The key difference between the stock barrel and an aftermarket barrel starts with the tighter Bentz chamber. What you lose with a Bentz chamber is the ability to use hyper-velocity ammo like Stingers. High velocity is fine (like Mini-Mags) but not Stingers. Just as an FYI there are better barrels than GM barrels (like Kidd and Volquartsen) but they cost twice as much and not many of us will ever shoot anywhere near well enough to notice the accuracy difference.

Here is the scoop on rimfire ammo... there will be one brand and model that your barrel likes best. The expensive thing is figuring out which that is and there is no way to know in advance. Two barrels made in the same factory on the same day may have different tastes in ammo and the only way to find what it likes is trial and error. The usual starting point is Wolf Match at about $6/50rds but don't mistake it for the crappy Russian centerfire stuff. Wolf Rimfire match is seriously good ammo. The way that match shooters figure out what to feed their 22s is to assemble 50rds each of 6-7 flavors of match ammo and test for the tightest group cleaning between each flavor.

Finally you'll want to unlearn one of your best habits. 22s shoot straighter with a dirty barrel. Yes I'm serious. Wipe the receiver down and lube the bolt regularly but for maximum accuracy only clean the barrel every 500-1000rds.  I use Tipton rods with short pistol length brushes and a Dewey bore guide to protect the crown of the barrel from damage. 

This is my factory target rifle. It was part of a special run made by Ruger that came with the Team USA stock.
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 23:42

Thanks for the info so far. Does the 6x have a zero stop of any sort, or do you have to count the clicks up and down?

You can reset the knobs to zero. It is not a zero stop, but you will not have to count clicks just remember if you went over one revolution.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 10:47
What does the Weaver V series use for turrets? Are they easy to dial in for bullet drop? I want to be able to zero at 25 and then dial in the zero for 50 and 100. Is this stupid, or how do other people set up their .22's.
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 13:04

What does the Weaver V series use for turrets? Are they easy to dial in for bullet drop? I want to be able to zero at 25 and then dial in the zero for 50 and 100. Is this stupid, or how do other people set up their .22's.

Low hunting turrets. I'm not sure what you can get of that price and quality with target turrets. It's not something I worry about because I shot targets at a consistent 50yds.

mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 13:48
I need to just get out and shoot it, but could you give me roughly what the impact differance would be at 25 and 100 if I zeroed at 50.

sorry to be a pain.

thanks
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 14:29

I need to just get out and shoot it, but could you give me roughly what the impact differance would be at 25 and 100 if I zeroed at 50.

sorry to be a pain.

thanks

No problem. For my Volquartsen I go up 6MOA from 50yds to 100yds. I think I go up about 2MOA from 25yds to 50yds, but I do not remember for sure.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 18:26
Sightron 4-16x42 SII Riflescope Plex Sightron 4-16x42 SII Riflescope
Stock # - SII416X42
  • Matte
  • Plex
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
  • Target Knobs
$365.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl04_Price_VS value=Lkts7rkEgqnV86VnNqs1eFD6AH2+m4hw0Ww7eX5588ipd02DSUhQc5bKId9L6fQL = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl04$Price$VS>
Add Sightron 4-16x42 SII Riflescope to Cart
More Details » < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl04_Add2Cart_VS value=/7fVqFg1lJzrI4LAaNCiDb6IkXO6XrW+rfomkT6kxJJontEnnj00frVOWwxQQXZp = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl04$Add2Cart$VS>
Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849408
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$294.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl09_Price_VS value=X3qxGN0FxE8VB6pOaS0QA5TTCkehYLpmraL1jeTWKF8q2VE30hOoQI87dKgwhfMH = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl09$Price$VS>
Add Weaver 4-16x42 Classic V Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl09_Add2Cart_KitComponent_1264_0 = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl09$Add2Cart$KitComponent_1264$0>
I guess these would be the two front funners. Still 50 to $100 over budget, but that always seems to be the case for me.  I haven't seen any of these on the sample list either, damn, I wish I had a coupon.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 19:36
sholling- what ring and base combo are you using on the Team USA 10/22? Is it available in matte black?
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 21:37

sholling- what ring and base combo are you using on the Team USA 10/22? Is it available in matte black?

It's a DNZ (formerly known as Dead-Nutz) one piece and yes it's available in black. They're rock solid mounts but work best with fairly long scopes. I have a black DNZ on one of my Tikkas.

mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 22:48
thanks man- I've seen those before just didn't recognize it.  Any thoughts on the sightron I have listed, and what scope is the on USA, I can't quite make it out.

Never mind-figured it out:
Mueller 8.5-25x50 Eraticator Riflescope Illuminated Micro-Fine Dot Mueller 8.5-25x50 Eraticator Riflescope
Stock # - MU852550IGRS
  • Silver
  • Illuminated Micro-Fine Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
$239.95 < id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl02_Price_VS value=lW0TVuV9TyQvS6V0qXwxpVwsUh5l92hi6ulWmCVjN5DUJUQiNOw8aZhEmvI/RrXD = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl02$Price$VS>
Add Mueller 8.5-25x50 Eraticator Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
< id=ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl02_Add2Cart_KitComponent_753_0 = name=ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl02$Add2Cart$KitComponent_753$0>

Edited by mil169 - July/31/2012 at 22:54
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/31/2012 at 23:07
I haven't spent a lot of time with Sightrons so I'll leave that to others. The scope on the Team USA is a Mueller Eraticator. It's not a bad scope but I'm not super fond of it because of the somewhat tight eyebox. But honestly I rarely shoot that rifle because it's just not all that accurate. One of these days I'll get around to doing some mods to tighten up the groups but I already have a half dozen customs plus a new one I'm building from scratch with 100% aftermarket parts, but for now it just looks pretty in the safe. 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2012 at 07:44
Originally posted by sholling sholling wrote:

I haven't spent a lot of time with Sightrons so I'll leave that to others. The scope on the Team USA is a Mueller Eraticator. It's not a bad scope but I'm not super fond of it because of the somewhat tight eyebox. But honestly I rarely shoot that rifle because it's just not all that accurate. One of these days I'll get around to doing some mods to tighten up the groups but I already have a half dozen customs plus a new one I'm building from scratch with 100% aftermarket parts, but for now it just looks pretty in the safe. 

Have you used the Nikon P-22 scopes?  I am thinking of replacing my BSA Sweet 22... I need a scope to shoot with the 338 at 200 yards... BSA gets the honors...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2012 at 09:27
No, I looked through the P-223 at the local shooting fair but have not laid hands on the P-22.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic