OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

High Magnification and Mirage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillietimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High Magnification and Mirage
    Posted: July/18/2012 at 08:50
Hello all, I have a question about high magnification and mirage. Can a fixed power 20X scope be used in mirage conditions? Thank you.

Tim
Tim
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 11:37
Tim are you trying to elimainate mirage?

With higher magnification, mirage will be more apparent.

I am just not 100% sure what you are asking, would you mind elaborating more on your post to give us a better idea for the best answer?
phillietimothy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillietimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 12:19
Thanks for replying. If I was using a variable, I could turn down the power to reduce mirage. How do fixed power users deal with mirage? I imagine if you had a 20X fixed power, mirage could be an issue.

Tim
Tim
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 12:26
Tim with a fixed power scope, you can use a sun shade or an ARD and this will help with mirage.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillietimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 12:52
Thanks a lot Skylar. Am I correct to assume that a 10X or 12X, be better than a 20X, in dealing with mirage?

Tim
Tim
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 12:53
From what I have experienced yes.

Less Magnification = Less affect with mirage.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 13:28
How will a sun shade help with mirage??  I could see if it were very long it may help with a bit of the barrel mirage if the barrel was hot, but I don't see how a sun shade will do anything for sun mirage.  A sun shade is to block stray light from coming in from the sides. 

With a 20x mirage can be very bad.  Anything about 12x IMO can show mirage pretty heavily.  A fixed 20x would not be a good choice if you plan on shooting the heat a lot.  The 16x would be better the 12x or 10x even better. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 13:33
Some companies make barrel shields to reduce mirage due to hot barrel; however, there are only 2 cures for mirage on a hot day:
1. Less magnification
2. Wait for cooler weather

I would not recommend a fixed 20X if you have ANY concerns of mirage.

I have shot at/beyond 1000 yards with a fixed 10X, it is workable, and mirage isn't as bad.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 14:31
Mirage may or may not be a problem depending on what you're wanting to do.  Sometimes mirage can actually be an asset, because (as long as it isn't completely obscuring your target) it can help you dope LR wind values by looking at the "flow speed" and apparent angle of heat wave movement.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 14:44
It is a great way to read the wind, but not being able to dial down the mag when you shoot really sucks with smaller targets. 

I think Rancid said it best.  20x would be a bad choice if you are worried about ANY mirage. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 14:58
A fixed 20X has other limitations even without mirage. It's fine if you have a rifle that you want to use in a very narrow range of conditions and don't care about FOV. Just consider whether your willing/able to limit the use of that firearm like that.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillietimothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 15:13
I was thinking that a quality fixed power could be an inexpensive way to try 600 yard F-Class. I simply can't afford a "real" F-Class scope.

Tim
Tim
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 15:26
Any of the SS fixed are as good as it gets in fixed power for the money.
Old Mil ftw
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 17:37
Originally posted by RotoReuter_DM RotoReuter_DM wrote:

Any of the SS fixed are as good as it gets in fixed power for the money.

Yes,I agree. every mode is over built.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 19:57
Originally posted by phillietimothy phillietimothy wrote:

I was thinking that a quality fixed power could be an inexpensive way to try 600 yard F-Class. I simply can't afford a "real" F-Class scope.

Tim
That qualifies as a narrow use. You can always sell the scope off. You might also consider the 16X. For 600 yards, that's plenty of mag.
Reaction time is a factor...
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 22:18
I just picked up a 36x for BR shooting at 500, 750, and 1000 yards.
I have been using 8-32's and even in mirage keep the power up.

For field shooting, give me a variable of around a 5-24 and I am content.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Boblor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boblor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 14:16
I have been using a SS 20x for years shooting Ftr competition out to 1000 yds.  Use the natural mirage to help you dope the wind.  Use a mirage band on you bbl to help avoid the bbl mirage.  20X is about the minimun you want for F class shooting.  You will find the majority are shooting 24X on up.  Used a March X 5-50X the other day, a medium mirage day, 600 yds, used 50X, yea the target was a bit wavvy, just tried to shoot when the mirage was not boiling and when the mirage and flags showed the same direction.
Bob L.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2012 at 14:20
That's a good question supertool, and the answer is (as you are well aware) is that a sunshade won't help one iota with mirage.  All you have to do to verify this is extend the sunshade on your spotter.  In my case a kowa 884.  Set at 20x it doesn't make any difference at all with eliminating mirage.....zero.  

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

How will a sun shade help with mirage??  I could see if it were very long it may help with a bit of the barrel mirage if the barrel was hot, but I don't see how a sun shade will do anything for sun mirage.  A sun shade is to block stray light from coming in from the sides. 

With a 20x mirage can be very bad.  Anything about 12x IMO can show mirage pretty heavily.  A fixed 20x would not be a good choice if you plan on shooting the heat a lot.  The 16x would be better the 12x or 10x even better. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic