OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope glare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Hoppalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope glare
    Posted: July/10/2012 at 17:38
How much do I have to spend to get rid of the glare?
I've got a few nikon prostaffs, a redfield revolution and a couple of vortex diamondbacks. All create a lot of strong glare or haze over in low light conditions, facing the sun or facing around 90deg away from the sun.
These scopes I have are better than the ones I used to own. Which were worth $50-70USD

Is the glare noticable less in scopes supierior to the diamonback (seeing as that's my best, optically)
or is in minimal?
"I don't know what World War III will be fought with, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Sir Hoppalot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Hoppalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 17:44
I also do a lot of spot lighting using a strong LED torch, this can create annoying glare if the light is shone at certain positions or get 'bounceback' off i.e. a tree.
"I don't know what World War III will be fought with, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 13:31
Tim,

Without having all the details, of how you are using the flashlight its difficult to fathom what you see.

With reflection, I would implement a sun shade or an ARD. One or both of these options can help reduce that.

I did this with mine, not a sun shade but with an ARD.

I'm just trying to imagine, what your seeing.

I will try and get you a picture of mine and you can see how it works with the objective bell.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 14:24
This is a view through the objective.

An angled shot of the ARD.

Both the components together.

I used the Tenebraex's ARD with Butler Creek's 27Obj.
Butler Creek Flip-Open Objective Cover Butler Creek Flip-Open Objective Cover
Stock # - 27OBJ
  • Waterproof Solid Cover System
  • Airtight to Seal Out Dust and Moisture
  • Spring Action Lid
$8.95

Tenebraex #3 Anti-Reflection Device Tenebraex #3 Anti-Reflection Device
Stock # - SUNGUARD3
  • Matte
$13.95
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Hoppalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 15:52
skylar

the ARD looks like it would illiminate side glare for me, I'm unsure if it works for direct glare?
Thanks for suggesting it, I have not seen them before. I just bought two OBJ Butler creek caps so it wouldn't take much to try the ARD out.

To try discribe better the glare I am seeing. It is generally a white haze that I think can be on the outside of the FOV or cover the whole image. If the objective lens is dusty or smudgy the issue will worsen, at night at least, I've not verified that by day, but assume.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 16:09
One downside to the ARD is they significantly reduce the amount of light that gets into your scope.  Meaning it will not be as bright.  I would go for a sun shade if I were you.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 16:10
The ARD and/or sunshade will also make the image "darker" keep that in mind. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 16:17
Tim, mate...it will directly help with direct glare.

How this works is the ARD, is about a 6.35mm thick. And it's AKA is kill flash. In the bush, you can use a mirror to reflect light in to tight dark areas. Your objective lens essentially will do the same thing.  When light hits it, it will reflect that light back.

Snipers when conducting reconnaissance will look for that in the field to detect potential threats.

I use it similarly, This rifle is used for predator and ferrrel pig hunting only.  Coyotes specifically are very a very timid target.  If they notice any irregularity, they are gone.  I typically hunt them early in the morning and late in the evening. Seems the sun is always on the horizon working against me.

Once they spot the flash or reflection from the sun on the objective glass my day is over. That is why I implemented this tool.  It has helped me be more effective on the two ranches that I help with predator control.

Hope this helps.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Hoppalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 16:20
As I normally encounter the issue in lower light situations, the ARD or sunshade doesn't sound like the perfect solution, though I'd definately like to try them out. Can a butler creek attach to a sunshade ok?
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 16:21
If the OD is the same, it should.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Hoppalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 16:30
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Hope this helps.

It does, thank you.
We don't get coyotes here, perhaps why I've not seen these ARDs before, though I had seen Nikons coyote scopes (online in the US)
It sounds like it works well for you and that you work in similar lighting conditions that I would find the glare issue arise.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 16:32
I will still try a sunshade if they make one for your scopes, it will not darken your image as much as the ARD.  It just shades the side, where the ARD shades the sides and reduces the ability for light to reach the objective.  No doubt they have their place and needs.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 20:57
I found that the diamondback is especially picky if the lens is dirty at all it flares worse. When its squeeky clean its g2g.

I don't believe there is a sunshade for the vortex but you can use a rubber band and black paper or jimmy rig a toilet paper roll or anything you can think up.
Old Mil ftw
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 21:16
Originally posted by Sir Hoppalot Sir Hoppalot wrote:

skylar

To try discribe better the glare I am seeing. It is generally a white haze that I think can be on the outside of the FOV or cover the whole image. If the objective lens is dusty or smudgy the issue will worsen, at night at least, I've not verified that by day, but assume.

That is called veiling glare.

First, experiment with a sunshade (no, it does not make the image darker if it is designed right).

If that does not help, prepare to dig into you retirement account.  Good optics are costly.

ILya
ohtreethirtyone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohtreethirtyone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2012 at 21:23
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

When light hits it, it will reflect that light back.

Snipers when conducting reconnaissance will look for that in the field to detect potential threats.

Back in the day before all the cool toys, the snipers in the Corps would take riggers tape and tape the objective of the scope to prevent reflection in the field. Some like a horizontal slot cut in the tape in line with the reticle and others liked a small circle cut in the tape centered on the reticle.

When Butler Creek caps came out, they did basically the same thing without the tape, and kept the cap closed on the objective.

Binos were done in the same fashion.

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2012 at 12:02
I was going to say what you could do is tape the obj bell bell, or drill a hole in the Butler Creek.

That's an oldie, but still a goodie.
Snack_Attack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 09:41
Originally posted by Sir Hoppalot Sir Hoppalot wrote:

skylar

Sorry for the necrobump, but I seem to be having a similar if not identical issue. I considered returning my Diamondback and getting the Redfield. But you say it has the same issue? I would describe it as a haze that starts at the bottom of the exit pupil and moves upward until it completely fills the image as I move my eye into the correct alignment with the eyepiece. It is only present at high magnification in low light, and is present regardless of the position of the sun moon or stars. It is there even after the sun is completely set. My objective lens has only been clean, so I don't k ow if dust will make it worse. Is this "veiling glare"? Is it a common problem? If I can expect the same of the Redfield and similarly priced optics then I should just keep my diamondback, since it does have otherwise nice features.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 14:08
Found an image on Google that pretty well represents what I'm seeing.[IMG]http:// [/IMG]
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 18:32
Try a sunshade.

It is a common problem.  Just to be clear: you do not see this kind of image quality deterioration in good light, do you?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snack_Attack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2016 at 19:07
It's not visible in daylight, it starts around sunset and gets worse as light continues to fade. I placed my hand over the objective to mimic a sunshade; the image darkened slightly and the glare was gone. I Jerry rigged a shade with paper and a rubber band, that didn't help. I think I would need a he'll of a long shade or block the upper 3rd of the objective with tape. Really trying to determine whether or not this scope is a turd, my other choice was the Redfield Revolution, but sir hoppalot says he has both and both have the problem, that is if he and I are seeing the same glare.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic