OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where does this term come from?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where does this term come from?
    Posted: July/13/2012 at 18:53
I am constantly hearing people say "cotten pickn" or "AHHHH cotten picker" when they are frustrated instead of saying a swear such as ahhh s***.  Where does this come from? I live in MO. Do people say that in other parts of the US or other countries? Just curious, seems like older religious fellas say it most. 
Dont take yourself to seriously
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 19:01
Don't know where it originated, but yes I've heard it in "my neck of the woods" LOL
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 20:15

Here's one explanation of "cotton picker etymology on the web:
http://open.salon.com/blog/heather_michon/2010/08/31/wait_one_cotton-picking_minute

I kinda cottoned to that little red- headed hillbilly gal until she took a shine to that...

"Well, I swan" (I swear)
What in tar- nation?

That's not the whole nine yards, so I'm fixin' to go look up some more of these, pretty soon.

"Why, you goldurned whipersnapper, Consarn it!, yer durn tootin'!  and  durn persnickety female"
  ... "dadburn sidewindin' sodbusters"

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2012 at 08:05
I'm from "Down South'....

Cotton pickers were either slaves or Migrant workers who were known to have sticky fingers and would walk off with anything not nailed down...

Hence the term.... 'keep your cotton picking fingers or hands off my stuff!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2012 at 08:42
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I'm from "Down South'....

Cotton pickers were either slaves or Migrant workers who were known to have sticky fingers and would walk off with anything not nailed down...

Hence the term.... 'keep your cotton picking fingers or hands off my stuff!

Sounds about like our national sport. I bet you wished you never grew cotton and never needed those cotton picking guys from our neck of the woods. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2012 at 09:32
If only we could change history!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic