OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Woo Hoo!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woo Hoo!
    Posted: July/12/2012 at 13:43
Finally mounted my new SWFA Sample List Zeiss Conquest on the "Beast."  Rem 700 BDL stainless .300 Win Mag with a B&C Stock.  Disclaimer:  It's only pretty if you enjoy optical and ballistic performance!

Not sure why it's upside down, but you get the idea.  Also, I was stoked that the Leupy low dovetails worked.  I don't think I could get much closer to line of sight.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 13:51
Looks good!Excellent
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 15:04
That outta' do the trick! Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 16:19
That must be a counterfeit scope. The writing is backwards. Shocked To bad you got hoodwinked. Whistling LOL .
It does look good. Hope it will shoot as good as it looks.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 16:21
Not really important but how come it says Conquest in reverse on the ocular?
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 16:21
Nice rig, BTW Excellent
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 16:22
Nice stick

Eagle
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 16:35
Nice round and optics.  Great setup!!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 16:36
To get it to look right-side up, I "flipped" the photo in photo-editor.  The whole thing is inverted.  The cabinet it is resting on is actually to the left of the power strip in real-life.  Trust me, either that's a Conquest, or me and CF II are having words!!  If it's not, whoever's copying the conquests knows how to make a scope.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 18:05
Looking good Dec
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 19:57
Now that will get 1 shot 1 kill [:}
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 23:01
Thanks guys. I shot a 5/8" group with it last week. Every progression up with charges brought the groups closer together. That's been my experience with all Barnes. I'm wondering what you guys think about going a 1/2 grain higher. I'm shooting the 175gr LRX, and Barnes says to use their 180 gr data, and I'm already over that, but the only pressure sign is slightly flattened, but not cratered, primers.   What say ye?
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 09:24
Stop.
If you are already seeing pressure signs and your loads are that accurate, why go on? Another 1/2 gr increment at this point could cause significant pressure increase... maybe in .1 gr. increments., but again, you're already hot. There is also a very good chance that your groups will start to open up again. Accurate loads are not so much a function of velocity as they are of getting the load to match up with barrel vibrations at what is called an "accuracy node".
Having said that, sometimes there are compelling reasons to load everything as hot as you can, but If you are already finding great accuracy and starting to get pressure signs...

Your barrel vibrates at different rates with different loads and there will be points where all the vibrations are minimum and you get the best groups. That's oversimplified, but essentially  the way it is and your barrel will have minimum and maximum vibrations with different load combos.

One very efficient method of finding your minimum group nodes is to just load one round each in .1 grain increments and move upwards from lowest load to highest. Then, shooting at 300 yard target (at 300 yards the groups will open up more than at 100 yds and make the results more visible) fire each into the same target, noting the results through a spotter- optics assistance. You will find that there will be several incremental loads which shoot together in a group and then you will find the next few walking out of the group until you find the next "node" and then another group will start to form... those are your accuracy nodes and you can fine tune within the .1gr. loads which produced the group to determine the very best group.

Another method- start at minimum and load and fire 5-10 round groups in 1/2 grain increments and you will find your nodes, which can further be fine tuned.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 10:20
Alan, not arguing with your process at all.  I think it's spot on.  You mention nothing about seating depths.  Do you just seat on the lands and then proceed with dickering with charges or what?  
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 11:25
I typically use my OAL gauge to seat the bullets about .05 off the lands per Barnes recommendation.  Most of the time I see a marginal increase in accuracy in my rifles by going to .07, but .05 seems to work pretty well.

Thanks Alan.  I know I should leave well enough alone, I just can't help tinkering.  Although my load is higher than advertised for the 180 by Barnes, it's less than some published loads out there, so I'm torn.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 12:13
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Alan, not arguing with your process at all.  I think it's spot on.  You mention nothing about seating depths.  Do you just seat on the lands and then proceed with dickering with charges or what?  
Howdy JG- you bring up a great point.

I generally measure c.o.a.l. touching the lands and back off about .005" to work up a load. That eliminates pressure rises that can be experienced when the bullet is touching the lands and keeps things simpler and that's about where they will end up anyway. Some people start with a larger jump to lands and there is no compelling reason to use .005" .  I do try new loads with Berger VLDs in the lands and some slightly off and try them both when tuning, because they work best into the lands sometimes.
Mostly,  I have all my loads where I want them and am also getting lazy in my old age, so don't fiddle around as much trying to micro- tune. Another reason is, I've been getting more range time lately, so spend more time trying to load up enough to shoot than figuring what to load.

Having denied fiddling with oal much anymore, I just bought 2 new bullets and 1 new powder last week so i guess I will after all.

If I want to load real steamers and see how fast I can get 'em going, I'll back them way out of the lands- might need the real hot stuff  in case of zombie buffaloes on the loose, or something.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic