OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 12X vs Vortex Vipper PST 4-16X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 12X vs Vortex Vipper PST 4-16X
    Posted: July/26/2012 at 11:33
i had just bought the new mil/mil 12X SS last month. no complaints with it so far. im liking the new reticle a lot more compared to the old mil dot!
the other day i got offered a NIB 4-16X Viper PST(2nd focal plain) at the price of $400! thats a pretty good deal!
should i sell the new SS 12X and get the Viper PST? i bought the SS for a long range scope that i knew was reliable. the viper being variable  4-16X would be a nice extra.
will be glass be better in the Viper? are they as reliable on tracking as the SS?

7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2012 at 11:59
i guess i should add that this will be going on a 338edge build and will be dialed out to a mile on occasions.  i have a 20 moa base on the rifle.

4-16 viper has 75moa adjustment and 20moa in the reticle(need 60moa to get to a mile)

12X SS is set up in mils and ive dialed the older models out that far already

i think either scope will get me to a mile but im thinkin the SS will have room for more...
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2012 at 13:48
If the Viper has 75MOA that translates into roughly in the mid to upper 30s for remaining adjustment. Could be a little less or a little more. The 75MOA is total adjustment from top to bottom. So with your 20 MOA base you are going to be very likely just short. Plus when you reach the end of adjustment on elevation you are going to lose some of your windage as well.
7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2012 at 13:54
correct, but then you can add another 20moa for then holdover moa reticle.
7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2012 at 14:06
75moa of total travel divided by 2= roughly 35moa of adjustment to use.
then add the 20moa base= which should give me roughly 55moa of adjustment
then add in the fact the scope has 20moa in the reticle- which should give me ball park of 75moa

idk how much ill shoot that far......probably not much but im looking at the extremes of use.
im working on putting up a 1650yard target(measured by google earth). that would require somewhere around 53moa.

just looking for opinions Viper PST vs Super Sniper for long range.
and in the end i might just put my Sightron III 6-24x on it
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2012 at 18:18
I have an original 10X SS and a 4-16 PST SFP.  The PST is the nicer scope optically.  Both are mechanically reliable.

The PST has a nicer click feel, IMO.

$400 is a steal for a PST.

I haven't shot out to a mile with any scope, but I have run to 800 yards ... or so ... with both.
-Matt
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2012 at 19:36
$400 for a PST is great! I love my SS but I wouldn't be able to pass that up for sure.
Old Mil ftw
7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/29/2012 at 21:28
Yeah. I think I'll sell my new SS 12x mil/mil
7wsm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7wsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2012 at 08:39
its up for sale over on long range hunting if anyone is interested.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic