OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need advice on a scope for 7mm under $500

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvjunior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need advice on a scope for 7mm under $500
    Posted: March/05/2006 at 23:02

I have a savage synthetic stock 7mm rem mag bolt action. I use the rifle for 500+ yard target shooting and hunting deer antelope and elk. I was looking at the burris full field II 4.5-14x42 but I think after reading the posts here I would like a larger tube and objective. I am hoping to stay under $500

any advise would help

abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2006 at 13:44
Buy yourself a Zeiss conquest. It is in the ballpark but much better than a fullfield. The signature series is better than the fullfield but not as good to me as my conquest.
abailey54
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2006 at 16:22

What do you need a larger tube for?

Buy the best 1" scope you can afford in the 3-9x40 or so range and it will work like a charm.  If you feel you need a bit more magnification, you can step up to 4-16x or thereabouts, but it is hardly needed for any sort of hunting.

ILya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2006 at 16:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

What do you need a larger tube for?

Yeah.....

And WHERE did you read that we recommend bigger objectives here at OT???

I thought we ran all those "objective grande" guys off.

Welcome to The OT!!!!!!!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lvjunior View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvjunior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2006 at 21:15

I am leaning very heavily towards the burris signature series 4.5-16X44 with the balistiplex and posilock. Am I getting in the right ballpark? It has a 1" tube and the smaller 44mm objective. I like the 4.5-16 for long range target shooting without getting hurt to bad for closer range shots in the field. I also am under the impression that a paralux adjustment is nessesary. Am I off base on this too. It looks like riflescope.com has spretty good prices on these scopes, any other thoughts on that.

Thanks for responding to my post I was just about to make a purchase (apparently the wrong one) before I got your responses

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2006 at 22:28
Burris Signature Select is a good scope (easily one of my favourites).  I think you mean a 4-16x44 model.  Probably one of the better scopes for the money.  I will certainly serve you well.

I would not call 44mm a "smaller objective" by any stretch of imagination, but it is appropriate if you plan to use high magnification regularly.

ILya
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2006 at 09:01
Save some money and don't get the Posi-Lock.  It's really not needed; just something else to go wrong.
lvjunior View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lvjunior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2006 at 18:31

Thank you for all of the help. Glad I stumbled across this site

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2006 at 18:43
Originally posted by lvjunior lvjunior wrote:

Glad I stumbled across this site

Glad your here!!!  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic