OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Can't get a sharp focus with glasses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerndingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't get a sharp focus with glasses
    Posted: July/21/2012 at 19:58
Hi Guys,
I have a Ziess Conquest 3x9.  I focus it by pointing to the blue sky, adjusting the ring nearest my eye until the reticle is sharp.  If I have my glasses on I can't get a sharp target focus.  With glasses off I can get a sharp target focus (IE. I can plainly see the 1.5mm lines on the target).

Thanks
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2012 at 23:03
Are your glasses bi-focal?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
deerndingo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deerndingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2012 at 23:35
Yes to bifocul.  I move my head around to improve teh focus but teh best I get is out of focus???
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2012 at 07:18
I would suggest looking thru the top only of the lenses and keep adjusting the ring until the reticle is clear. Don't keep looking thru the scope for any length of time - look thru, adjust, if not clear look away, repeat.

I wear progressive lenses and have to tip my head and look thru the upper part for consistantcy. And I have to "lean past" the scope which puts my face to the right of the ocular and then turn my head back to the left to put the center of my right lens behind the middle of the scope. If I just move "to the scope", the left edge of the frame of the right lens gets in the way every time - it could be  just me though.  Good luck. 

Edited by tpcollins - July/22/2012 at 07:24
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2012 at 07:55
Also by moving your head the way you do your also screwing with the Parralex.Might want to think about getting a distance only set of glasses.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2012 at 09:44
I also wear progressive lenses and gave up on the sky set focus simply use a white sheet of poster paper set 50 yards out work through my adjustment in that manner includes using some small print on paper adjusting till it clears, works for me.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2012 at 14:13
Originally posted by deerndingo deerndingo wrote:

Yes to bifocul.  I move my head around to improve teh focus but teh best I get is out of focus???

What part of your bifocals are you looking through when you do this, for distance or close focus area?

For me I use the distance part when shooting and it works fine for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic