OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Razor HD or Swarovski ATM65 non HD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crockett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Razor HD or Swarovski ATM65 non HD
    Posted: July/12/2012 at 20:43
Can anyone tell me if I'll see a difference between the Vortex Razor HD and the Swarovski ATM 65 non HD - other than the difference in low light. I'd assume thr Razor would be better in low light but I'm wondering about the difference the HD with the Razor will make compared to the non HD Swarovski.

I can get the Razor for less money than the Swarovski but I like the lighter weight of the Swaro over the Razor. I'm just not sure I can spring for the higher cost of the Swaro.

Thanks,
Crockett
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 21:01
Other than the weight and exit pupil differences, the Razor will have noticeably better chromatic abberation control.

Both are very good spotters.
-Matt
Crockett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crockett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 22:36
OK -- does that mean if I take pictures through the scope, I'll be happier with the quality of the pictures taken through the Razor?

Crockett
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 22:42
Yes, digiscoping is when you will reap the benefit of good CA control the MOST.
-Matt
Crockett View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crockett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2012 at 01:13

I stopped in at Cabela’s a few days ago, so I could decide what I wanted to buy. The young man behind the counter did a really good job for me. I asked to see the difference between the Vortex Razor HD and a Swarovski 65 ATM (non HD). He took me outside with both scopes and a tripod and let me look at the Coburg hills. I was very impressed with his knowledge and the customer service he provided.

I thought the Swarovski was a little clearer but I cold see the fringing around the edges they talk about with the non HD scopes. The Vortex was really close to the Swarovski but there wasn’t any fringing around the edges. I thought the eye relief on the Vortex was a little easier for me to use but before I actually handled both scopes I was pretty set on the Swarovski because of the lighter weight. After actually handling both scopes, I didn’t think the Vortex was so much heavier that it would bother me – and I thought I might want to digiscope with it – so decided to buy the Vortex. 

I live outside the city and was able to take the scope outside when I got home and set it up on a cheap tripod I've got. It looks to me that I'd easily be able to see deer at a mile! A couple of weeks ago I got a closeout price on a demo Vortex CBX tripod without a head. It's a really rock solid tripod and now all I've got to do is buy a fluid head. I've tried the Manfrotto 322RC2 and really like that head but now need to find the dollars to buy it because I shot my wad on the spotting scope.

I drew for mule deer in the desert this year and am really looking forward to using this scope.

Thanks for the advice -- I think I'm really going to like this scope!

Crockett

Thhanks for the advice -- I think I'm going to be really happy with the Razor

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic