OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope suggestions
    Posted: July/27/2012 at 07:34
I'm shopping for a scope for my AR. This will be my first scope purchase, so I'm looking for some help/suggestions. My criteria is:

1) Must be a shorter scope. I'd like to stay under 11", and would rather stay around 9-10", which seems near impossible in my price range.
2) Variable power. Would like high power to be 5+.
3) Would like a BDC recticle, or something that can be used as such.
4) Illumination would be nice for night shooting, but is not a must. I would rather spend the money on better optical quality than this feature.
5) would like to stay around $250, and definitely not over $300. I know this is really cheap as far as the world of optics goes, but that's all I have to work with right now. I will upgrade in a year or 2 when I have the money to do so.

Will be doing some plinking, but will mostly be used for shooting beavers, yotes, and other varmints out to about 300yds.

Any suggestions??
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2012 at 07:52
Take a look at the Leatherwood 14CMR.  I have one on CZ550 375H&H Magnum and really like it.  Try the sample list... occasionally there is one there.  The glass is good, the reticle is very good, it has a lot of adjustment.  Holds up to the 375 H&H.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2012 at 08:50
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2012 at 08:53
Nikon's M-223 line in either 1-4x or 2-8x may be ones to consider. 

The point blank reticle on the 1-4x isn't ideal.  Nothing more than their duplex reticle with a dot.

2-8X can be had with their BDC 600 reticle.

Millet has similar offerings and Burris is another option.  Burris MTAC line has their CQ 5.56 reticle but one listed on the Samplelist is going for $319.

There is also a Falcon Menace 1.5-5 scope with their LP20 reticle that would work for you.  I have no experience with Falcon scopes but should work for your application.

stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2012 at 08:59
Originally posted by Marine24 Marine24 wrote:

Nikon's M-223 line in either 1-4x or 2-8x may be ones to consider. 

The point blank reticle on the 1-4x isn't ideal.  Nothing more than their duplex reticle with a dot.

2-8X can be had with their BDC 600 reticle.

Millet has similar offerings and Burris is another option.  Burris MTAC line has their CQ 5.56 reticle but one listed on the Samplelist is going for $319.

There is also a Falcon Menace 1.5-5 scope with their LP20 reticle that would work for you.  I have no experience with Falcon scopes but should work for your application.

if you could go a little over the 300 mark the Burris MTAC would be a good value buy.
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2012 at 09:59
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Take a look at the Leatherwood 14CMR.  I have one on CZ550 375H&H Magnum and really like it.  Try the sample list... occasionally there is one there.  The glass is good, the reticle is very good, it has a lot of adjustment.  Holds up to the 375 H&H.

KB, great suggestion, this is one of the most under rated scopes out there.  This is very clear, and every aspect works great.

I still think that the SS 1-4 is the best though.
DocEvans View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2012 at 22:28
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. All look like they would be good, just worried about hitting a smaller moving target at 300 yds with the ones that max out at 4x. Not that 5x is a whole lot more, but I'm really liking the Falcon. The only thing holding me back is the lack of recent reviews. I've found several from 2008, but it looks like they've made several changes to it since then. Anyone have any experience with this scope? I'm also very interested in the vortex diamondback, and burris timberline. If you had to choose between those 3, which would it be?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 12:49
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

KB, great suggestion, this is one of the most under rated scopes out there.  This is very clear, and every aspect works great.

I still think that the SS 1-4 is the best though.

But it doesn't meet the OP's stated criteria for overall length, magnification, or price.

I don't know of any scope available that combines sub 11" length, at least 5X on the top end, a BDC reticle, and sub $300 price except for the aforementioned Falcon Menace 1-5X30, Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5X32, and Burris Timberline 3-9X32.  I have zero experience with Falcon optics, so I can neither recommend nor criticize it; I'm merely looking at specs.  I don't have experience with the Burris Timberline scopes either, however I was very disappointed in the optical performance of previous Burris compact series scopes like the Ultra Mags, and I'm not a fan of the Ballistic Plex reticle at all.  I have been impressed with Vortex scopes within their respective price points, and Vortex really stands behind their products, so minus any exerience with Falcon optics, I'd be inclined to go with the Vortex among those 3 choices.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 13:58

CMR is within 6% of the suggested price and  " would like high power to be 5+"  is not a requirement.  It is 10.2inches, weighs about a pound, has excellent illiumination... well suited for lowlight and dark applications, BDC reticle.  It is one of the best values on the market...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 16:29
Originally posted by DocEvans DocEvans wrote:

5) would like to stay around $250, and definitely not over $300. 

$300 was his max upper limit, and he was targeting $250.  On the length, the first SWFA link says it's 10.2" long, the rest say 11.29".  I clicked on the 11.29" ones first.  Since you own one, I assume the 11.29" spec is a typo.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 17:58
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

$300 was his max upper limit, and he was targeting $250.  On the length, the first SWFA link says it's 10.2" long, the rest say 11.29".  I clicked on the 11.29" ones first.  Since you own one, I assume the 11.29" spec is a typo.

+Sorry... $17.95 difference is no difference to me...

Mine is EXACTLY 10.2inches, I've checked before, but JUST FOR YOU, Ted, I checked again.  And, you can get the scope with the Burris P.E.P.R. mount for $330.00(10% more), and it STILL has all the features he asked for... he still has to mount it... 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 18:54
You know me Im all about the fixed 6x42 Super Sniper its just under $300 but longer than he wants and not a variable still its a solid scope I love mine.
There are some used ones on samplelist.com also.
SPL15346 SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view SS6X42, Matte, Mil-Dot, 30mm
$249.95
SPL16197 SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view SS6X42, Matte, Mil-Dot, 30mm
$249.95
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 19:36

Mine is EXACTLY 10.2inches, I've checked before, but JUST FOR YOU, Ted, I checked again.  And, you can get the scope with the Burris P.E.P.R. mount for $330.00(10% more), and it STILL has all the features he asked for... he still has to mount it... 

No need for the sarcasm and all caps, Dan.  I merely pointed out for the sake of the OP that the scope doesn't meet his listed requirements, which is a statement of fact.  He said "definitely not over $300," and emphasized that he was really trying to stay within $250.  Sure, if that was the only deviation from his requirements, I could see where that might be taken into consideration in lieu of its adherence to his other requirements, but that wasn't the only deviation from his list.  On the length, I stated that the link I opened had incorrect specs.  I had no cause to doubt those specs.  Once you said it was 10.2", I looked again, and noticed that the first of the 3 listings on the page said 10.2 and stated such.  On the power, he said "5+" on the upper end.  That tells me that he really wants more than 5X, but is wiling to settle for 5X to get the other features he wants.  Otherwise, why would he put the "+" after 5X if he was willing to settle for 4X?  Most likely, he's discovered he'll have a difficult time staying within his price and/or overall length limits by going over 5X.  Regardless, it's a moot point since he clarified in a follow-up post that he wants more than 4X.  So, you see, it does not "have all the features he asked for," but I guess 2 out of 4 ain't bad.  Geez... lighten up, brother!
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 20:06

No need for the sarcasm and all caps, Dan.  I merely pointed out for the sake of the OP that the scope doesn't meet his listed requirements, which is a statement of fact.  He said "definitely not over $300," and emphasized that he was really trying to stay within $250.  Sure, if that was the only deviation from his requirements, I could see where that might be taken into consideration in lieu of its adherence to his other requirements, but that wasn't the only deviation from his list.  On the length, I stated that the link I opened had incorrect specs.  I had no cause to doubt those specs.  Once you said it was 10.2", I looked again, and noticed that the first of the 3 listings on the page said 10.2 and stated such.  On the power, he said "5+" on the upper end.  That tells me that he really wants more than 5X, but is wiling to settle for 5X to get the other features he wants.  Otherwise, why would he put the "+" after 5X if he was willing to settle for 4X?  Most likely, he's discovered he'll have a difficult time staying within his price and/or overall length limits by going over 5X.  Regardless, it's a moot point since he clarified in a follow-up post that he wants more than 4X.  So, you see, it does not "have all the features he asked for," but I guess 2 out of 4 ain't bad.  Geez... lighten up, brother!
I guess it all depends on what you believe a "requirement" is...  He said he would like 5x +, didn't say he HAD to have it.  In a contract "would like to have" is a goal, not a requirement...

As for lightening up... I've never been heavy...

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 21:14

I guess it all depends on what you believe a "requirement" is...  He said he would like 5x +, didn't say he HAD to have it.  In a contract "would like to have" is a goal, not a requirement...

Well, I can only go on what he said and assume he meant what he said.  If you're going to interpret the use of the word "like" as an optional goal, then you could recommend virtually any scope, since he used "like" in conjunction with all his listed requirements.

But again, he did clarify he wanted more than 4X in his follow-up post, so he pretty much settled the issue that "5X+" was, in fact, a requirement.

It's all good.
Ted

lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 07:53
I know you had some very specifics wants, but as already mentioned i would look closely at samplelist.com. There are some very nice scopes on there in your budget but they will exceed your length requirements and have no illumination. Below are a few i would consider. 

Good luck in your search, let us know what you decide on. 
DocEvans View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 07:37
Looks like its coming down to the falcon menace on the sample list for $199 or a barely used vortex viper 2-7x with PEPR mount for $235. I have never been this indecisive about anything, so someone please pick one for me haha. The falcon seems to fit my specs the best, but that viper with mount seems like a great deal.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 10:30
Falcon's have a very poor reputation, while Vortex's is stellar! If either scope should fail, I would rather deal with Vortex than Falcon. Just my.02.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 10:46
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Falcon's have a very poor reputation, while Vortex's is stellar! If either scope should fail, I would rather deal with Vortex than Falcon. Just my.02.

+1

Don't know about Falcon, but I do have first hand experience with Vortex's first-class customer support.
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 12:16
Get the Viper.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic