OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Difference?? Zeiss Victory FL and Hensoldt?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Difference?? Zeiss Victory FL and Hensoldt?
    Posted: July/09/2012 at 20:34
The Zeiss Victory FL scopes look almost identical to the Hensoldt tactical models, so is there a difference besides the markings?
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/09/2012 at 21:40
I know that many will disagree with me and I could well be wrong. Maybe I misunderstood the the Zeiss rep at the NRA convetion but the the main one is the lighting control for Zeiss is a rheostat and the other is a digital control. Other differences (according to my understanding - and I might be wrong) are turrets and reticles. Have seen stated here that there are different lens coatings and the military version has stronger insides. But according to the Zeiss rep at the NRA convetion only the earlier listing are the differences.

Gappa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 15:40
Really!!?? There must not be any difference.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/10/2012 at 22:54
All the Hensoldts I have seen have 34mm tubes.
Gappa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 09:57
the victory 72mm also has a 34mm tube
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 10:44
When I looked at both at the last SHOT show I attended, they looked to have many similarities.  Given the fact they both come from the same parent company and models from both lines share similar specs, I'm betting they share some of the same design elements, technology, and parts.  Without hearing directly from Zeiss, seeing a design schematic, or disassembling the scopes, there's no way to know for certain.

One thing is certain; they are both superb scopes!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Gappa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 17:40
Also it seems the 6-24x56 Hensoldt seems to be a 30mm tube so that directly contradicts you Sparky
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 18:20
Hensoldt is constructed to MIL-SPEC, has tougher internals and harder coatings... more scratch resistant.  The illumination controls are digital.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 18:46
Because the Hensoldt is mil-spec it does not mean the scope under the Zeiss label is built to the different spec's. It would seem logical that they share most of the main components.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 18:49
I invite you to phone HUDISCO and talk to them about it... I already have.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 19:03
Real Mil-Spec means things like seals and some lens coatings are impervious to various poison gases, radiation, shock and impact.
After you have been gassed, nuked and thumped by artie your scope will work...you probably won't but the  scope will.
Art
Good day.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 19:32
There is some room for confusion on both our points. Did your inquire about essential the same scopes marked under different names or just the differences of Hensoldt vs Zeiss? On my side the two times I have talked to some from Zeiss it was about 6x24-72.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 19:50
Zeiss adjustment range is 57.6 MOA(16.75Mils)
Hensoldt adjustment is 68.76MOA (20Mils)
Hensoldt
-More abrasion resistant coatings on lenses to meet Mil Spec requirements
-Beefier internal working mechanisms
- Different turret system
-Different illumination control, microprocessor instead of rheostat

dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 19:58
My I inquire the above's source?

Respectfully
dsr

Thanks    
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 20:01
Originally posted by gulf1263 gulf1263 wrote:

Real Mil-Spec means things like seals and some lens coatings are impervious to various poison gases, radiation, shock and impact.
After you have been gassed, nuked and thumped by artie your scope will work...you probably won't but the  scope will.
Art

ROFLMAO
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 20:06
NATO has certain standards, if the Hensoldt 6x24x72 meets those standards then the internals would be different.
Material that is not Mil-Spec can still be used by various military forces.
As an example, binoculars, the US Navy requires among many other things that to meet their standards the binocular model must be able to be submerged to a certain depth, in water with certain chemicals and be shaken at a certain vibration frequency for a given period of time and remain water proof in addition to the standards for resolution, clarity, color rendition, etc.
They buy lots of binoculars that don't meet that standard because they found they are good enough for the O's to gaze out at stuff with.
Most US military services have found that the O's end up with all the good stuff and the EM's who need the equipment won't get it, so they buy off the shelf, which is cheaper so that everyone can have something.
SOF's are different in that they try to provide all the good stuff to everyone.
Anyway, just because something isn't mil-spec does not mean the military isn't using it or a slightly beefed up version.
French Foreign Legion uses lots of Hensoldt, Swaro, S&B and Zeiss scopes that are not mil-spec per se but meet their requirements.
Art

Good day.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 20:17
Originally posted by dsr dsr wrote:

My I inquire the above's source?

Respectfully
dsr

Thanks    

HUDISCO
Vr,
KB

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 20:23
Originally posted by Gappa Gappa wrote:

Also it seems the 6-24x56 Hensoldt seems to be a 30mm tube so that directly contradicts you Sparky

Good grief I said "All the Hensoldts I have seen have 34mm tubes.". I did not say they all have 34mm tubes. And if you want to get technical there is also a 34mm version of the 6-24x56 Hensoldt.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 20:23
Thank you for the prompt reply!

dsr
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2012 at 20:38

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic