OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Questions Regarding Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote double00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions Regarding Scopes
    Posted: July/19/2012 at 10:00

Excellent forum and excellent information.

I am going to purchase a scope for a Cooper rifle - 243 win. Depending on the cartridge, the 243’s MPBR is anywhere from, e.g., 95 BT @ 3100 – 300 yd, 100 SP @ 2960 - 283 yd.

Most of my hunting will be for deer, coyote & other predators, maybe Eastern bear – West TN Appalachian style and possibly some target shooting but nothing serious.

So, I might take a shot at 20 yards to 3 or 400 yards, but 400 would be a stretch.

What power scope do you recommend for my needs and what brand

Based on the 243 win and my shooting distances, do I need things like side focus, adjustable objective, CDS or Rapid Z? Would a Boone & Crockett type system be just as helpful for the distances I am shooting?

I know very little about scopes. What I do know I have picked up in the last few days reading this forum and some websites.

I don’t believe I need a large powerful scope. I am thinking 3.5-10x40, 3-9x40. Do I need more power than that? I do want to be able to see the bullet holes in a 100 yard paper target with the scope I purchase. What in a scope would be helpful for my needs and what don’t I need.

Based on my requirements, I don’t believe I will need to spend much over $600 to $750 for a good scope, but if necessary, I will. I don’t want to purchase the most expensive scope and I don’t want the cheapest either.

RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 10:37
You plan on using a holdover reticle or would you like to dial in your shots? Or both?

The distances your shooting and mainly hunting I would get a scope with nice glass and forget parrallax adjustment. It won't mess you up much at all.

I think a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 or 2.5x10 would work.

If you want to dial in, range estimate, and holdover the SWFA SS 3-9x42 is awesome and in your price range.

I'm sure there's others but these two are first to come to mind.

Edited by RotoReuter_DM - July/19/2012 at 10:46
Old Mil ftw
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 10:38
You are in that sweet spot for optics where you have a unending number of options.

Sounds like you are looking for a BDC typce reticle and not particularly interested in dialling in adjustments.  I'm a big fan of Zeiss's Rapid Z reticle.  I have the Rapid Z 800 on my 308 bolt rifle and it is excellent for hunting.  Hash marks line up very close to the range for my load and more than accurate enough to put a bullet in the kill zone.

.243 Win for bear?  You are a brave man.  I prefer a 45-70s shooting Garrett's 420gr Hammerhead loads.  I really dislike tracking one in the woods.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 11:10
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 11:14
I agree with Marine24 on the bear, don't piss off Yogi!  LOL! 

As for your hunting scope...

http://www.swfa.com/Zeiss-35-10x44-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P8667.aspx 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
double00 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote double00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 11:49
Thanks, all good recommendations.
I wrote West Tn - I meant East TN.
E. Tennessee/Smokey Mountain bears average 225 for males and 125 for females and if required, will have someone around with a larger caliber.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 12:08
Since you are getting a Cooper which is a very nice rifle. I think it deserves some very nice glass and I would go with one of the Swarovski Z3s. Such as

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-10x42-Z3-Riflescope-P40817.aspx

I know it is over your stated budget, but I think it would be well worth it especially in low light conditions.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 15:43
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Since you are getting a Cooper which is a very nice rifle. I think it deserves some very nice glass and I would go with one of the Swarovski Z3s. Such as

I know it is over your stated budget, but I think it would be well worth it especially in low light conditions.

+1...BINGO, we have a winner. The Swaro 3-10 X 42 is what sits on my Cooper. I fully recommend it.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 10:56
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

+1...BINGO, we have a winner. The Swaro 3-10 X 42 is what sits on my Cooper. I fully recommend it.
Agreed,  you spent the funds on a top shelf rifle, might as well put a deserving optic on there.  Swaro!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 11:34
Lots sof good scopes in that range ,that will be a hard decision.  But maybe I'm just too darned old fashioned.  There is no way I'd opt for any sort of adjustable objective... side focus or objective flavor, no turrets, just a good decent plex reticle...no BDC or whatever the maker calls them.  My shots for 50 years have been just like yours...maybe 20 yards and 400 is as far as I am ethically willing to shoot at an unwounded animal.  I practice further than that...you never know, but I don't see me shooting first shot past that.

My choices for a new scope for this fall have been narrowed tro the Leupold VX 2 (either 2-7x or maybe 3-9x), a Leupold VX 3 2.5-8x or a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x.  Mainly because they are all easily available locally for side by side comparisons, and are all three of sufficient quality to meet my requirements.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 12:49
Which Cooper are you getting? Will it be a repeater or a single shot, Wood or composite? I like the style of the Jackson Hunter myself. The sleek line of the VX3 2.5-8 would do you well. The Majority of the Deer shots will be under 50 Yd unless you shoot across the head of a hollow. If you are going after more Varmints rather than Deer the 4.5-14 Zeiss has one of the clearest views for the money if more magnification is desired. If a Ballistic reticle is desired, a Varmint reticle would be a closer match to the .243 than the Boone and Crockett, The Z 600 is nice on the Zeiss in daylight but like most Ballistic reticle's they are more difficult to read in low light conditions. Be sure to post pics when you get your rig setup. I enjoyed the years when I lived a little NE of Knoxville. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic