OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help...
    Posted: July/17/2012 at 22:16
First two shots with 260 accubonds and H4831 went into the same hole. So far so good,
Third shot went .8" away. OK I can live with that.... Fourth and verifier 3" away. Oh Oh!

To make a long story short loads were

260 AB 112 113 H4831
230 Raptors H4350
270 Hornady H4831
250 TTSX with RL22
300 Sierra BT IMR 7828
300 Sierra BT RL25.

Best group (after the initial group) was 3.5-4" worst was 10" at 100 yds. :x :shock:

This is a 4.5x14x40mm MARK 4 30mm strongest scope they make.

Before this she broke a 3.5x10 VARI x-3
and a 4.5x14x40mm 30mmtube LR VX3

What to do? Called Leupold and they were amazed. The manage said sent the scope back to his attention to analyze it in the impact department.

I had a lead sled before this.   Based on Leupold's recommendation I sold the lead sled. Too much on the scope. They told me to get the Mark 4 toughest scope they make. I did and that is what broke today.  It does have a muzzle brake.  Darn that 378 WBY MAG!

Was thinking on a Nightforce.  Nightforce is great but it looks so out of place on a 8.5 lbs light svelte looking sporter.

Edited by Fotis - July/18/2012 at 20:09
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 00:06
What do you use this rifle for?

You did not mention the caliber.

Is there a specific scope configuration you need for this gun?

ILya
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 11:26

.375 caliber

I'm guessing .378 Weatherby.  If not then a wildcat.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 13:32
What kind of mounts were you using?  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 20:07
378 Weatherby, my long range elk gun,

Krieger barrel Japanese lasermark.  8.5 lbs bare naked.

About the bases and rings  no movement at all. Leupold steel bases with steel QRW rings.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 21:37
Very nice looking rifle... I've been meaning to get one of those...
Put an SS 5-20 on it... problems solved.  
However, I've used a Mark 4 on a Barrett M107... It did everything I wanted/needed.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 21:42
Yup  that is what leupold said.  They test them on their 50 cals.  They also said the scope might be too heavy for that setup....
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 22:04
If you have a heavy recoil rifle I still believe the most durable scope to be a fixed power scope.  I have
 owned several Mk4 scopes and quite a few Super Sniper scopes this would be high on my list:  Plus I believe the size of this will suit that rifle better.
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD10X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
$799.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2012 at 22:05
If you must use a variable I think this would also be a good choice, but I still believe the fixed power scope to be tougher because it has less moving parts.
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 02:52
Anyone have any opinions on the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42? 12 OZ scope....light
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 06:56
The z3 is a fantastic scope, but I believe it's a step in the wrong direction if you intend to put this on the .378.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 07:27
Due to leupold's statement that the Mark 4 was too heavy, I was looking at the lighter ones.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 08:50
If you don't want the SS than take a look at Minox ZA5 6-30x56 @ 20.5 ozs.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by Fotis Fotis wrote:

Due to leupold's statement that the Mark 4 was too heavy, I was looking at the lighter ones.

That's a copout.  First, that certainly isn't the toughest scope they make.  The "real" MK 4's, the original fixed 10X and 16X, were built to be pretty much indestructible, the 4-14 and others were converted hunting scopes.  Yes, they did add an extra erector spring at some point and some other things but they were never built to the same standards.

The new MK 6 and 8's are too new to have much durability history yet but I'll bet if you talk to somebody in their tactical division about those scopes you won't get any of this "too heavy to take recoil" BS.

Weight is only a "problem" for poorly designed/built scopes.  Many things you do to a scope to make it stronger makes it heavier as well.  Yes, a light POS will generally outlast a heavy POS on a hard kicker, but a really strong scope--no matter what it weighs--will have better odds of lasting than either.  If you put a Nightforce, 5-20 SS, any of the various S&B PMII's, etc, on the rifle the overwhelming odds are your problems will be over forever as long as your mounting system is up to snuff. 

On that note, I don't have a lot of faith in the PRW's in hard kicking applications as I've seen the recoil key come loose and get crunched a couple of times.  If those bases can take picatinny rings I'd suggest a more durable set.  Mine won't fit but it looks like Seekins might.  A one-piece rail glued down opens up mounting options and gives much peace of mind.

A light rifle that is extremely hard kicking upon which you wish to mount a heavy long range scope is the hardest application there is for scope mounts.  It's not the rifle to be skimping on them with.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 15:50
...And by any measure, a .378 Wby is a vicious kicking beast that places great demands on scopes and mounts!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 16:41
Originally posted by Fotis Fotis wrote:

A couple of points:
-Scope weight puts all sorts of stress on the mounts.  For a beast like this scope, get high quality mounts.
-A scope is either designed for high recoil applications or it isn't.  You can not judge that by weight of the scope.  Leupold variables are not built especially well for the most part (there are exceptions), so they try to steer you in a different direction.

ILya
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 18:03
I'd listen to ILya, fotis. He's our resident Optic engineer and tells it like it is!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 19:48
Leupold builds their 1.5x5, 1.75x6 and 3x9 in the VX 3 line to take hunting rifle recoil.
Their tactical scopes are also designed to take heavy recoil, vice USMC Scout Snipers with Barrets.
First check out the mounts, I have seen .460 Weatherby's actually flex and bend the mounts.
Check your bedding, is the action moving in the stock or is the barrel moving and hitting the forend?
Check the scope over to see if it is moving in the mounts (Locktite can be your friend here) then check it on a rifle of much lower recoil force to see if it is trashed.
If the scope is trashed or a bad sample send it back and get a new one or ask to be upgraded and offer to pay the difference.
IMHO certain calibers can destroy variable power scopes no matter who makes them. (Nightforce, Hensoldt, S&B and SWFA are exceptions)
If you intend to upgrade ask Leupold to recommend a scope for your rig that will work for long range..they will have something, you may need to talk to an engineer to get the correct info.
Nighforce and others make stout mounts that will take the recoil, you may end up spending $500.00+ on mounts before you find something that can take the recoil.
Leupold makes scopes that work on .338 Lapua and .50 BMG, they should have one that will work on your .378, talk to an engineer and get the straight scoop.
Press on and good luck.
Art
Good day.
Fotis View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fotis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 19:51
I understand.  My initial wish was to keep the rifle as "sporty"as possible, hence the 3.5x10x40.  Lightweight and svelte.  Apparently I have to go heavy robust and bulky to tame this monster.
Well thank you fellas for all your input.  I truly appreciate it
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2012 at 20:25
They all fail at times, including all the euros.  Get a fixed Leupold 4 or 6x and call it good.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic