OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lost zero after 90 shots--normal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2012 at 07:57
I have the Fat Wrench as well. The specs call for 10-15 inch-pounds on aluminum rings (which I wouldn't recommed) and 15-20 inch pounds on steel rings.

I tighten mine in incriments and in a sequence (like the lug nuts on a wheel). I tightened all screws to 10 inch-pounds, retighten in the same sequence to 15 inch-pounds, do it again at 20 inch-pounds. I am a bit anal though . . .
proimion View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proimion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2012 at 00:51
Another update from the OP. I re-zeroed the scope today and fired 120 rounds. Held zero just fine. I was able to consistently hit my targets at both 100 and 200 yards with no trouble. I really like the scope.

Thanks for the advice, y'all.

I chose the Wheeler FAT wrench because it was easily available from Amazon and other places and it comes with a nice variety of bits.

I chose 15 in/lbs of torque on the rings, because, well, that's what seemed best. I couldn't find any documentation from Burris that said what torque to use for the PEPR rings. And the Wheeler documentation didn't seem to apply--their recommendations were much higher but seemed to be for larger screws and/or steel rings. So after a lot of searching around, two numbers consistently came up: 18 and 15. Indeed, both were also recommended on this thread.

So I chose 15 and figured if it proved to be too loose, I would try 18. But after 120 rounds, the scope did not move in the mounts and it held zero. I suspect that previously I had it too tight.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2012 at 01:07
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear it is working for you.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2012 at 08:24
Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RobGR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2013 at 22:42
Bumping a dead thread here, but I found it helpful because I was dealing with the exact issue.

For anyone who finds this thread in the future, I emailed Burris and got the following response -

Hi Rob,

Make sure the ring top screws are torque to 22 inch pound and the cross bolt at 85 inch pounds.
Yup, (I) use LocTite blue on my bases and rings.

Regards,

Brian Fowler
Customer Service Technician

Not sure how to measure the torque on my cross bolt, but will probably go 20 inch pound on the top ring screws.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2013 at 22:37
Originally posted by castlebravo castlebravo wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The proper tool is a wrench that sets exact torque, there are many options. The "short arm vs long arm" method assums many things - and can result in significant deviation from spec torques.

Any specific tool recommendations?

Seekonk torque drivers.  Each Seekonk driver is pre-set to a specific inch/lb torque.  The bad news is they are expensive; $115.00 per driver.  I have 4 of them; 65 inch/lbs, 25 inch/lbs, 20 inch/lbs and a 15 inch/lbs.  I bought one per year starting about 10 years ago.  To me, for mounting scopes, they are hard to beat.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 06:55
http://swfa.com/Borka-Tools-MG7-Multi-Torque-Driver-Kit-P59403.aspx
This what I use on everything firearm related! It flat works!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 08:49
85 and 22? Really? Wow.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 10:22
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

85 and 22? Really? Wow.

That while that is not necessarily the case here, I have found that some ring/mount makers recommend higher torque ratings than really necessary.  With some scopes these torque ratings can actually cause problems (not the SS), but from a mount maker's standpoint it is better to risk the scope than to have the customer think that the mount is not good enough and the scope slipped.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic