OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which reticle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which reticle?
    Posted: July/11/2012 at 20:06
Looks like I've decided on a Conquest 3.5 x 10 x 44 to on a .270 for low light deer hunting.
Which reticle would be better for low light?   Rapid Z 600 or # 4
The Samplelist has been good to me so far so I hope to find it there.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 21:41
I think it would kind of depend on wether or not your looking for to do any longer shooting using hold over. If that is a need, then the rapid z would be a great choice for the .270. If not then either would do the job.

If you do decide on the rapid z, then be sure to check out Ziess's website and punch in the data for your load and use their ballistic calculator to give you hold over readings.

Good luck
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 23:38
The Rapid Z reticle is thin, but still visible in legal light. I've played around with mine on semi- moonlit nights and while the ranging function wasn't useful in the dark, I could still get a crosshair on anything that wasn't in shadow.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 06:21
In low light, I'd opt for the #4.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 08:32
I have examples of both.  The Rapid Z is a cool reticle, but it's quite thin.  The #4 is FAR superior to Rapid Z for low light visibility.  It isn't even close.  The #4's very thick outer posts contrast well and are pretty easy to see in dim light.  Even if you can't pick up the center crosshairs, the posts help guide your eye to the center of the reticle.  You'll likely lose the center of the Rapid Z at the limits of legal shooting light, when you won't be doing any long range shooting anyway.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 08:41
Ditto on the #4 being much superior.  
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 09:21
+1 on the #4 for hunting in low light
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 10:14
I was always a standard plex reticle guy, but the last few years I've added #4 reticles almost exclusively.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 10:18
Don't want to leave the impression that the Rapid Z isn't a trick, useful reticle, but if the decision criteria is strictly which is better for low light, the #4 is your huckleberry.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 11:12
I have to agree with Ted.

The number 4 reticle is great for hunting larger game. You'll find that the rapid Z, or from what I have seen. The Rapid Z reticle is very popular with Varnmit hunters.

Brad, I think either would work well with your .270, but the rapid reticle might by a little busy. I think you may find the number 4 more suitable for your needs.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 11:13
I'd agree with everyone else about #4 being the best in low light. That really goes without saying.

"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 12:22
I have a #4 Swarovski on my muzzleloader.  I get the "illusion" of a larger FoV in the top half . . .

Nice avatar there stillhuntin. 
Outrider View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 21:25
I have tried plex reticles and #4s in low light for several years. IMO the #4 is way ahead of any traditional crosshair in very low light as long as the end of the heavy bars aren't widely separated from the crosshair intersection. All #4s aren't the same and the distance from the end of the wide bars to the intersection varies quite a bit among scope brands. In my own experience, those #4s with a narrow separation between the wide bars and the crosshair intersection tend to work best when the light is all but gone.
Outrider
stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2012 at 09:34

Thanks everyone for all the positive input and it really helped with my decision.

I just purhased a 3.5-10x44 Conquest with a #4 reticle from the Samplelist. Sonny handled the purchase and he was very patient (with all my questions) and knowledgeable, as they always are. The lifetime transferable warranty is comforting and I can't wait for delivery early next week. 
stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2012 at 14:47
Hello everyone,

I just received my 3.5-10x44 Conquest with a #4 reticle. It looks great and I hope to sight it in Thursday. I could not find the two smudge marks on the bell that they said were there. Aw shucks!

Once again the staff at SWFA has exceeded my expectations.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic