OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield Illuminator HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droptine9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield Illuminator HELP
    Posted: July/22/2012 at 21:52
Just purchased a used gun with a Redfield Illuminator scope. 3x9x42. It has the wide angle eyepeice. I need to find out when and were it was made. Also, it has on the right side of the scope when viewing through it, a yardage marker, starting at 200 and when you turn the power ring, it goes all the way up to 600.
On the left side on the front, it is marked Redfield in a wide oval , and under the left turrett it is marked illuminator
It has 2 horizontal lines above the duplex rectical.
What are they, and how is this scope used. It is an Illuminator, but is it a special model??
Is there a manual available?
Thanks in advance
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2012 at 06:42
Sounds like the same Scope I have on my Weathery Vangard .30-06, I believe the technical term is Redfield Widefied Iluminator with Accutrac. It came standard with (4) different dials for trajectory that was used in conjunction with different calibers/bullet weights. I still have all (4) dials plus a printout of the ammo listed for the A,B,C, & D dial useage.

The upper two lines are used as a rangefinder. The standard is a deer I believe based on an 18" bellt to top of back height. You would crank up the magnification until the two lines framed the height of the deer's body and then read the yardage at the bottom right of the scope. If it indiacated 400 yards, you turn the top dial to 4 - pretty simple. There is a "conversion chart" for different height animals such as elk as well. However, a laser rangefinder would probably be quicker but turning the dial to the correct yardage would be helpful versus using holdover.

What caliber and bullet weight do you intend to use? If you look on the top of the elevation cap there should be a letter stamped into the top out near the edge. What letter do you have?

Tim

Today is your lucky day. Here's a link from ABO that should explain in detail what I just referenced.

Edited by tpcollins - July/23/2012 at 07:09
droptine9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droptine9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2012 at 19:14
It has a small a, and a large C, they are situated right next to each other
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2012 at 07:02
What caliber and bullet weight are you using?
droptine9 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote droptine9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2012 at 17:16
Didn't plan on using it, I plan to sell it.
Thanks for the info
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic