OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Spotting scope or big eyes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Pedneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spotting scope or big eyes?
    Posted: July/14/2012 at 10:55
Hi all,just joined the forum.
I am considering an "Alpha" spotting scope for long range ground hogs. I currently use a 15X binocular on a tripod.
Will a high grade spotter give me enough of an edge over the bino?
Thanks in advance!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2012 at 11:55
What do you mean by "edge."  You can get a lot more magnification.  I suppose it depends on the distances you will be glassing.  Bins are usually less tiring to glass through over long periods of time.
-Matt
PA Pedneck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Pedneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2012 at 12:16
By edge I mean that I am wondering if the extra magnification is worth the cost in FOV.I guess I could have been more clear in my original post.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Pedneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2012 at 12:17
The distances can be any where between 50 to 1200 yards.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2012 at 09:06
Extra magnification is nice at 1200 yards.

I would use both.
-Matt
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2012 at 18:02
It all depends on your budget...Docter Optic and Kowa make great high powered binoculars but the prices are very high and they are heavy, the views are outstanding though.
A good pair of quality 15x bino's paired with a very good quality HD glass spotting scope make a much easier combo to pack.
The Swaro 80 HD is light and easy to pack, great optics.
Outstanding glass and light weight do not come cheap either in bino's or scopes (My name is Art and I am and opticholic..please help me).
The Steiner 30x80's might be a solution but their individual focus can cause problems for some folks.
Spending a little more up front for quality glass will pay off in the field.
Good luck on which ever combo you decide on.
Art

Good day.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2012 at 20:27
Also consider that several spotters, especially some of the more expensive ones, are now offered with wide angle zoom eyepieces and wide angle fixed power eyepieces that are certainly comparable with the field of view in a set of big eye binoculars. It just depends on how much you want to spend. The least expensive model would be something like the Promaster 65 ED model, then the Zen Ray and finally the Swaro and the Leica.
Frank
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Pedneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 12:40
I was considering this.

http://www.competitor.com/kowa-tsn-660-series-prominar-ed-glass-waterproof-spotting-scopes-w-ed-glass-body-only.html

I am going to sell my Steiner Peregrine XP 10X44 to help fund my purchase.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 23:07
That Kowa 66mm HD is very good glass, lightweight too and a wide selection of eyepieces.
Some sheep and goat hunters are beginning to use them here in Alaska, so far good reviews.
Frankly, given the quality of the Kowa HD's glass the only thing a Swaro or Leica would get you is a wide angle variable eyepiece...the cost would be almost double and then it would only get you another ten minutes at twighlight (My test with my friends and I).
I say go for it and enjoy the views.
Art
Good day.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Pedneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2012 at 11:50
I have herd a lot of good things about the Kowas. I have a friend who has an older one and I really like it. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA Pedneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2012 at 11:54
As I stated earlier I need to sell my XP binos first. That will be a major chunk of my spotting scope budget!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic