OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Strike Fire Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdj588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Strike Fire Problem
    Posted: July/13/2012 at 14:01
I recently purchased a vortex strike fire sight. Looks great on the outside. However, The actual dot is not quite a dot. When it is red it looks more like some kind of nick than a dot. When it is green it is a closer to a dot than when its red but the bottom has streaks shooting down a bit.

Anyway, I wanted to know if this is normal of red dot sights. Its almost like a Mcdonalds commercial. The burger in the picture is not what you get. For me, the actual dot in the picture is not what I got.

Thanks
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 14:46
Are you looking at it with the intinsity turn full up?  Sometimes its to bright to get a clear picture.  Try turning it down and see if that helps.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 16:12
Sounds right to me. Wink
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 22:07
The one I have is a dot. Only appears a comma when glaringly bright.
Old Mil ftw
topbrass View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topbrass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 23:56
I bought one and returned it.  Dot was everything but a dot no matter what the intensity.

Also read alot of reviews that had problems with the dot resolution.

Its the only vortex product I dont like, so far.

YMMV
cdj588 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdj588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2012 at 12:51

I took the sight outside and looked through it and noticed a huge difference between the dot outside vs inside.

Then I started cycling through the red and green dots and everytime I changed the color the dot would change from say a perfect dot to some type of ugly star, then maybe back to an almost perfect dot, then to some blob looking scratch. I changed the light instensity and the the object I was placing the dot on and there was no change.

This sight definitely has a varied dot picture. That cant be normal right?
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2012 at 14:53
I have the same issue with EOTech and other type sights, and come to find out it's my eyes (Astigmatism).

Long story short, glass that has etched type reticles ( dots, donuts, etc) or illuminated reticles look fine and the fiber optic/tritruim dots in the accupoint scope look great to me.

Eagle

Edited by EAGLE - July/14/2012 at 15:01
permaculture View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote permaculture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2012 at 21:28
I am interested in buying one of these scopes.  I understand the price point is much less than an Eotech or Aimpoint, so I am willing to live with a dot that is not quite a dot.  Someone at work had one and that one did not have a defined circle either.

How big of a deal is this?  I am not a police officer, a member of the military and despite having seen Red Dawn, I don't really expect to have to depend on a red-dot for my survival?  Is it just a preference issue?  I understand some want a perfect dot, but lacking that, is this something that would keep my from hitting 2 inches at 100 yards with an AR with 77 grain rounds?
cdj588 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdj588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2012 at 21:36
My issue is purely preference and the fact it bugs the hell out of me. However, to maybe answer your question, the dot is going to cover a good bit of the target at 100 yards even as a perfect dot. Now imagine the dot is even bigger and becuase its a dot with random lines shooting out from it. Youve just lost sight of even more of the target. Thats what bothers me. Is the irregularity of the dot. I just dont know what Im going to get when I turn it on so I dont exactly know what I will be able to see.

On a positive note, the sight is a well made unit and comes with a lifetime warranty. Also, I heard the customer serive is really nice. So just buy one and deal with the issue if it pops up.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2012 at 08:09
Strikefire has a four MOA dot, so it is not ideal for precision fires even if the dot didn't have the issues cdj describes.  You may be better off with something like Vortex's PST 1-4x scope or better yet SWFA's SS version.

I have the PST scope and regularly shoot 69 and 77gr Sierra bullets.  Magnification of the scope gives me the ability to shoot more accurately than a red dot.

Red dot optics are better suited for fast shooting close range engagements.  They work effectively at a distance for hitting steel plates, but not the best choice when  you are trying to punch holes in the x ring.
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2012 at 11:45
Take the sight and look down it on a comfortable, applicable intensity.

If it glares or blooms twist the entire optic while looking at the dot.

If the iregular dot twists with the optic, it is a defect.
If the dot remains the same while twisting the optic it is a a problem with your vision seeing the dot correctly.
Dillon@SWFA.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic